Denon 2300w, Samsung MU6100. No sound through apps

Leights1978

Anyone help me please. I have the above AVR and a new smart Samsung TV. I got sound for Sky, Popcorn Hour and PS4. However, when I want to use a built in apps e.g BBC IPlayer, Netflix etc I have NO sound. The image will play but the audio will always default to Sky.

I have the HDMI's into the ARC ports on the TV and AVR.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You need to turn on both HDMI Control and ARC within the AV receiver's HDMI settings. You'll also need to activate Anynet+ on the TV and set its speakers to the AV Receiver HDMI ARC setting. I'd suggest you put both the TV and the receiver into standby after altering the settings ouline and then powering them back up to resinstigate an HDMI handshake between them that reflects the changes made.

Leights1978

Right, I confirmed the settings as above. Rebooted to ensure correct handshake. Still no sound. Do I need to change the source on the AVR? The picture is BBC iPlayer but the audio is the channel I was watching on sky. Any more suggestions?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AV receiver shoulld have automatcally switched to the source associated with ARC as soon as you started using the SMART app on the TV. I'd again check the settings I mentioned and maybe even try a different HDMI cable between the AV receiver and the TV. Also ensure that the receiver's TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting within the HDMI settings is set to ON. Maybe also try to manually switch the AV receiver to the TV source by pressing the TV button on the remote?

If you had the settings correctly configured then you shouldn't be having the issue you are having. There's no issue associated with Denon receivers in association with Samsung TVs and ARC. Are you sure Both HDMI Control and ARC are turned on within the receiver HDMI settings and that you've turned Anynet on onboard the TV as well as setting the TV's speakers to the AV Receiver HDMI ARC option? The latter is particularly importantant and ARC will not function if you leave the speaker setting set to either the optical option or the TV's own speakers. Maybe also double check that you are using the HDMI1 output from the receiver to the ARC enabled input on the TV.

Leights1978

As before, thanks. It's definitely an operator error, that's for sure. I have enabled all the necessary settings on the TV including speakers to AV. ARC is activated.

You mention changing the source on the AVR to TV. Does that mean I should have a separate HDMI for that? I currently have HDMI from Sky, PS4 and Popcorn Hour. Then one from Denon to ARC HDMI port on the TV.
I'll try another HDMI.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You do not need a seperate HDMI connection. THe receiver accesses the ARC audio using the existing HDMI connection from the AV receiver's HDMI output to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI input. If ARC and HDMI control are enabled on the DEnon receiver, the TV source button is automatically assigned to the ARC audio. Switching should however automatically occur whenever you switch the TV to a source connected directly to it or if using its internal tuners or smart apps. You would need to manually switch the receiver back to another source after using ARC and the TV as a source.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Internet suggests maybe using toslink cable. Surely this is old tech?

If you cannot manage to get ARC to work then you'd be left with no other option other than using S/PDIF optical. THe only real drawback with using optical is the need for an additional cable. ARC in its present incarnation is restricted to and only able to convey the same digital audio commonly associated with S/PDIF. You vannot convey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD or PCM audio consisting of more than just 2 channels via either ARC or S/PDIF. THe actual digital audio that both can convey is the same audio and ARC sourced audio is no better than that associated with S/PDIF.

Leights1978

I'll stick with problem solving with HDMI. Would I benefit from a factory reset on the Denon? Thus allowing it to walk through all the inputs and outputs again? Is it clever enough to recognise ARC?

dante01

Distinguished Member
As said, ARC should now be working if the settings I mentioned are set as suggested. I'd not expect a factory reset to resolve your issue.

Leights1978

Right, matter resolved. I had hidden TV audio as an option and thus it was never selected. Such a simple change can waste time. Thanks very much for all your help Dante. Don't suppose u know much about the Popcorn Hour do you, got a quality problem there [emoji38][emoji38]

dante01

Distinguished Member
Right, matter resolved. I had hidden TV audio as an option and thus it was never selected. Such a simple change can waste time. Thanks very much for all your help Dante. Don't suppose u know much about the Popcorn Hour do you, got a quality problem there [emoji38][emoji38]

I own a Mede8er media player, but have no experience of Popcorn Hour players.

jggoslyn

Novice Member
Hi Dante, in relation to the arc and iplayer issue I am having the same problem although my tv has anynetb( hdmi - cec) not arc but and arc cable from my denon av2300. All settings as you have stated but no sound from the iplayer.... Audio format is Dts new 2:5' bitstream hdmi format would that affect it or do I just need an optical cable? Denon actually advised a optical cable but reading what you I don't?
Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi Dante, in relation to the arc and iplayer issue I am having the same problem although my tv has anynetb( hdmi - cec) not arc but and arc cable from my denon av2300. All settings as you have stated but no sound from the iplayer.... Audio format is Dts new 2:5' bitstream hdmi format would that affect it or do I just need an optical cable? Denon actually advised a optical cable but reading what you I don't?
Thanks

Your TV will have ARC and Anynet is indeed what Samsung term their implimentation of HDMI CEC.Anynet would need to be engaged in order for ARC to function and you'd also need to set the TV's speaker setting to the HDMI ARC option. Also ensure the receiver is connected to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI input. ONly one of the TV's inputs will be ARC enabled. On the receiver, ensure HDMI Control and ARC are turned on within the receiver's HDMI settings. I'd suggest you power both the TV and receiver down into standby and then power them up again to re establish a HDMI handshake between them.

Don;t set the TV to the DTS upmixing option. I'd suggest you set it to Dolby Digital while actually accessing something via the TV that is encoded with Dolby Digital.

ARC does work in conjunction with both Samsung TVs and DEnon AV receivers.

jggoslyn

Novice Member
Thanks Dante I will change the DTS settings when I get home, but am pretty sure the rest is as you say.
Cheers

danschy

Novice Member
Right, matter resolved. I had hidden TV audio as an option and thus it was never selected. Such a simple change can waste time. Thanks very much for all your help Dante....

Had to join the forum just to post my thanks. I've been fighting with ARC off and on for a month or two and ran across this solution to my issue. Yay, problem solved! Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022