Denon 2200

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stupot43, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I am thinking of buying this player to replace my ageing (but still a cracking player) Pioneer 737. The reason i want to upgrade is that I want DVD-Audio & SACD. I have always had Pioneer players and have never had any trouble with them. I am feeling very reluctant to go to another brand but i also want progressive scan, to try and be some sort of "future proofing". I also need mp3/wma playback and the ability to play DVD+R/RW. In other words I want my cake and eat it. After reading some forums there seems to be a lot of bugs in the newer players, perhaps because they are trying to be a jack of all trades instead of being the master of one. What i would like to know from the members are:Does anyone have this player & how have they found it.? have they had problems and if so have they been able to overcome them? I am also open to suggestions for alternative players in the same price range as long they can meet my playing requirements.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated
    Has anyone had dealing with Leading Edge Concepts? They have the player at £470 + p&p

2. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there,

I have had the denon 2200 for about 3 weeks now and have to say it is excellent and I have had no problems with it. I upgraded from a Pioneer 717 because I wanted component outputs/prog scan - there is a definite improvement in picture quality and the sound quality with cd's is in a different class to my old 717. I use it with a 42" Plasma and to be honest haven't seen much difference between interlaced and progressive. I bought mine from LE Concepts and got excellent service (it's multi-region out of the box). Hope this helps your decision.

3. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks for the info JSPR.
    Have you had any experience with RCE discs. I`ve read that some with mods you have to play a normal R1 disc first before playing the RCE R1 disc? Also some people have had probs with dvd+r/rw discs?

4. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stupot,

I have had this player for four months. It is a very good player indeed, it has always played whatever I have thrown at it. I have one for sale in the classifieds for £365 inc P&P if you are interested. I have just gone over to HCPC instead which prompts the sale.

Ajax.

5. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Stupot - I haven't tried any RCE discs so can't answer that. I've had no problems playing DVD-R discs - even playing those that my Pio 717 didn't like.

6. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very close to buying this player. Spoke to someone at creative audio in Shrewsbury, 449 pounds. I want to see it demoed first, though. I'm going to get it for the progressive scan facility. The man at creative said that the multi-region hack would be done via a CD-ROM rather than through the hardware/firmware - which method do you think is best, cos I want to be able to play just about any region, and don't want the hassle of particular discs messing up???

7. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 2200 from a dealer who put the multiregion CD in the drive and it plays R1 discs without a problem. Its a great machine both teh sound and the video are a huge step up from my previous one (a Toshiba 220) and greater than I expected. I also wanted DVD-A which when you get it going does sound great. Only let down is the remote which feels a bit cheap on a £500 machine.

8. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so the CD-ROM hack is suitable and will not play up.

On another note I was looking at specs. for the 2200 and 2900 on the denon uk site, and found that there really was no difference in the quality of components, just the build, it seems. The audio and video D/A converters have the same spec., as does the progressive decoding chip. Is that your experience aswell?

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Why not have a look at the Pioneer 668AVS as well?

It has all the features you require, but is not quite as good as the Denon 2200 with stereo music.

It also has HDMI which future proofs it slightly.

I've had my Pioneer 668 for a good few months now and am VERY impressed with it. The pic quality is almost as good as its bigger brother the 868, and easily a match for the current 757. Great build quality too.

The Denon is a class act too though, but if you do not want to switch brands, then the Pioneer 668 is also a great machine. In fact, I think it won Home Cinema Choices mid-range player of the year award in their awards a couple of months back.

10. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think "future-proofing" is an odd turn of phrase to apply to DVD player buying these days. You can guarantee that whatever you buy today will cost less in a months time, and by then will lack some new feature that you suddenly find you want.

I believe you should buy the cheapest player that is good enough and has features you will actually use, then try to avoid the temptation to upgrade for as long as possible, then buy using the same criteria again.

I think the Denon probably is the best option if you want an outstanding player now (rather than settling for one 90% as good for 25% of the price.)

I have already identified recording (possibly including recording in WMV9 format) and a wireless networking connection as essential features of my next player. Fortunately these are not readily available, so it will be easy for me to hold out against upgrading. (Kiss is currently advertising players with wireless networking connection - I think one or two Chinese players are also starting to do this.)

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hence the phrase 'future proofing' in quotes :)

The pioneer is a good match for the Denon 2200, with the Denon just edging it on stereo music ability, otherwise the Pioneer 668 is more or less its equal.

12. Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hello,
    I have the 2200 as well. But...it has trouble loading or playing portions of some dvds...here are some:

The fullscreen option on "Top Gun"...plays the widescreen option just fine, but not the fullscreen option.

I have 2disc set of "First Blood"...it won't play the fullscreen disc of the two.

And...the player doesn't seem to like to widescreen option in "Bug's Life" either.

Anyone else experience this? Is it perhaps the firmware issue? Boy, I hope it's that simple.

Phaedrus (Ontario, Canada)