1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2200 No sound on SACD playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve 111, Jun 25, 2005.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought my first SACD album 'War of the Worlds'. On putting it in to my Denon 2200 it is clearly playing the disc but I get no sound. My player is connected to my amp using a digital coax cable, and the amp input was set to DVD but still no sound.

looked in both my amp and DVD manuals but nothing I changed in the menus seemed to do the trick. Anyone any thoughts?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    SACD isn't output via optical or digital coaxial. You need to connect up three pairs of standard analog phono cables from the 5.1 Outputs on your player to the External Decoder Inputs of your Amp if you want to hear it properly.

3. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Apparently you can pass the audio digitally via HDMI from what I've read. Don't know if that's true.

Looks like I may be getting an SACD player too thanks to War of the Worlds :D . I think this one album could sell a lot of them! :D

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    HDMI Ver 1.1 can pass DVD Audio, Dolby and DTS but not SACD as yet. Obviously you need a compatible Amp with HDMI Ver 1.1 to be able to hear it.

5. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well my Sony DB940 amp is on it's way out as the centre channel keeps cutting out, so I may have to buy a new amp anyway :D

Hmm, but if HDMI doesn't yet support SACD... will it at some point and should I wait until then?

If I get a player with HDMI it would also mean I could get a new TV too. A plasma or LCD perhaps :D. Only problem is I keep thinking I should wait for a set with 1080 resolution as almost all the HD sets are only 720.

6. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Didn't realise that. Thanks.