1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 component connectivity?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keppy, Oct 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a NEC 42MP3 plasma screen, Sony DVP-NS700V DVD deck and Pace NTL (UK) box connected to my Denon 2802.

I'd like to get component video feeds to the screen, but because the equipment has a mix of RGB and YUV ins/outs it's not obvious the best way to do this.

So, anyone have any idea what the optimum cabling setup would be for this mix of kit?

Thanks,

Keith

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sony DVD YUV component straight into the 2802. Pace NTL box into a J.S. Tech RGB2YUV converter, YUV into the 2802. 2802 component out into the NEC. Job done ;) Assuming the NEC has a component input ...

3. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good try, but the Sony DVP-NS700V doesn't have a YUV output. AFAIK it only has SCART RGB output.

The NEC 423MP3 screen has both YUV and RGBHV inputs BTW.

Therefore given the Denon AVR-2802 can only output YUV component, i'm a little stuck.

Any more ideas (preferably that don't involve converting GRB to YUV or vice-versa as I may as well just buy a DVD player that outputs YUV component for a little over the cost of a convertor!!)

Cheers,

Keith

4. garfy

garfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar query ..... I have a Denon 3802 amp, which up till now I have been switching video (yellow plug) and s-video - svideo throught.

I read on another message board somewhere that the Denon 3803 switches between the yellow video and svideo inputs and outputs to component video.

Is this true, and does it work on the 3802?

Also, if I was to buy a plasma tv supporting progressive scan (works through the 3 componen video plugs i understand), would this work if it was switched through the amplifier. i.e. does the progressive scan signal pass through the component switching?

i.e. I want 3802 connected to the plasma via component connector, and then all differnt inputs (including progressive scan component from dvd) into the 3802.

Will this work? Has anyone done anything similar?

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Oh right, a trick question ;)

The 2802 doesn't upconvert so, as you've got no YUV sources you're right, you're a bit stuck - you'll have to do some conversion at some point.

Cheapest way would be to pass the NTL scart thru the Sony DVD (don't tell me, there's no 2nd scart on the DVD ?), then an RGB2YUV convertor from the scart-out on the DVD into the NEC, bypassing the amp altogether.

Best I can offer I'm afraid ... try posting in the plasma forum, the people there are much smarter than me.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    garfy,

Should all work fine. I use a 2802 to switch a PS2 and a prog.scan DVD player into a plasma.

3802 adds up-conversion of those lesser signals to component into the mix.

Only gotcha is, I think, that there are only two inputs to switch between.

7. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thought so. as it's just the DVD player i *really* want via component, i may just switch the dvd player for one that does YUV.

cwick - out of interest, how do you connect your PS2 and DVD to your 2802, and how do you connect your 2802 to your plasma?

one final thought - does anyone know if a sony ns700 dvd player with SCART RGB out output RGBHV? the reason for asking is that my plasma accepts RGB via 5 RGBHV connections - i thought RGB was 3 connections!?!?

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    keppy,

I just use component cables everywhere (3x RCA jobbies). So ..

PS2-> Component cable -> 2802
    DVD-> component cable -> 2802

2802 -> component cable -> plasma

Pretty straightforward.

9. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cwick, the reason for asking was that i didn't know the ps2 outputs YUV! obviously does though....

Keith

10. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yep, you just need the right cable. It can even output prog.scan on some games (not many - Tekken 4 I think). Loads of info in the consoles forum :smashin:

11. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have checked around and posted in the Consoles forum, but the replies are all linking to RGB component cables...obviously different. I also understand you need to go into the PS2 startup menu to change the output (can't check as don't get back to mine until Friday).

Therefore can you let me know who makes your YUV cable?

Cheers,

Keith

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    TBH, I can't remember :confused:

Sony do one here , but it's more than twice the price I paid for mine.

I'll have a dig around when I get home this evening, I'm sure I have the order receipt email tucked away in one of my mail folders.

Actually, I think a friend of mine has a spare one. PM me if you're interested and I'll let him know.

Cheers, Carl.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The 3803 does upconvert composite & S-Video to component, but the 3802 does not. It will only output the same signal as input ie composite in = composite out only.
    Also the 3802 does not output the on screen display for setting the receiver up via component.

Mark.

14. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0