Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 2800

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bling Bling, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am demoing one of the above tomorrow in it's original Mk 1 form. Dealer near me is prepared to sell me one for £ 400.00

My only consideration is DVD picture and sound quality, not interested in DVD-A or suchlike and have seperate Arcam Alpha 8 / 9/9p system for CD replay - have a Yamaha DSP E800 handling the processing and surround / centre duties, with Mission 782's for fronts and 77c centre / 751 rears.

I have checked the forums and there appears to be some doubt over this model's reliability.

Question is, if I can satisfy myself that the unit I demo tomorrow is a good 'un without any lipsynching problems etc, is there anything else at this price that I should consider ? Do the players like the Pioneer 656 and Phillips 963 match this one in terms of picture and sound quality AND throw in extra format compatibility for the same money ?

Will be using the player on a Toshiba 32 inch widescreen TV vis S-Video as my Sky Digibox uses the single RGB Scart available. My thoughts / hopes are that this DVD player will be a significant immediate improvement on my current Toshiba 210 player and also withstand and benefit from any upgrade in my amplification and display in the future.

And it looks the business in champagne gold as well. :cool:

Comments appreciated. Am demoing at 1.00 pm tomorrow so any specific questions I should ask about reliability etc would also be cool.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Run away and hide.
    With a 32" TV using S-Video I doubt you will notice any benefit of Denon DVD-2800.
    I had one of these and still have a Toshiba SD-2109 bought previously.
    If you must spend your cash, the Philips DVD-963SA is a better buy than the 2800 Mk1 for your purpose, I have one of these. I have never tried the Pioneer.
    There's no harm in having the demo, one good point of 2800 Mk 1 is the 4mb buffer to make layer change less visible. CD replay isn't as good as 963.
    If you have R2 Seven SE or Mulholland Drive R2 or R1, try the pulsing blockiness in certain chapters, there is no fix for this if the machine suffers from it, lip-synch can be dodgy on certain discs too, along with " freezing ".
    Personally, keep your Toshiba for now.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Also bear in mind you can pick up a new Mk2 version for approx £480, that original 2800 is worth alot less than £400

4. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. Found THE Denon thread this morning and read through that from start to finish - can see how this player has been something of a hit and miss affair with people.

Anyway, demo went ahead and compared to the Sony one the salesman was using as a comparison, I thought it looked and sounded decent. The shop were however using a projector as a display so I've persuaded them to let me have it on a four day home demo before I make my mind up as to whether it is in fact any worthwhile improvement over what I've already got. Will throw Matrix / Seven at it amongst others and see if it's a good un and then see if they'll take £ 350 for cash.......:devil:

Cheers.

5. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    £480!! That's £40 cheaper than I can find it. Don't suppose you would post the link

6. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Higenbs1, in my digging around, have seen Sevenoaks Sound & Vision advertising them at £ 449 for a Region 2 only model. Personal callers only and you have to mention that you have seen the promotion on the website.

http://www.sevenoakshifi.co.uk/specials/specials.html

2) That was the shortest home test in history, it's back in the box and going back to the shop tomorrow. The Seven R2 artifact problem was present when I tried this disc - haven't got the Matrix to hand tonight but as a further test I also tried R2 Monsters Inc, Chapter 27 - where the doors are flying in all directions and the floor in some overhead / birds-eye type shots was clearly breaking up into grey blocks. I wouldn't be able to enjoy watching films on this player (the whole point) because I would constantly be looking for picture faults. My old Toshiba, when reconnected, played both scenes without a problem. Shame, because I really liked the look of this player. Might go for the MK II version later.

So, the cash stays under the mattress for now.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good call. :smoke:

8. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PR sounds - Melksham, in Wilts, have got a Denon 2800 mk1 on offer at £329, they are closing down tomorrow (26th April) -
    Might accept a bit less?

Sorry for the short notice, only saw it today.
    Get your skates on if you want it:D

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
  10. Bling Bling

Bling Bling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba SD 210E. The urge to upgrade is still there but I'm going to wait a little longer and see if the MK II starts to get seriously discounted anywhere later in the year.

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I had a 520 which had a very sharp an detailed image, and is now only £170 at Richers with the What Hi Fi ad, trouble was, mine had a green shift in PAL playback which made it distracting to watch, so I took it back....

The image is comparable to a Pioneer 7XX that I saw, so it's pretty good value for money - if you get a good one of course.

Gary.