1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2200 vs. 2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KraGorn, Jan 3, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can someone please highlight for me the main differences between these beasts? After reading detailed specs, summaries, etc. I'm still bemused as to what the extra £200-£300 for the 2900 gets you.

I'm looking to get something to use with my 3803, and a Denon seems like a sensible starting point. :)

Ta.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I think its mainly on the audio side thats improved on the 2900 though i must say compared to my previous machine (Pioneer 939) i think the sound when playing CD`s on my 2200 is superb.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have not compared them side by side...but i did have the 2900 for a couple of weeks......i now have the 2200 and from what i can remember of the 2900, the PQ is the same to me........i can notice a diff between this and my old pio 656.
    The Audio side does not sound as good as the 2900 did.
    I remember putting a few disks in the 2900 and thinking....oh yes that sounds nice......sounded better than the 626,656, aiwa midi system i had before.
    But there was not a big diff between the 656 and 2200, although the 2200 does sound better with DVD-A/SACD, surround sound, sounds better to me.
    Looking at the various websites around, with internal pictures of both machines, then there does seem to be a bit of difference between the componets in the 2.......the 2900 looks like it has more robust components, better PSU.
    Some people say the 2900 is better because it is a double layer chassie (think i spelt that wrong.....oh well), but i cannot see what diff that would make.......just means they can put thinks on 2 layers instead of 1.
    Looking at the internal pics, they could of put the components of the 2900 on 1 layer and saved on metal.

i think the 2200 is a good player, but then i like the denon players anyway......i like the look/design and the idea of the buffer mem to get rid of layer changes.
    But i would say, if you can afford to, then go for the 2900...but then again if you can afford a bit more, then go for the A11.
    I keep looking at the A11, but think i will have to wait a year, so i can recover from all the money i've spent last year.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks both.

Chris: so you're saying the on-board decoding of DVD-A and SACD seems better on the 2900. Hmmm .. I guess that's where the second high-quality DAC in the 2900 makes itself felt I guess, seeing as that's one of the obvious spec. differences.

The A11 (aka 5900) doesn't appeal to be honest, the price is laughable for me .. I'm seriously questioning the difference the 2200 and 2900 .. the 5900 is twice the price. :eek:

So it seems that if SACD and DVD-A aren't of too much interest, beyond having the ability to play them should I feel the need, that the extra £300 the 2900 costs could go towards something more useful .. maybe like paying off a bit of the plastic. :D

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well yea there is that.
    I dont own many DVD-A/SACD disks......prob about 2 of both.
    And i prob play about 4 CD's a year, so to me the PQ was the most important thing.
    But the 2900 does look better, just because of the size of it.
    The 2900 looks like £700's worth.

I've had a couple of people look at the 2200 and say " thats a nice player....how much is one of them?".....when i tell them it was £500 they laugh and say " you could of got one for £30 from asda"..........they have no idea.......
    You should see there faces when i tell them how much my Sub was....:D