1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2800 ----> 3800

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevin Harris, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like any opinions on a possible upgrade from a 2800 Mk1 to a 3800.

I seem to be one of the lucky ones and have very few issues with my Denon 2800 and was wondering if there would be enough of an improvment in getting a 3800, now let me say I am not interested in DVD-Audio etc and just looking for the best picture and sound to go with my HS10 Projector and AX10i AMP

My 2800 is MR and Pal-P so my main question would be is the PAL-P on the 3800 with the updated silicon Image 504 chip that much better would I see a difference in PQ and also Sound quality to warrant the upgrade.

Or is there a better DVD player sub £1000 that I should look at.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    IMO the 3800 is the best sub £1k player, you can get it sub £800!!

Did you mean to say that your 2800 is PAL progressive scan? If so you must have had it upgraded very recently. In which case if the 2800 is working fine you'd be hard pressed to justify the extra outlay on the 3800. Unless you're like me of course and can't resist the best.

The 3800's performance with PAL PS is awesome.

3. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi,

I went from a 2800 mk1 to a 3800, and there is a reasonable difference in the picture, but it would probably depend on your display, on a 32" CRT you are hard pushed to see a great deal but on a projector I would have thought it would start to be significant. The biggest difference is in the CD replay the 3800 is really very good (IMHO)

Best bet try and borrow one and try it...

Cheers

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    or maybe wait for the 3800 mkII :D :D :D

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    philipb, Kevin has got an original Denon 2800... these have been Pal progressive for over 18 months... but not without problems.

most of the current Denon 3800 (and some Arcam, Tosh) owners originally had the 2800 since it did pal ps very early on.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Then they must have been illegal, because PAL PS was only ratified last November. The Arcam DV88+ was the first PAL PS enabled player hotly followed by the 3800.

How was the 2800 outputting PAL PS for the last 18 months?

7. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It may not have been strictly legal but they all were, and very well too.....

8. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for you reply's

My 2800 is PAL-P and has been for the last 12 months I am very happy with the performance of this player but the upgrade bug has bit and the oldest part of my setup is the DVD Player.

I am projecting onto a 133" screen so I think if a diference was to be noticeable I might see it on that :)

Just dont know if the price I might be able to sell my player for and make up the difference would be worth it.

The other hold up might be that the Pioneer AX10i Amp has an iLink connetion and I hope that other manufactures support this format so If 3800 MKII was to come out with an iLink then it would be a no brainer.

I can live in hope I guess.

But as I said the upgrade bug has a good hold on me.

Thanks again

Kevin

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    its splitting hairs, but pal progressive scan, 576p or 625p depending on what you call it was never "illegal" .. its a standard video format and has been for years.

it was however illegal or against the dvd manufacturer's group if a DVD player output it straight out of the box though - it would fail the validation tests each player has to pass.

it was fairly easy to get around it though :-

a manufacturer could either post firmware "anonymously" on the internet (denon, hk, others);
    have it available by an obscure remote hack (philips);
    or simply not have the player validated at all- most chinese manufacturers at that time (skyworth etc).

technically, if you read the hcc post about pal ps being passed, its still not clear.

yes its no longer illegal for a player to output pal ps, but its still not 100% legal.. (if you see the distinction) - they're just really turning a blind eye at the moment.

Kevin... when you say a 133" screen, are you talking diagonal or width? 11ft is huuuuuge!

I think you would now see a difference with a better progscan player than the original 2800 (which I had also), better picture quality argueably, plus no chroma bug.

I had a lot of problems (eventually) with picture artifacts once I really looked for them, and tested specific disks.. plus strange glitches at times... picture speed-ups and lockups occasionally.

the original 2800 was prone to lipsync problems with R2 discs also, though this may never have bothered you I guess.

think you could only upgrade to the pioneer amp with the i-link using the pioneer 757 currently, the Denon digital link as in the a-1 would only be with a Denon a1sr amp currently... - both different connections and a little proprietary?
    as to which way this will go across the industry (firewire?).. who knows?

as to what it would cost you to upgrade now.. not cheap.
    I've seen an odd denon 2800 mkIs for less than £400 now,
    worth checking with your dealer though to see what they'd offer.

10. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

My painted wall allows me to vary my screen up 133" diagonal which is the largest I can get and mostly use as the HS10 is still impressing me with whatever I throw at it.

I think I will try and sell my 2800 player and see what I can get, If I got 400ish then I think the 3800 would be a good move. I will also try and see what a dealer can do.

I have had the odd lockup but that is very rare and never bothered me that much.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kevin.

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah!.. measured by the diagonal, so really a 9.5ft screen or thereabouts really in projector terms. I did wonder!

£400-ish for a 2800 was the price I'd seen a dealer selling one at, but your trade-in maybe less, private sale would be less too.

if you're not prepared to pay that difference of £300-400 to get to a 3800, it might be worth looking at a Philips 963 (~£320) instead.. should be comparable in picture quality. also means you would get SACD rather than DVD-A if you were so inclined.

you could then cover the cost by selling the denon 2800.