Denon 2800 Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DamianD, Dec 31, 2001.

1. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the manual it's possible to change between progressive and interlaced from the component outputs. However, when I change the video mode to interlaced on the players set-up menu, the component-outs seem to disable and all I get is a blue screen from my projector. Any other Denon 2800 owners have this problem?

Cheers,
    Damian.

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I dont own one of these but I think I have the answer. You will only get progressive scan from region 1 discs unless the player has been hacked. So if your player is only a region 2 then you cannot access the progressive scan on that player.

It is a scam by the makers of these machines to promote progressive scan as a feature on their players when it is an NTSC only feature.

PAL progressive is currently not legal due to macrovision issues and has not been ratified as of yet.

3. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently loaned a 2800 from Audio-t. Watched a R2 film in prog scan mode then selected interlaced to make a comparison, that was the last time i saw a picture from the player. It refused to display anything again including the set up screen. Whilst it was playing, the sound dropped out twice for very short periods. It did play my only HDCD superbly (Hendrix). I hope to have another demo when they have one that works properly.
    Dave

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i too have had that problem with my 2800 and a plv30 combination !!

so if someone could shed some light on this i would be very greatful

jason

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Firmware 2248 can be downloaded from the web, burnt to a CD-R, and placed in the 2800 to update the firmware to be multiregion and do both progressive NTSC 480p and PAL 576p.
    It's a german site, do a search from google, ie denon + 2800 + firmware + 2248.

6. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's been updated with firmwares 5248 and 2248 and is multiregion, progessive pal etc. For the player to output progessive pal, maybe the interlaced output of the components must be disabled? Seems odd but I can't think of any other explaination. Can anyone with a non-modifed 2800 shed some light on this?

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't quite understand what you are saying. 2248 is the "modified" version of 5248. 5248 is one of the newest unmodified official denon firmwares for the 2800. 5250 just came out, but there isn't a mod'ed version yet. You should be able to load 5248 if you want to try it, but you will only be able to do 480p. I haven't purchased a 2800, so I have only played with the "unmodified" version in the shop.
    Which firmware are you running so we can try and work out what's going on. Do you get the blue screen with the R2 NTSC test disc that is supposed to come with the 2800?

I would like to try the 2800 with 2248 firmware along with my Sony 11HT projector, but I'm put off by the chroma upsampling bug and lack of DVD-A or SACD. I have been contamplating ordering a Skyworth and upgrading when the next gen of do-it-all(with no catches) players comes out. ie something like the Pioneer DV-747 but that also does both 480p and 576p deinterlacing as well as the SI503/4 or Sage FLI2200 chips.

8. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The supplier told me it came with firmwares 5248 + 2248, so obviously they were mistaken. It must only be 2248.

As i said I get a blue screen (which appears when there is no input detected) from my projector if I switch the video-out on the Denon to interlaced. Switching back to progressive makes everything dandy again.

Damian.

9. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    i've been using the 2248 firmware for over a week,and i have not seen the chroma bug,even with bug's life.
    there is one problem,i see more artifacts than with my old tosh 3109. e.g r2 enemy at the gates(dark scenes), has anyone had this problem.

dvd

10. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dvd, I'm glad to hear that you don't think the chroma bug is too bad. I'd heard that they have improved it as best they could in the newer firmware revs. But, what size screen are you viewing on? Your comment on the artifacts worries me though. I also noticed artifacting from the 2800 during a demo of the Sony 11HT projector(which I now own). Some of the artifacting was worse when the deinterlacing was being done by the 2800 than when it was being done by the 11HT. However, this was on R2 only firmware, and probably quite an old rev. That's why I want to test it again.

Damian, I'd check what firmware you are using yourself. Instructions below are translated from German, so they are a bit odd.

The firmware design of a DVD-2800 can be determined as follows:
    Ø Player switch off (at the device)
    Ø (Play) + (open/close) at the device press and hold
    Ø Player switch. thereby (Play) + (open/close) further approx. 3 seconds on hold
    Ø after it on the remote maintenance 2x the menu key press

You'll have to work it out for yourself because I haven't done it.

11. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i have a 2800 and firmware 2248 (i think)
    it does prog pal region free etc !!
    when playing certain films back via my plv30 i noticed (tomb raider opening scene) the artifacts in dark scenes its like the picture is shimmering

does anyone know what this is?can it be rectified by newer firmware??

i havent really tried it with my tv yet so i dont know if its there all the time on all sources..

jason :(

12. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    wsquared,i'm using a 32" tosh(32zd98).

dvd

13. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, I may see some chroma problems on my 45"x80" screen that might not be apparent on a 32". Anybody else have any input on this?