1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 2800: will it or wont it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by terryc, Oct 15, 2001.

1. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dear all
    what is the latest on the denon 2800 re :progressive scan output in pal.does anyone know if it is available over the counter,in the uk,ready to go or will i have to buy a multi-region player and download the necessary hacking data and have a go myself.if the latter,which one is guaranteed to work.i would go the htpc route as i keep reading that the performance is far superior to any dvd player but i'm not a computer geek and am not confident about the end result.so unless any reader is in the north essex(or near)area who could steer me through the htpc maze i'll go for the denon.
    any help would be gratefully received.
    thanks
    terry

2. djanzon

djanzon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Havn´t tried this myself but the you can download the necessary hack from
    http://www.geocities.com/denondvd/
    burn it on a cd-r and just play it in the Denon 2800. (that´s what I´ve read anyways!)

/djanzon

3. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend you steer away from Denon DVM-2800 due to the following problems (confirmed by two persons I know who own the player and curse themselves for it):

- Audio cuts of / drops out randomly (regardless of the dvd used)

- The player combs badly even on properly flagged film material at the beginning of chapter breaks if the beginning contains fast moving materials (due to buffer starving)

- colors and especially reds are too saturated making you lose that precious detail (i.e. when compared to Philips Q50 or Panasonic RP-56)

For these reasons I couldn't really recommend the player without reservations.

Cheers,
    Hal

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I took my denon 2800 back the next day, after it did the sound drop-out thing, but guess what it didn't do it in the shop, but it was hooked up to a denon amp..

I still got my money back.

Although I can confirm the hack works, shame the player don't.

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: ROne ]

5. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys

there seems to be too many question marks against this player.i've now seen numerous posts saying the same thing on USA forums.i may take a chance and import a ready built THPC instead.i don't suppose i can get one here in the UK? anyone know otherwise?

cheers
    terry

6. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had sound drop out once, on a knights tale through a denon 3802 amp, switching the digital output on the player menu and then back cured it, no prob since.

I get flicker through composite so run in rgb to the telly.

My sony wh10t showed it as receiving prog pal

Mike

7. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Strange - I've had a PAL progressive 2800 player for 2-3 months and have witnessed NONE of the problems mentioned above, and I've used the player a lot!

It came with the firmware already updated for £590 & outputs a definite PAL progressive signal to my projector.

Paul

8. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz

Did you get my reply?

terry

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Unless you enjoy tweaking PCs the problems you might face with even the best setup HTPC will make any problems the Denon could show pale into insignificance. I'm quite a techie sort of person and even I would hesitate to allow a PC to be my main source of DVD video...I get into enogh trouble with tweaking the limited adjustments I have already whilst watching movies ;)

The problems mentioned are mainly apparent with the earliest hacked firmware for the DVD-2800 and are not apparent in the latest version. It is possible to buy pre-modified machines in the UK but most dealers will quite cheekily charge you £££s for a very simple operation which involves burning a CDR with the file on and inserting it into the machine with a combination of key presses.

I've had mine for around 6 months now and it plays all my disks quite happily. The only consistent fault I can now see remaining is an odd flicker on composite, and to a lesser extent s-video, on particular PAL disks. RGB and Component are excellent and PAL progressive works great (though the projectors that will show it are thin on the ground!). Audio playback has been faultless too..even on MP3s.

As ever the advice is ask around your local dealers and go and have a look at one.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan
    (and if you go for an unmodded Denon let me know and I'll talk you through modifying it!)

10. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well guinan i might just take you up on your offer of assisting me when my new machine turns up!!!
    i have just ordered it and i'm getting very excited already,i just hope its as good as all of the reveiws

jason :D

11. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Won't the forthcoming Denon DVD-A1X have PAL progressive scan? As well as DVD-Audio, SACD, HDCD etc… etc…
    Mark

12. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IAN;

No! I don't want to tweak at all.I want a plug & play machine
    just like my present panny. Anyway, it looks like a HTPC is out
    of the frame now due to cost.
    When you say unmodded i assume you mean an ordinary
    multi-region machine?
    I may get back to you re: the PAL hack. Would i do so over the
    forum?

PAUL;

Where did you get your 2800 for £590 from. Do you mean in
    the UK or overseas?

regards

Terry

13. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I got my Denon 2800 from the same place as Ian Guinan - in fact he put me onto them!

www.mediacheckpoint.de

I ordered it & it arrived about 24 hours later from Germany, as opposed to various UK vendors I've ordered from before who typically take 3-5 days.

You don't need to update any firmware if you buy it from this bunch as its all done already - RCE, multi region & PAL progressive.

Alternatively, you can buy it for a few hundred quid more in the UK (strange that isn't it?) & update it yourself from a CR ROM.

Happy hunting.

Paul

14. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I have now seen a HTPC up and running into a Barco 808 and am going that route .One is being assembled for me for less than the UK price of the Denon 2800.

Cheers
    Terry