Denon 2700H - Lip Sync

St3pm

Novice Member
Hi, recently upgraded my really old 5.1 system to a Denon AVR-X2700H.
First time I've set up a new AVR and have followed the setup and used Audyssey to calibrate.

Never had issues with lip sync previously but since setting the new receiver up the video is slightly before the audio. The audio delay only makes the issue worse.

I have sky Q and Nvidia Shield Pro into the AVR with this returning to the TV. All by HDMI.

The lip sync gets worse if there is more processing (ie. Dolby + Dolby surround or Dolby Atmos). Lip sync disappears if I use direct sound or occasionally the standard Dolby 5.1. this clearly doesn't sound as good.

I've tried everything I can (turned off arc everywhere, tried delays, recalibrated) but can't seem to resolve.

Has anyone got any ideas or has experienced this? Anything to help resolve would be really b appreciated. At my wit's end.

Thanks.

gibbsy

Have you got any motion software involved on your TV. If so turn it off. On the SkyQ box you can try altering the sync on that.

St3pm

Novice Member
No, all motion / enhancements off via TV. Tried the lip sync on the sky q and makes the issue worse, due to the video being in front of the audio. I'm assuming the audio processing is somehow causing a delay to the audio being returned...

Same issue the Shield which is why I'm wandering whether there's something else at play? I've seen lots of comments re sky q but this is affecting both sources.

CaptainJames

No, all motion / enhancements off via TV. Tried the lip sync on the sky q and makes the issue worse, due to the video being in front of the audio. I'm assuming the audio processing is somehow causing a delay to the audio being returned...

Same issue the Shield which is why I'm wandering whether there's something else at play? I've seen lots of comments re sky q but this is affecting both sources.

What do you mean by "The audio returned"? I thought you said you had ARC off? If your sources are going straight into the AVR, then it will strip out the audio before forwarding the video signal to the TV. It is usual for the audio to be ahead of the video with lip sync issues as the video signal takes longer to process.

St3pm

Novice Member
Apologies, my language not clear. Yes. I have ARC off and all devices connected to HDMI.

Even though that is the case audio is definitely behind. Tried to alter lip sync on sky, audio delay on AVR and Shield but all make sync worse.

The audio & video appears ok on pure Dolby digital but if Dolby surround or Atmos sources used then the video is ahead of the audio.
Hopefully that makes sense. Fairly new to it all.

gibbsy

It is usual for the audio to be ahead of the video with lip sync issues as the video signal takes longer to process.
I think it's been noted with Shield that the video is ahead of the audio and I've noticed it with Prime at times from my TV's app, SkyQ and Netfllix is usually spot on. No good adjusting the lip sync in this situation. I usually turn the TV off for a few seconds, this usually fixes it. I don't think it's anything to do with the link between the TV and the Denon which, for me, is optical. More likely the wifi connection to the hub. I wonder if a hard wired connection would be a fix.

St3pm

Novice Member
Thanks all. Not sure what's causing it. Tried above but still a lip sync issue (negative sync). At a bit of a loss...

CableReady

Thanks all. Not sure what's causing it. Tried above but still a lip sync issue (negative sync). At a bit of a loss...
Did you ever figure this out? I also notice a (very) slight audio delay, but on my AVR-1600x, using Nvidia Shield pro (Plex mostly). As in your case, the small delay disappears if I set the audio mode on the receiver to pure or pure direct. But when I set it to auto—which sounds much better—the slightest delay occurs. Does this mean that the delay is somehow introduced in the AVR’s audio processing? (Auto lip sync is also disabled. Turning it on doesn’t help, since it only allows you to delay audio, not to delay video.)

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom