Denon 2800 Mk2 (yes I have searched before posting!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Apnomis, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I bought a Denon 2800 Mk2 today, and yes I know you lot don't like it, but it was £369 which I thought was a good price to warrant "risking it". And I'm sure you would agree that even with it's alleged problems I wasn't going to get a better player for the 350-ish quid I was willing to pay for one, baring in mind I want to play audio CD's on it too.

Anyway, looking through the reams of threads on the subject of it's errors ranging from moderately informative posts to people just saying "Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap" I've still not got the definitive answer I am looking for.

So with the shop fitted firmware update (without PAL progressive) Saving Private Ryan and Shrek among others does suffer from picture break up at the bottom of the screen when chapters are changed. I've tried this on a none multi-region 2800 and it works fine. So whatever firmware they installed to make it multi-region is at fault.

So is there any other multi-region firmware that doesn't have this problem? Specifically I've found the "European Denon 2800Mk2 region free firmware with Progressive PAL scan" (it goes by the file name of DH28NVMK.CES) will updating to this fix the screen break up problem?

If I update to the PAL progressive firmware will all PAL DVD's have lip sync problems, or is that only if "Progressive" is turned on in the options? I won't be using Progressive for NTSC or PAL so turning it off will not be a problem.

I've heard a lot of people criticise the Denon, but is there anybody out there that likes it or have fixed the break up problem? Is there anymore problems I should watch out for?

In the next couple of weeks I'm planning to get a Pioneer VSX-2011 receiver (or possibly the 1011), so I did consider getting a Pioneer 656 DVD player to match it, I can pick one of those up for £300, but surely the quality wont be a patch on the Denon 2800?

Perhaps I should point out that I am upgrading from a Techtronics modded Sony S725 player which has served me well for many years. But I feel with my speaker/receiver upgrade the time has come to update my DVD player too.

I've spoken to the dealer and he is happy to take back the Denon 2800 if I'm not happy. Any advice on what I should do would be helpful, but please don't post to "send it back" just because you have a grudge against Denon as a brand. I would like impartial advice on whether the Denon is a good £370 DVD player, if the screen break-up is fixable with a firmware update and finally if there is a better DVD player available at the £350 mark (that would offer improvement over my 725)

Thanks in advance for your help, I'll look forward to hearing from you all soon!

P.S. Do firmware multi-region updates allow for RCE titles to be played, or does that have to be a hardware mod?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only firmware for the DVD2800MKII I know of that actually worked without botching the picture was the one that sevenoaks had. They told me it was the "latest official disc from Denon themselves" and it sure worked.

I think you're point about how the Firmware botched the picture proved my previously made point that people should absolutely just leave the player alone! People after PAL Progressive are probably better off with a Philips 963SA - no problems whatsoever.

3. Ademdb

Ademdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ive got a 2800II and have never had a problem with it - must be the only one :) I have upgraded my firmware but I can remember the version, if I get a mo Ill post. I can send you the firmware files as well if you like.

Regards

Adrian

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Ademdb but that won't be necessary, I uploaded the firmware I found and it worked a treat! No lipsync problems, no skipping problems, no picture breakup, no problems whatsoever!:clap:

I was hoping that people on this forum were blowing the 2800's problems out of proportion, and looks like I was right. Five minutes to upgrade the firmware and all the problems are solved :D

Looks like now there are two people that have a problem free Denon's on this forum ;)

Oh and picture and sound quality are excellent, big improvement over my old 725...

5. hifi-gary

hifi-gary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me version of the firmware you upgraded to and
    where you got it from.

I have only just bought my 2800 MkKII and watched my first DVD on it last night (silence of the lambs) and noticed breaking up
    of the picture in the bottom 1/3 of the screen.

Gary

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An email I received from Denon after asking them about the very problem with the DVD2800MKII's PAL Progressive Issues...

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding Denon products.

The DVD-2800II has had great reviews in the Hi-Fi press
    so we were disappointed to hear that you were having problems, firstly
    Denon UK does not support or get involved with Multi-region Issues we
    can only sell and support Region 2 units. The Denon DVD-2900 has just
    realised as a the first Japanese built Region 2 unit which will output
    PAL Pure Progressive picture. We are hoping that there will be an
    upgrade available for the DVD-2800II which will give a PAL Pure
    Progressive Signal out, it is to early to say when this will come into
    effect but Denon Japan are working on this. "

So there you have it.

I have emailed them back asking why they've released it with a certain spec if the spec isn't accessible (i.e. them not supporting multi-region firmware for an NTSC progressive player).

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Could I ask is the firmware version your both using the multi region and pal prog version or just the multi region??

As I have a 2800MKII and it was upgraded by Sevenoaks to multi region and pal prog but I get the lip-sync, pic break up, and some other nasty problems now and again.

Also what ever type of firmware your using multi region or pal prog, could you let me know what the software version is and where I can get hold of it?

It would be a big help as I really am desperate to be able to sit down and enjoy a film without worrying about a problem popping up mid film.

Thanks

Scotty

8. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My firmware is multiregion and to the best of my knowledge is Pal pro-scan (although I don't use it).

It is called Denon 2800 MkII European Firmware filename DH28NVMK.CES

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops - edited (posted response in wrong thread through too much ethanol consumption - moved to correct thread morning after

10. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    just got 2800 mk2 - through scart pictures are perfect (all regions), fitted some top notch component video leads for progressive scan on my panasonic pw5 -37' - all ntsc stuff plays fine but no picture on region 2 discs - where can i get these updates from? to load pal prog scan too???

thanks in advance:confused:

11. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still no one out there wanting to share with me how I'd go about finding the firmware version my 2800MKII is running??

12. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't see anywhere in your last post where you asked for this information. Your post just asks for the details of what firmware other people are using.......

Anyway, you've asked now, so I believe this is how to do it (taken from one of the sources of the problem firmware update):

I've still not seen anyone posting where this perfect firmware version is available from.

Pretty please.....

Anyone.......?

13. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Richard, sorry your right I hadn't actually asked for the info in this thread, I got mixed up as I've asked for this info in a number of other threads with no reply?

Anyway thanks again.

And I second your call for where we can get hold of some fully working firmware, with pal prog more important than multi region..

14. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any chance you could use the method stated above by Richard to get the actual ESS and DRV versions of your firmware as that would be very helpfull, also the last 4 digits of your serial number??

I've found my details now:
    DRV - 3-16-0
    ESS - 9104-3
    Serial - 1967 Gold

And I'm still getting some lip sync and picture break up problems now and again?

Anyone know of a better firmware version than I've currently got??

Cheers :p