Denon 2313 sound modes

Bigcarpchaser

Standard Member
Morning all, question from an av thicky if you don't mind?
Set my receive up, all good so far, upgrade from a 1910 so dead easy to install.
Main issue, sky HD, hdmi and optical set up, fine so far.
Some HD channels show "Dolby D" when tuned in, some show "Iix..."
When I hold in the "movie" button I get a list of available sound formats o choose one....how do you go "back" to standard dolby D or is this a daft question?
Was watching the golf earlier and was nicely immersed in crowd clapping, in he hole etc but then I made the fatal error of pressing buttons now it sounds too boomy on any of the available sound options....ie, I don't particularly want "movie" sounds when watching question time!!!
Thanks for your patience :smashin:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The receiver will automatically play Dolby Digital as a default option when it gets a flag from the source material. Not all HD channels are broadcast with DD, pace yesterday watching the football on ITV HD. That is why you are getting PLIIx as an option for some channels which are broadcast in stereo.

Its not a fatal error switching the sound modes. You can just switch back to what you fancy using the movie button. You only have a choice of Movie, Music, Game or the direct option which leaves the material unaltered. The receiver will remember what you chose last time for that source and type of material.

You can also play around with the surround parameters if you want e.g. switch of Cinema EQ etc...

Bigcarpchaser

Standard Member
So by default the unit is in "movie"? It's just a matter of how many different sound formats are available to choose from?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
So by default the unit is in "movie"? It's just a matter of how many different sound formats are available to choose from?

Depends on the input. The most suitable sound mode is automatically selected. So if you are using the Bluray input, for example, it will default to movie mode and give you sound options based on your speaker setup and material.

Ultimately you can choose any of the HDMIs to connect whatever device you want. Nothing stopping you connecting a DVD player to the Media Player input and then choosing the appropriate sound mode yourself.

Bigcarpchaser

Standard Member
thankyou :smashin:

as I also understand, the last sound mode is "remembered". this appears to be channel specific.
ie, I can go to sky atlantic and the display will say "dolby d" but them when I return to sky sports it will say PLIIx which would be the last sound choice I'd made?

on my old 1910, I could turn off the "effects" on the remote but this one I can't, I have to go into the sound parameters menu?

I would try but at work now dammit :)

sorry for the questions, thought i'd got to grips with all this stuff previously then they go and change everything.

fyi I have all the relevant devices going to the default inputs, don't appear to be suffering any screen lockups, all sounds ok through my mix and match jamo/bose speaker setup but will look to upgrade that to something with a bit more ooommpph musically as and when.

my only gripe is that my tv, a Panasonic gt50 doesn't automatically pick up the av signal from the hdmi when it's plugged into the suggested hdmi2 input (the "arc" one). there's a setting where you can assign the telly to turn on automatically to either "tv" or "hdmi1" but not to "hdmi2" which seems an oversight, however, I'm probably doing something wrong.

anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll get there in the end

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you engage Dolby Pro LOgic II for the SKY source then it is only engaged when not receiving discrete 5.1 audio and Pro Logic is automatically overridden by discrete multichannel formats. You can leave Pro LOgic II engaged all of the time so that it creates pseudo surround when no discrete surround format is present and overriden when discrete audio such as Dolby Digital 5.1 is detected.

Bigcarpchaser

Standard Member
Hhmmmmm it doesn't appear that mine is reverting back to the default sound broadcast.
I can leave the avr in dpl2, change to bbc standard and it will stay in dpl2, change to sky movies and its still in dpl2.
The list of available formats doesn't change whatever channel I'm on. I can change to "music" and still the same options are available but with "music" levels
I have my sky box sound off optical and the inputs are set correctly, I'm either missing something or the unit is behaving oddly. It just doesn't appear to be correct to me and denon don't get what I'm saying either
I'm going to reset to factory tomorrow and try again, my old 1910 used to work ok and I even got the magic blue light!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hhmmmmm it doesn't appear that mine is reverting back to the default sound broadcast.
I can leave the avr in dpl2, change to bbc standard and it will stay in dpl2, change to sky movies and its still in dpl2.
The list of available formats doesn't change whatever channel I'm on. I can change to "music" and still the same options are available but with "music" levels
I have my sky box sound off optical and the inputs are set correctly, I'm either missing something or the unit is behaving oddly. It just doesn't appear to be correct to me and denon don't get what I'm saying either
I'm going to reset to factory tomorrow and try again, my old 1910 used to work ok and I even got the magic blue light!!

Simply changing the channel isn't a guarantee of the channel in question broadcasting audio as 5.1 Dolby Digital. The HD channels and the Movie channels also broadcast content in stereo and when they do then Pro Logic would be activated. Pro Logic is only automatically overriden by Dolby Digital if it it is 5.1.

Use Pro Logic and it is automatically overridden whenever the receiver detects discrete multichannel audio such as Dolby Digital 5.1, but Pro Logic is still applicable to Dolby Digital stereo or audio with fewer than 5.1 discrete channels in the case of PLII or fewer than 7.1 in the case of PLIIx.

Basically, leave the receiver set on PLII or PLIIx in relation to you SKY source and the receiver will / should automatically switch from Pro Logic to discrete Dolby Digital depending upon the number of discrete channels of audio present. There's never any need to manually switch from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Make sure you are actually getting the audio via the optical connection and not via HDMI. Ensure that you've turned Dolby Digital on from within the SKY box settings and make sure the content you are using to test the audio with is actually encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 and not simply Dolby Digital 2 channel stereo.

Last edited:

Bigcarpchaser

Standard Member
Rights, changed the input/input select from auto to digital and left the decode mode in auto.
Result, seems to be playing ball now.
Don't get all the fancy offerings in "movie" mode on a DD channel but do on a "normal" channel. It changes to PLIIc.
This is good yes? Certainly sounds ok to my untrained and slightly deaf ears.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom