Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 2802 causing lip sync problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ian Cox, Apr 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its another Denon post but I have checked everywhere on the net and I can not find anyone with the same problem as me, so here it comes another Denon post - sorry:(

My problem is this, I have just upgraded my Yamaha A595a to the Denon 2802, which is superb apart from one problem: I am now getting lip syncing problems on both DVD's and TV.

Some of the time it is not that noticeable but now that I have seen it nearly everything that I watch has this problem to a greater or lesser extent. I never had a problem with my Yamaha but on some sources the Denon is showing really bad lip syncing. I have even watched a number of DVD's that never showed any lip syncing but now do on the Denon, even though it is minor.

So has anybody else seen this on the Denon 2802, or the Denon amp's generally or is it a problem with my amp. Or am I just very sensitive to lip syncing.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.:)

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not had any lipsync problems myself.

the fact you are getting problems with DVDs & TV is odd and I suspect important.

silly question... presume you have the delays set properly
    on the speaker setup page?

I expect this would cause something similar to what you are describing...

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I also was tempted to go for the 2800 for progressive pal and ntsc, but after reading all the posts about lip sonc problems with this player I decided to go fo the Toshiba sd-510.

Is it multi region?
    If so, do you have the latest firmware update, if not, do a search in the DVD hardware section to find out what the latest firmware is.

Good Luck.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    TimH: He has the AVR 2802 receiver not, DVD 2800.

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo

Yes all the delay times are correct. The only thing that I can think of that may be causing the delay is my amp and DVD player are 5 metres away from the TV and cable box. This means I have fairly long runs of cable for both video and audio from one side of the room to the other. But when you think about it this should not cause any sort of problem as the signals will be travelling about the speed of light, when you take into account capacitance and inductance on the cable.

Unfortunately I did not get time to play about with the amp over the weekend as I was completing another bloody assignment for my MBA - the bane of my life.

Anyway I will have a play over the coming weekend and if I am not happy then I will take it back to the shop I brought it from. Again though if anybody else has had a similar problem to mine I would like to hear from you, or even if you haven't I would still like to hear as then I know it is a problem with just my amp.

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Just out of interest are you running the video signal via the amp??

Or is it connected directly to the tv??

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase

It is connected directly to the TV by RGB Scart, not via the amp .

8. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Ok. In that case I would take the amp back and get it looked at or get a replacement. Neither one of my Denons have done this. The cable length shouldnt affect it either.

Have you tried another dvd player?? Just to eliminate the possibility that its this?? Maybe its started to play up and just happens to coincide with getting the new amp.

9. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase

No I have not tried another DVD player but I do not think it is this as the lip syncing problem is showing itself on TV sources as well.

I still have my original amp at home so I will be doing a comparison between the two and as I said before if I am not happy then it will be going back.

Thanks for your help all.

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry ian... had nothing like that with my Denon 2802...

I have got my dvd player going over a similar 5m distance to the TV... and fairly large distances to all my speakers.

did temporarily cause something similar when I moved speakers
    around and didnt reset the delays.

have a play and take it back for a swapout I suspect.

and before Timh jumps in again with a useful hint, the Denon 2800 dvd player problems in pal progressive scan were all fixed by switching the video mode between film/video.
    :D

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Doh :blush: