1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2200/HK2550 or Sony730/930?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by V5-APS, Feb 27, 2004.

1. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Which player to partner Panny 42PW6 plasma screen.....looking for picture quality along with highest disc compatibilty.....
    DVD+R/RW as well as DVD-R/RW.
    SACD/DVD-A not essential, although nice to have.

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the Sony players claim DVD+/-R(W), but I can't vouch for that, and I'm currently very impressed with my 730 - though I've only started playing with it a little so far. No SACD (though the 930 does) or DVD-A. Also don't now what the analogue output is like, since I only use digital. At £125, I reckon the the 730 looks like a bargain at the mo' if it meets your requirements.

HTH,

_

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SOny players are qite fussy when it comes to home burnt discs. My vote goes for a HK DVD25/2550 or 506 all around £300 and good disc compatibility including MP3 and WMA playback.

4. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Add the Pioneer 668 to the list as well.....opinions??

Thanks

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVi and Panny have a mixed relationship at the moment so not sure how well you would get along

6. Coaxial

Coaxial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pioneer is the best screen I have ever seen, IMHO contrast is much morte important than HDMI, with HDMI you get better refinement at the expense of contrast, which looks cool close up in a shop, and less cool several feet away in your home. Make sure whatever player you get has PAL / NTSC prog. scan, the 25/2550 is a decent player, but I'd personally put something better on a P6, can you stretch to an Arcam DV88 / 89?
    Out of your list, I'd avoid sony for reliabiliy reasons, then use Denon for compatibility, the harman for picture quality, but would urge you to spend a bit more on the source, considering you have ther best screen on the market...

7. redskorpion

redskorpion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Lite-ON LDW-811S burner. I was considering getting myself a 930 or 730 (before Philips started to bundle 32PW8818 - an older no P+ :cool: model - with a stand and DVD763SA for less than 800 quid over here), so I tried a couple of el-cheapo DVD-Rs on 330, 730 and 930. Found no problems at all. They were all quite new units tho.

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My Sony 900v sometimes has trouble with -R, but they are fine in the HS2, this is why I chose a 565 over a 930.

10. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Furthermore to what I've written above, I went to a store yesterday since I was tempted by this Philips offering. I took two DVD-Rs burnt by me to try'em out on DVD763SA. One disk did not play at all and second was terribly freezing while run on Sony 930 a moment later, they played flawlessly. I think I made my final choice at last (after a year of horror;) ): Thomson 32WB642S + Sony DVP-NS930V:cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D