Denon 2200 - Vibration?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve 111, Aug 31, 2004.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Denon 2200 has the tendency every now and then to vibrate to the extent that it transfers onto my AV cabinet (wood) and creates an audible sound not unlike a speaker buzzing.

Has anyone experienced this with Denon DVD players in the past or have I got a fault?

2. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, I have the denon 2900 and it started the same vibration about a week ago. Sometimes it vibrates and sometimes it does not,depending on what disc you are playing.

With some DVD's the vibration is worse that others, it vibrates so bad that the AV rack starts rattling.

I am taking it back to the dealers when i get some time !!

3. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep my 2200 does the same, however I've only noticed it on a couple of discs so far (the unit is only 3 week or so old).

4. PeWe

PeWe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I have just purchased a Denon DVD-3910 and have experienced heavy vibrations when playing som discs. The vibrations occures at the beginning of the DVD only, stops after appr. 10 minutes. :mad:

I'll check with more discs to get a picture about the frequence. A DVD-player like this one should be able to handle ALL discs and it seems to be a bad weakness to be sensitive like this. All discs that causing vibrations in my DVD-player will be forwarded to friends with other players which costs half as mine.

Any other with same experience as I have and the other with the DVD-2200/2900?

5. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PeWe,

This is exactly what I experienced on my 2200. Its to do with disc balance and I think the reason it goes after about 10 minutes is that the disc eventually positions itself in the tray in a way that stops it.

Whenever I now get this problem, I stop the disc shuffle it around in the tray a bit and restart. This normally solves it. Not ideal I know, but I think its to do with discs being slightly out of balance rather than your player.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Does it happen with just certain discs? I have a similar problem with some laptop and CD Rom drives at work. I've narrowed it down to the thickness of the CD (disk). Some disks, such as Microsoft Developer CD's are almost twice as thick as ordinary CDR's or disks from other software suppliers. These thicker and heavier disks tend to make the drives vibrate much more loudly when they are spinning and reading the disk. Bloody irritating in a quiet open-plan office. :mad:

Could your problem disks be thicker than normal?

However still no excuse for a quality procduct like a mid/top-end Denon. :thumbsdow

7. PeWe

PeWe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    steve 111 & Nobber22:
    The vibrations have occured in some DVD's so far. 1:st and 3:rd DVD I used in the brandnew DVD-3910 + two more last night. I stopped the DVD, opened the shuttle, replaced the DVD, closed the shuttle and restarted the DVD without any improvements.

I found it repeatable when I restarted the vibrating DVD from the beginning which was working ok after 10 minutes or so. Go to next scene-ok, go back to first-Vibrations! I could repeat it many times. I'll check as many discs I can.
    All vibrating DVD's are purchased as ordinary movieDVD, no "home made" or similar. I have tested CD and SACD which works fine. I'll check with most of my CD's and DVD to verify the failure percentage. Also a visual inspection might give some leads as previously said in this forum about the edge of the DVD which looked like melted material...
    I hope that more people have som good ideas to avoid this and avoid returning the DVD-player :smashin: Mine is only two weeks old in my house...

News :hiya:
    The vibrations are now solved since 6 months... :clap:
    I returned the player to the DENON service where they replaced the motor. Since that can I play DVD's, DVD-audio without the heavy sounding vibrations.
    This player is not absolute silent anyway, I have read a review in a homecinema magasine that complained about the mechanics noice that is caused by the double speed that this player use to avoid noteable layerchanges on the screen.
    I prefer visible layerchange that occures ony once per DVD.