Denon 2800 MkII questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sykes, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want to upgrade my DVD player, a Tosh 510 NTSC prog scan able, to a PAL prog scan player and would also like a better CD player.

I have another post as had been considering the Denon 3800 or the (Philips 963 plus new CD player)l. I am also now seriously thinking about the Arcam 88+.

However, i have just noticed that one of the site sponsors is selling the Denon 2800 MkII multiregion for £519.99 but having had a quick browse through the forum it seems riddled with problems and I am still unsure whether it is PAL prog capable. So questions:
    1. Is it a 'problem' machine still or was that just early models?
    2. Is it PAL prog capable and if so how and how good?
    3. Is it a bargan at £520 or is it a stay clear get the Philips/arcam/3800/other?

Cheers

Sykes

2. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a 2800MKII in December with the latest PAL Progressive firmware. When I connected it to my Panasonic 42" Plasma I noticed terrible lip sync problems and bad chroma bug. I asked my dealer to upgrade it to the 3800 but he had none in stock (He's only just had them now apparently). I then tried the Arcam DV88 plus and.......WOW!!!
    Its a much better player all round, no lip sync issues chroma performance much improved, awesome picture and sound.
    Having now seen the 3800 has the same lip sync problems (although it has cured the chroma issue with latest firmware), and having read about similar lip sync problems on the Philips, I am more than delighted with the Arcam. CD performance is the best I've heard on a DVD deck.
    It cost me £900 from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury but given how happy I am with it I would consider it money very well spent!:D

3. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a dec 2800mkII and a dec panny 42" - presumably all therefore the latest firmware

I have no chroma bug problem, and lip sync problems occur on some disks only and then slight - this problem is not just a function of the denon - the panny seems to be probably a bigger culprit ( it occurs with just about any source material)- see various threads on this issue

for that price you'll struggle to get a better player

trust this helps

4. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its pointing out the obvious but the DV88 is twice the price of the 2800 mk II, so not really a fair comparison.

5. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think its just the Panny Plasma. From what I've seen and read it applies to most digital displays and is made worse by progressive scan. Don't ask me the exact technical thingys but I think it takes time to convert the image from the player to the screen and apply the prog scan processing. The Arcam seems to have an amount of delay built into it via the component connections to account for this processing delay. The Denon did not and as a result most discs were out of sync, some (eg Minority Report) were unwatchable. I also think some people are more succeptible do lip sync than others.
    Don't get me wrong £900 is a lot of money for a DVD player in this day and age and is nearly twice as much as the Denon, but in my humble opinion the Arcam is much more than twice the player!
    If you use a high end display like a plasma you should consider giving it the best source player you can.
    Despite the big hole in my bank balance the constant grin I've had on my face since first pressing play makes it all worthwhile!:devil:

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

Assuming you have seen Pal-Progressive and thought the difference worth upgrading Toshiba for your display.
    Firstly, you may like to read
    www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
    Try www.richersounds.com Limit DVD-9900SE, has Multi-Region, Pal-Progressive and DVD-A @ £149.00. This player utilises Zoran Vaddis 5 as also found in Arcam DiVA 88+.
    Try www.robertsonsonline.co.uk Philips DVD-963SA, has MR/PP (easy hack ) and SACD @ £308.00.
    Try www.discounttv.co.uk Denon DVD-3800, MR/PP and DVD-A @ hot price.
    Most Arcam dealers will allow you 10% discount, so buy locally or www.creative-audio.co.uk on-line.

The Denon 2800Mk2 / 3800 both utilise Sil-504, Philips DVD-963SA has Faroudja FLI2300 DCDi, all as can be found in very expensive products. Arcam uses Silicon Image technology within FMJ-DV27 @ £1600. It makes a visible difference.
    The 2800Mk2 has the benefit of a buffer to render layer changes almost invisible, in addition 3800 has an updated ESS design to reduce Chroma Upsampling Error "bug", enhanced CD replay and DVD-Audio. The 3800 is free of the artifacting problem which so plagued original 2800Mk1 with low MPEG compression discs i.e. Seven R2 SE and Mulholland Drive, the 2800Mk2 still suffers this problem on some machines. Both Denons will definitely provide excellent 625p Pal-Progressive when modified.
    Philips DVD-963SA has excellent Pal-Progressive, superb CD replay ( with or without 192khz upsampling ), minor niggles are a noticeable layer change as with both Arcams, a remote control you have to point directly at the machine probably because the sensor is too concealed and it's slower than 3800 at navigating DVD menus, accessing chapters and so on. No worse than Arcams in this regard.
    Both 3800 and 963 offer Bass Management to help with Hi-Resolution Multi-Channel Replay, SACD on the 963 is improved over my previous Sony player, DVD-A on 3800 is really spellbinding.
    You will find it difficult to obtain good demonstrations of the Philips/Limit/Denon because demand is high, availability low. Maybe you could buy, try at home and have a refund if not pleased. Excellent demonstrations of the Arcam should be possible at most of their dealers, but ring first especially if you wish to see with a projector.
    You should also consider that Arcam offer unequalled customer support, through their dealers and themselves.

7. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    does anyone know if the denon 2800mrII from hi-fi bitz has the latest firmware-PAL prog etc......very intrested:hiya:

8. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you really want that player (I bought the arcam dv88+) then you could try audio solutions (see top on thread?) as they mod it and its cheap.

CaM

9. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Received the following when I emailed hifibitz re above:

Thanks for contacting HiFiBitZ.

Yes the DVD2800 Mk II does output PAL progressive scan.

Regards

Peter

10. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all!
    Think I'm going to take a chance on this player. Anyone know where I can download the manual? I've tried denon.co.uk but they don't have it.

Cheers,
    John

11. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    Thanks for the tip off! You would think the U.K. Denon site would have it though :blush:

Cheers,
    John