1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2800 II to Barco-alike - bear with me!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clived, Jul 26, 2003.

1. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Guys,

Forgive my ignorance here, but this is my first run in with a CRT projector - other than that, I generally know what I'm doing!

Situation: Neighbour has a Denon 2800II DVD player and a CRT projector which looks to me like a Barco, he paid £6K for it and I've not stood on a chair yet to take a look at the markings...

Whoever set the whole system up only did a so-so job. I'm fine with helping to set up the audio side (he has a slightly lower spec Denon amp than me, so it's all familiar). What I'm not sure of is if he's getting the most out of the projector. Is running interlaced component signal from DVD to projector the best he can get? I've read (just now, internet search) that 5 cable RGB is better, but I don't know if the 2800 supports this. Also, am I right in assuming that CRT projectors do not support Prog Scan?!

Finally the installers told him he shouldn't run two inputs to the projector at once (i.e. component and say composite) but this sounds like rubbish to me - you can switch between inputs, so why can't you connect more than one - bad info right?

Many thanks in advance,

Clive

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your friend needs to look into scalers - do a search.
    AFAIK line doublers de-interlace, and line triplers/quadruplers scale aswell.

I believe most barcos do prog scan - my data 800 seems to handle any cr*p I send to it. This evening I've been watching ntsc laserdisc on PAL60 direct to the composite ins. Suprisingly good picture but oooh those scanlines:( - I usually use my pc for dvd and sky via video in card/dscaler

If he's got a pc with dvd drive suggest he trys that before spending on a stand alone scaler.

Hth a bit - I'm sure Roland or Gordon will have a lot more solid info than me though..

Cheers

Rob

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rob, thanks for the input.

For the moment we just need to establish if the projector can (is likely to be able to) handle prog scan - once we've worked that out (and got it working!) we'll go from there.

I forgot to say, currently, if you switch the DVD player into prog scan mode, the projector still displays an image, but it's wrapped half way round the screen and goes a bit green....!

Cheers, Clive

4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clive,

My pj is nearly 10 years old and worth about £600. It can handle progressive scan an res' up to 1024x768@ 75Hz.

I would say a £6000 projector should handle just about anything you could chuck at it. However you'd need a scaler to get the best from an interlaced source.

Look here for pics of barcos : http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/

And here :http://www.b4projection.co.uk/products/usedlist.htm

Mine is easy to identify as it has Barco Data 800 in huge letters across it :D

btw - your friend has just paid £6000 for a projector and doesn't know what it is:eek:

wrt the prog scan stuff - my one needs a horizontal and vertical sync (negative polarity) to work. Maybe the dvd players not sending the required info ?

Cheers

Rob

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Not all CRT projectors accept progressive signals. You need to get us the model number.

The signal is green as component output is not the same as RGB and the Y part of YPrPb is carried along the pins you'd use for G IN RGB. Y is the luminance part with lots of detail in it so when fed to an RGB input you get Green detailed image. Wrap around etc probably due to improper set up of the PJ.

Let us know what it is and we can give some better advice

Gordon

6. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Guys, thanks. Neighbour is away for a few days now, but when he gets back I'll post some more details.

Summary so far seems to be "maybe" and "we might not have enough "bits" connected" and "even a £6K projector might not do PS", right?

Cheers, Clive

7. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clive - I got component and RGB mixed up:blush: Sorry!

Gordon knows a lot more than most about this stuff so I'll gracefully bow out now.

Cheers,

Rob

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Most barco projectors will stuggle with progressive scan Component as it is a faily recent invention and beyond the bandwidth of the circuits. Also a lot of the macro vision circuuits will confuse the hell out of the input My preference would be to transcode it via say a £250 key digital box and send it into the RGB port.

BTW you can use and connect as many of the inputs as you like.

9. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    FINALLY (i.e. over a month later!) the manual has turned up so I can provide a little more information...

Looks like I may have been a little wrong about the type of projector, but your input is still welcome. It is actually an Ellie XS3000HT.

I'm still convinced that the picture quality isn't as good as it should be - and I suspect that "The Event" will reinforce this.

So, questions:

1) Should this PJ accept prog scan input (I currently think probably not)

2) Given all the processing inside the box, is there any advantage it taking the component signal that is currently being used and converting this to VGA - and then feeding the VGA into the PJ?

Many thanks, Clive

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Ellies come in two flavours - the entry level XS2000 and the higher performance XS3000 - the one with Ellie's own line tripler built in. You can get more info from the Ellie web site or speak to Jim at Screens UK which is the UK distributor.

A Progressive Scan signal is line doubled. This will show more line structure than a Line Tripled signal, so feeding the Denon in may make the picture look worse :eek: There's also a good chance that the projector will need reconverging before it will display a line doubled signal properly.

My experience with Ellie projectors only extends to the XS2000 which is their line doubled unit. I tried a Quadscan and an Iscan Pro which would normally gives a useful improvement in definition with other brands of CRT projectors. Curiously I didn't see any improvement over S-video through the internal line doubler :confused: Perhaps the XS3000 processes its RGB signals differently, perhaps Jim might be able to shed some light on this and the advice not to feed in two live signals?

Regards

11. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I fed into my ellie 3000 a lumigen scaler, which is connected on the pc mode of the projector,

I would give jim a ring he knows all there is to about these projectors and his assistant lynda lovelace aint to bad either!