Denon 2200/HK2550 or Sony730/930?

V5-APS

Which player to partner Panny 42PW6 plasma screen.....looking for picture quality along with highest disc compatibilty.....
DVD+R/RW as well as DVD-R/RW.
SACD/DVD-A not essential, although nice to have.

U

Underscore

Well, the Sony players claim DVD+/-R(W), but I can't vouch for that, and I'm currently very impressed with my 730 - though I've only started playing with it a little so far. No SACD (though the 930 does) or DVD-A. Also don't now what the analogue output is like, since I only use digital. At £125, I reckon the the 730 looks like a bargain at the mo' if it meets your requirements.

HTH,

_

hornydragon

SOny players are qite fussy when it comes to home burnt discs. My vote goes for a HK DVD25/2550 or 506 all around £300 and good disc compatibility including MP3 and WMA playback.

C

Coaxial

The pioneer is the best screen I have ever seen, IMHO contrast is much morte important than HDMI, with HDMI you get better refinement at the expense of contrast, which looks cool close up in a shop, and less cool several feet away in your home. Make sure whatever player you get has PAL / NTSC prog. scan, the 25/2550 is a decent player, but I'd personally put something better on a P6, can you stretch to an Arcam DV88 / 89?
Out of your list, I'd avoid sony for reliabiliy reasons, then use Denon for compatibility, the harman for picture quality, but would urge you to spend a bit more on the source, considering you have ther best screen on the market...

jurass

Standard Member
Originally posted by hornydragon
SOny players are qite fussy when it comes to home burnt discs.
I have a Lite-ON LDW-811S burner. I was considering getting myself a 930 or 730 (before Philips started to bundle 32PW8818 - an older no P+ :cool: model - with a stand and DVD763SA for less than 800 quid over here), so I tried a couple of el-cheapo DVD-Rs on 330, 730 and 930. Found no problems at all. They were all quite new units tho.

Ged

My Sony 900v sometimes has trouble with -R, but they are fine in the HS2, this is why I chose a 565 over a 930.

jurass

Standard Member
Furthermore to what I've written above, I went to a store yesterday since I was tempted by this Philips offering. I took two DVD-Rs burnt by me to try'em out on DVD763SA. One disk did not play at all and second was terribly freezing while run on Sony 930 a moment later, they played flawlessly. I think I made my final choice at last (after a year of horror;) ): Thomson 32WB642S + Sony DVP-NS930V:cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom