Denon 2200 or Sony DVP NS930 (or 955)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stinky985, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Help! I need a new DVD player. Requirements are: good video and sound quality and good cd playback. It will be my all in one solution rigged up to Panny SAXR45 (for the moment) and AE Evo 3's, centre and compacts. And for the next few years a Sony 28DL11 IDTV. Which of the Denon and old (or new) sony would best suit? I lean towards Sony for 2xscart and i was happy with the Ns900 i had, but the Denon was more expensive and i have always fancied one...
    thanks. :confused:

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I have just upgraded from a Sony 930 to a Denon 2200 - Superfi are currently doing them for £299.

I cannot comment on CD playback, as I have separate CD player.

The picture on the Denon is undoubtedly better than the Sony through the component output, but there is not too much in it.

The main improvement for me is the removal of any layer change pause, which I always found slightly annoying with the Sony.

Build is slightly better on the Denon, but you do lose a few of the Sony's tricks such as remembering the position you were on the last 5 or so DVDs that you played.

OVerall, I would definitely recommend the Denon, unless you can pick Sony up s/h at a good price. At full price (£300 Denon v £230 Sony), the Denon is the better choice.

3. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats great thank-you! Superfi was where i saw the Denon and that prompted the 'which one' debate. I will be using RGB scart for the moment though, any views on the picture difference through RGB Scart?

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Excellent.

5. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Agreed not much difference between Component and RGB (with a good quality scart cable) if you ask me :thumbsup:

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Sorry, I have not used RGB SCART on either player.

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can the denon do prog scan over component and interlaced over rgb at the same time?

8. Chrisw2k

Chrisw2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that yesterday and it worked.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    thanks

10. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks all. Just ordered the Denon form Superfi along with the '7 day special' RGB only QED Scart lead at £25. Cant wait but a little nervous that i spent £300! Cheers!

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good, keep us posted.

12. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    i would have gone for the sony, i got the 900 and have been more than pleased with it.

13. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had the Sony NS900 and was very pleased with it. In the end it came to the layer change (the sony was quite noticible and 'plays all discs' scenario. And the new Sony NS955 i could find no reviews of yet so stuck. Anyway if the Denon was originally £600 and got rave reviews - it cant be bad for half that price can it?! :smashin:
    Anyone got opinions on the quality of playing normal music CDs/SACD/DVD-A?

14. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'm currently weighing up either the NS930 or the 2200 as well.

How bad is the layer change on the NS930 ? Its noticeable on my current Pioneer 565, so if its no worse than that, I'm not too bothered.......

Also, would I notice much difference in picture quality between the Sony and the Denon ? I'm only using a Panasonic CRT, and intend to stick with it for a while yet, so its the RGB picture quality I'm really interested in.

I've seen a NS930 multi-region for £215, whereas the cheapest the Denon seems to be available for is £299, and thats in either gold or black, which is a bit of a put off.

I'm tempted to plump for the Sony, unless anybody's gonna advise otherwise ! :D

Ian.

15. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    id go for the sony, im not a sony fan usualy but there dvd players are up there with the best for there munditory value. So go do it buy the sony you wont be dissapointed.

16. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    I had the Sony 725 then the 905 and now I have just changed to the Sony 930 for progressive scan through a plasma tv......All models I was and am happy with as the picture quality is breathtaking on the Sony's...BTW I am not a Sony fan but when it comes to their dvd players they are as thedude said up with the best of them ....as for layer change it has never bothered me at all ....

thanks
    swartzy :)

17. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks Guys :)

The Sony it is then.
    Anybody seen it cheaper than £215 multi-region ?

Not that I think thats a bad price - I'm just a tight Yorkshireman :laugh:

Ian.

18. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    My NS930 arrived today !
    Top service too - only ordered it at lunchtime yesterday - hats off to Digital Point.......
    I'll have a play with it over the weekend, and let you know what I think.

Ian.

19. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    you'll enjoy it thoroughly :)

20. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now by contrast, i opted for the Denon as i had NS900v before and it also arrived today from Superfi - on the day i asked for it to be delivered (half term) so great service form them too! I will also play around this weekend and let you know what i reckon. Could be an interesting comparison to see if we both chose right.... or not!! :laugh:

21. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have been a Sony user for some time but recently changed to Pioneer and find the layer change far less noticeable.
    The build of the 900v was awsome but it didn't handle -R too well and the Pioneer also plays DVD-A of which I have none! The Pioneer is a 757, works well and does all formats, I do not expect to change it as my plasma doesn't do DVI.

22. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Denon hasn't got any layer change.

:)

23. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I would have considered Denon, except the 757 was a secret purchase to replace a 565 which doesn't have PAL pog.
    I got rumbled in the end!

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i will be keeping a eye on this thread lol.keep us updated with all your sony vs denon comparisions as soon as you had time to test each.

25. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How good is the Pioneer 757? in comparison to the 565? Because i am looking at doing the old switcharoo, er' in doors might not like the money im splashing out.

26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :rotfl: love all this "stealth" upgrading :smashin: :laugh:

27. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    DENON 2200 First impressions. Ok first of all i am only putting this through a RGB Enable scart into a Sony 28" IDTV. I got a Sony SB100 system free with the TV and it got me out of a hole whilst my othe AV stuff was in 'storage' the Denon was to replace it and will now be sold on (it is very good for the RRP though and i was really quite impressed!). By default the Video sends composite (e.g rubbish!) signal via the scart so my initial 'oh my god what have i done' was soon put to rest! Setting it up was easy through the on screen menus and i still havent opened the manual. I will but only later on! After setting things up i put in The Lion King 2 (one of a couple of actual DVDs that arent packed, no other reason!) and was marginally surprised using the cheapish scart currently in use with the Sony. The colours seemed a bit deeper, vivid and there was absolutely no jitter. I was happy with this. However i also bought a RGB only wired QED Scart and the results were even better. Everything was there that made it look crisp, clear-striking in fact. It is by far the best picture i have seen on a CRT using RGB.I havent tried playing with the Video settings available yet so things i am sure can only get better! Oh and so far - not a hint of layer change! I cant test the sound capabilities quite yet as my stuff is in storage, but i may try it through the Sony before i pack it away. But even then it wouldnt really be fair to do that as i have AE Aegis Evo surround and the sony is pretty good, but not that good! Only thing i was slightly disappointed about is that the build quality was nowhere near as good as the Sony NS900v that i had, especially for the Denon's original £600 RRP. But, and its a big but, the build quality is not by any means bad. Another Scart socket like the Sony would have been nice, but i dont need it and to be honest i dont care! compared to my NS900v (which the ex now has) its is visually better and with no layer change i am sure i made the right choice! Now when i test the sound i best not be disappointed!! So, Anyone wanna buy a SB100 - gonna have to stick it in the for sale bit!

28. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What happened with the Sony?!

29. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    OK,

Not had TOO much of an opportunity to play around with the Sony yet, but did manage to watch Master and Commander (R2) last night. Picture (RGB) was excellent - easily on a par with my previous Pio 565, and probably better - I'll need to watch a few DVDs with varying picture quality to confirm this.

Several things that I was immediately impressed with :

None of the dreaded banding on NTSC material - the main reason I bought it to be honest !

2 SCARTS, and the ability to turn off the picture from the player, but keep the sound, thus enabling you to listen to CDs, whilst passing through an RGB signal from SKY+ - fantastic feature in my opinion :thumbsup:

Plenty of picture adjustments available - I always thought the 565 was a bit poor in that respect.

Only grumbles I have so far are the remote is a bit cheap looking (not a problem for me as I've got a universal remote anyway), and there's a big ugly white sticker on the front of it saying "PAL Progressive". Why do companies insist on sticking stickers on when we know the features anyway ???

So far (touch wood), I'm a happy bunny ! :)

30. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Had the day off today, so played around with the Sony a bit more.

It doesn't quite get rid of NTSC banding altogether - watched the R3 of Hellboy, and its still visible on scenes with very bright white in them. Only noticed it about 3 or 4 times during the movie however, so its miles better than the Pioneer in that respect. I'm starting to think that the problem lies with Panasonic TVs, and that some DVD players are just far better at masking it than others...........

Other than that, I have no complaints. Layer change is maybe a tad slower than the Pioneer, but you're always gonna notice a layer change unless you buy a Denon :)

Sounds good for CDs as well.

Ian.