1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2800 MkII Chroma bug fix?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by niklaskarlsson, Apr 4, 2002.

1. niklaskarlsson

niklaskarlsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Does anybody have any info from Denon Europe/England or whatever if the chroma bug phenomenon has been eliminated on the 2800 MkII.

I know that the MkII will use the SiL504 chip but havent read anything concerning the CB problem.

2. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The big question is when do find out about it in sweden.
    The deals here just don't seem to know about this model yet.

Shame because they are quite helpfull.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dealer I use here in the UK rang Denon UK on my behalf and they didn't know about, so don't be too down hearted

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    If it is any guide, the latest word from a Denon USA rep on the A1 is that it will still have a mild case of the bug when it first ships.

No promises that it will be corrected later in some manner, but the engineers are still working on it apparently.

Mark

5. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well the reports i have seen about the 3800 say definatley no chroma bug yippeeeeeeee

jason

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Umm.. I wouldn't be too sure about the 3800 as it uses the same ESS chipset as the A1/9000.

Here is the full official statement from Denon USA regarding the 9000 and the 3800.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    “As hard as DENON and ESS engineers have tried, these units will ship with a mild case of ‘Chroma Up-sampling Error’ or the ‘Bug’. At this time we do not want to imply, promise, or guarantee, that an upgrade (whether hardware and/or firmware) will ever be available. However this is not to say that our engineers have given up on correcting the ‘Bug’. They haven’t, and all of us at DENON hope that they will find a fix. We believe these players to provide picture and audio performance second to none, and we are confident that many of you will find them to be superior to anything else on the market.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The 3800 *was* I believed being said to be free from the bug until recently when the statement changed.

7. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are considering Denon players for PAL progressive, beware.

Even the old DVD-2800 (MK I) could be made PAL progressive, but the performance was useless: jerky images, dropped frames, loss of audio and even freezing on some discs.

Even $200 chinese players performed better than this baby and it could not be cured with firmware updates.

Guess what Denon Europe said when customers complained to them?

"Pal progressive? What pal progressive? Sorry mate, you're on your own."

So, before you buy any of the brand new spanking Denon players (even if somebody reports a working PAL prog hack for them), make sure you say your prayers :)

cheers,
    Halcyon

PS I just bought Philips 962SA with PAL prog and Regrion free and SACD multichannel to boot. Very good video performance, good audio performance (much better than Pioneer DV-747A based on all the reviews I've read). A longer report when I've finished testing....

8. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    :( :( :(

9. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    we await your report with great interest;)

j

10. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not correct!

I had one of the first DVD-2800 and it had lots of issues but I traded it in for a july-2001 model which I hacked for 576p and multi-region and it's great in both progressive and interlaced PAL. There are no dropped frames and no MPEG-artifacts. The only fault it has is the chroma bug. lip-sync errors occur because the video-mode is set to the wrong setting.

About the chroma bug on the new DVD-players from Denon. maybe Denon is the only manufacturer who admit that they can't completely get rid of the chroma bug, and other manufacturers lie. Just a thought!

Tor Arne

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I think that too much can be made of the bug at times.

As far as I know, the majority of the players that are bug free use the Panasonic chipset most others with one or two exceptions will have the bug to some degree.

Denon are being very clear about this because for a while they expected these new players to be bug free, but now it is clear that they will still have the bug they must make it clear to people that were expecting them to be bug free that they are not.

I'll still audition the A1 when it is released but the presence of the bug is going to make it hard to choose to pay so more than the cost of the Arcam DV27, especially if the hack or firmware update for progressive PAL isn't available right from the launch date.

Mark