1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON 2800 or ISCAN PRO

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevin Harris, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to get the best DVD picture I can on my Projector so been digging around on the net and well still not sure what route to take.

Question is my VPL-HS1 projector will take PAL Progressive scan and not sure if I should keep my Pioneer 606D with component outputs and buy an ISCAN Pro to give me better picture quality or get the Denon 2800 with the rom file to enable PAL progressive.

The price for either is much the same.

What’s your opinion guys.

Cheers

Kev.
    :confused:

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Kev -

I have a 2800 that I use with my projector (Sim2 HT200DM) & it gives an excellent result with prog scan, in PAL or NTSC. For that matter, the picture on the TV using the 2800 is also massively better than anything I've seen in the past including my old Pioneer 636, and the 2800 is my fourth DVD player now.

I believe that the 2800 will easily outclass the Pioneer just on interlaced output alone.

However, I have seen the iScan Pro demonstrated and I think that the picture quality from this surpasses the prog scan output of the 2800. Whether it, added to the Pioneer, will outclass the 2800 is a difficult one because the Pioneer's source picture won't be as good as the Denons in the first place. And you can't polish a turd, as the old saying goes.

Why not buy the 2800 to use in interlaced mode & also buy a second hand iScan - there were one or two for sale on this site!

Thinking about it, I'm selling my 2800 pretty soon after Christmas so you could get both units for a song if you wanted! Mine already has the update done.

Regards - Paul

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much are you considering selling the 2800 for?

4. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  5. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. Might be interested in your 2800.

Give me a shout when you are ready to move it on.

Kev.

6. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Paul,
    This has been an interesting thread. Can I ask, why are you selling the dennon 2800? Are you getting a better player? I have the sony 735 and will be getting a projector next year. I will be in the same position as Kev looking to have the best posible picture possible? what do you think?
    marc.

7. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Kevin - I'll e-mail you in the New Year

Mark - the reason I want to change the DVD player is because I want the Meridian 596 which has recently had several stunning reviews, and which also will go well with my Meridian 568 processor & other Meridian kit. However, the Meridian player only has interlaced outputs so I've been through the same thoughts as the person above who started this thread.

Also, I have a Sim2 HT200DM, about 3-4 months old; the built in interlacer is strictly average on this projector, so that's why I bought the 2800, to bypass it using prog scan.

Now the new Sim HT300 is out, with an excellent (suppposedly) built in Faroudja scaler/processor. I therefore won't & don't need a prog scan player if I get this as the onboard circuitry should be better than almost all external processors, within reason.

So, I am flogging my DVD player AND projector in the New Year to raise cash for what I hope will be a last and massive upgrade. Well, I say 'last' now but never say never!

Paul