Denon 2300 or samsung HW K850?

Wilson D

Hi guys. Im trying to decide to stick with an amp or go down the soundbar route. Ive got a pioneer vsx 920 at the min, but wanting to upgrade to dolby atmos. Been lookin at the Denon 2300 with a speaker package (not sure which one yet) or the HW K850 any help and advice is much appreciated.

gibbsy

A 5.1 even with an entry level receiver and speaker package will trounce any soundbar. No more to be said.

Wilson D

Well the k850 and the k950 are gettin good reviews. I was just wantin to keep it tidy without the extra cables.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Well the k850 and the k950 are gettin good reviews. I was just wantin to keep it tidy without the extra cables.
They are reviewed for what they are and what they are is a compromise arrived at for those not able or willing to impliment a proper surround sound setup. If making direct comparisons then the more conventional setup using an AV receiver and speakers placed around the room will win. You also now appear to be charged more for the compromised option due to the way it has been marketed at consumers.

If you can accommodate them, a conventional AV receiver and speakers will be the better sounding option and will give you a more enveloping surround sound experience.

Wilson D

Well ive already got a 7.1 setup just got a bit bored, hopefully the atmos will put a fresh spin on things.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Well ive already got a 7.1 setup just got a bit bored, hopefully the atmos will put a fresh spin on things.
It you want Atmos then forget soundbars. THe Samsung says it has Atmos abilities, but hasn't any provision for the additional speakers required. What you'l get is pseudo Atmos. There's also the fact that there's only one soundbar able to handle both Atmos and DTS:X and this is Yamaha's YSP5600. This is however very expensive and compromised due to not having the ability to passthrough HDR metadata.

gibbsy

Then go 5.1.2. Although I never had the room to run 7.1 I would certainly never go back to a floor only layout.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom