Denon 2300w & Sky Q No Picture Issue

Simon Humble

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello folk's

Hope you're all well

I'm after some assistance if possible.

I have a Denon 2300w that was being used with a sky hd box without issue, as well as an Xbox series x.

Yesterday we upgraded to a sky q box V2, 2tb which is wired to the avr via a sky q supplied hdmi lead to the cable/sat input, but we can't get a picture.

The screen flickers, no sound at all, but interestingly, when i put the sky q in standby, the picture does momentarily come up.

I've tried using the series x hdmi lead, but there is no change.

Upon speaking to Denon they advised the avr only handles hdcp at 2.2 and the sky q needs 2.3 and as such I'd need to upgrade the avr.

I was curious to know if anyone has this avr and sky q box and has experienced similar issues, I'd rather not go spending more money unless absolutely necessary.

I have read that an alternative might be to wire sky directly to the TV, and use optical back to the avr, I've not been able to try this yet due to work commitments, but will give this a go, although I'm not entirely sure what I would be missing out on by going down the optical route, as opposed to hdmi.

Kindest regards

Simon

How did the $ky installer depart without seeing a suitable picture?

Reconnect the Q to the TV and see if you can make ARC work between TV and AVR is one option. But will broadly be the same as connecting optical back.

Not sure the $ky Q box does / streams via apps any HD audio resolutions that hdmi into the AVR would provide that can't be sent over ARC/optical.

But HDCP 2.2 vs 2.3 suggests that hdcp 2.2 is adequate for most consumers stuff currently. 2.3 isn't avaialble widely... what does your TV support (make and model will be needed to allow a 'look see').

Thus for what $ky uses for UHD content.
Setting up Ultra HD | Sky Help | Sky.com only mentions 2.2

hdmi handshake issues are rather too common so maybe try other hdmi cables, and the order that items are powered on?

Also ensure the resolution etc.,. on the $ky Q is set to something the AVR can pass through and the TV can display?

Denon misunderstood or wanted to upsell you, it appears to me?

I had a Denon X2200 and Sky Q definitely worked fine with it so agree it isn't going to be the AVR that cannot show the picture.

Is your TV an LG Oled as there are problems with the V2 Sky Q box? My parents had the same thing but plugged directly into the TV. It worked when the installer set it up but before he had left, after switching the box off and on they got no picture. Only fix was changing to a v3 box.

Are you using the same HDMI input on the AVR as the HD box? It shouldn't be an issue if the Xbox works but maybe check the Denon firmware is up to date too?

I have that amp and sky q (the latest 1tb 4k hdr box) and it works (4k hdr) . Albeit it's a bit glitchy waking up from standby quite often and is very glitchy with ARC turned on.

I would suggest trying the sky q box directly into the tv to rule out the TV or sky q box being an issue.

Assuming it's not the tv or box itself, then I would unplug everything at the mains (leave off for a few minutes) , then try the amp with sky q being the only device plugged into the amp. Consider trying it in with the input and cable you know works for your xbox.

If still not working then disable all the arc/earc stuff you can find on the amp/TV to try and get the simplest connection possible and work from there.

Hello folks

Thank you Very much to you all for taking the time to reply.

Both the avr and sky have latest updates.

I've now tried new / supposedly better HDMI cables for the sky q to avr, and avr arc to TV HDMI arc, only difference is I now have no flicker, just a black screen, I still get the sky picture to momentarily flash up when I put the sky into standby.

I've tried turning off arc which seems to make no difference, tried removing all other hdmi's ( I only have three at the moment ( series X, Xbox one, sky q ) and just using one input for sky q and no input seems to make a difference ( cable/sat , blu ray, media player etc etc ) .

However, if I connect the sky q directly to the TV via HDMI, and back to the avr though HDMI and arc it works .

The TV is a Panasonic P50 GT plasma bought in 2013, that I love, but am going to upgrade to an LGC1 now that I have the series X and now sky q.

Do I lose any sound quality by wiring the sky q directly to the TV, and then to the avr via HDMI arc, as opposed to going directly to the avr cable\ sat input and then back to the TV via HDMI and arc ? I'm guessing not, but I'm not hugely knowledgeable on such things.

Thank you again for your help

Simon

What you've described has been a problem with SkyQ, the 2TB box for a while. I thought that it had been addressed. I had exactly the same with a Denon X6200 and the 2TB box. To stop it you have to close down both devices in sequence. When you finish watching Sky then turn the Denon off first, let the audio come back to the TV's speakers. Then you can turn off Sky. Next time you want to use Sky you should get full audio and video.

If it does happen then you have to turn Sky off at the wall. Wait a few seconds and turn back on it will reboot to it's full working order. Sky blame Denon who in turn blame Sky but personally I think it's the Sky box at fault as it also happened with other AV makes as well.

Hello folks

Thank you Very much to you all for taking the time to reply.

Both the avr and sky have latest updates.

I've now tried new / supposedly better HDMI cables for the sky q to avr, and avr arc to TV HDMI arc, only difference is I now have no flicker, just a black screen, I still get the sky picture to momentarily flash up when I put the sky into standby.

I've tried turning off arc which seems to make no difference, tried removing all other hdmi's ( I only have three at the moment ( series X, Xbox one, sky q ) and just using one input for sky q and no input seems to make a difference ( cable/sat , blu ray, media player etc etc ) .

However, if I connect the sky q directly to the TV via HDMI, and back to the avr though HDMI and arc it works .

The TV is a Panasonic P50 GT plasma bought in 2013, that I love, but am going to upgrade to an LGC1 now that I have the series X and now sky q.

Do I lose any sound quality by wiring the sky q directly to the TV, and then to the avr via HDMI arc, as opposed to going directly to the avr cable\ sat input and then back to the TV via HDMI and arc ? I'm guessing not, but I'm not hugely knowledgeable on such things.

Thank you again for your help

Simon
Connecting Q to the TV and using ARC from the TV to the AMP should be fine. You will still get Dolby Digital signal at the amp. When I had Sky Q I used it that way as the Q box always seemed happier going straight into the TV.

I get awful issues with new sky Q connected to my Arcam avr20 so bad in fact like the problems you described, I have to use an optical cable from sky to the Avr.

I have to say tho the Panasonic P50 GT plasma is not 4k ready, (lovely display) I had the same tv before my Samsung Q7.

Go into sky setting and switch it to 1080p

Last edited:
Thank you all

I'm tempted to leave as is, as It's nice to have it now working with both a picture and sound, albeit directly to the TV, then the avr, but I suspect I might not be getting Dolby digital.

If I go into the sky q settings / set up / audio visual I can select 1080p for the picture, but the next setting ( digital audio output HDMI ) only has sound through the avr if I select normal, choosing either Dolby digital or Dolby digital plus produces no sound. I have a 5.1 set up, no Atmos.

The setting below that, digital audio output optical, lets me select Dolby digital, but with an optical I can hear no discernible difference in the sound, not sure how to check if I'm receiving Dolby digital or not.

Kind regards

Simon

You will get 5.1 DD though the optical setting to your avr and your avr should show that on the display, I think you have to change the avr input settings to optical and then bitsteam on avr??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom