Denon 2113 flashing red light - briefly turns on then off... HELP!? :)

Markyboy73

Novice Member
I have had the Denon from new and never worked it hard. Yesterday I turned it on, it briefly cycled through the usual display then powered off within 3 seconds, the power button light flashing red. I unplugged and still the same issue. I have read a few online suggestions and have since disconnected everything, unplugged and when powering up, the exact same flashing light comes on.

I have tried a hard reset (holding the two +- buttons on the front display along with power button) and this makes every element of the front display screen flash in 1 second intervals ... but nothing else. When I power on, the same fault with the flashing red light.

Any suggestions on the problem, cause or how to fix?

Appreciate the amp is old and so not likely to be viable if there is a cost involved in repairing ... but wanted to ensure I had explored every option before I bin it off. :(

Thanks ahead of your help and replies, Mark.

D

Deleted member 901590

Wouldn't hurt to try full factory reset (different to the normal reset) as below but please don't get your hopes up :)

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I have had the Denon from new and never worked it hard. Yesterday I turned it on, it briefly cycled through the usual display then powered off within 3 seconds, the power button light flashing red. I unplugged and still the same issue. I have read a few online suggestions and have since disconnected everything, unplugged and when powering up, the exact same flashing light comes on.

I have tried a hard reset (holding the two +- buttons on the front display along with power button) and this makes every element of the front display screen flash in 1 second intervals ... but nothing else. When I power on, the same fault with the flashing red light.

Any suggestions on the problem, cause or how to fix?

Appreciate the amp is old and so not likely to be viable if there is a cost involved in repairing ... but wanted to ensure I had explored every option before I bin it off. :(

Thanks ahead of your help and replies, Mark.
Possible power supply or protection problem. As well as the reset mentioned above unplug everything: inputs and speaker cables etc and try again. The "Protect" indicator comes on or the On/Standby LED flashes

Markyboy73

Novice Member
Possible power supply or protection problem. As well as the reset mentioned above unplug everything: inputs and speaker cables etc and try again. The "Protect" indicator comes on or the On/Standby LED flashes
Thanks for your reply. I have disconnected everything, powered it down and just plugged in power supply and still get the same red protect light, as you have described. I could try a different power supply cable, as not yet done that. Thank you.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply. I have disconnected everything, powered it down and just plugged in power supply and still get the same red protect light, as you have described. I could try a different power supply cable, as not yet done that. Thank you.
Unfortunately as this notes If these procedures do not resolve the issue you will need to have the unit looked at by a service technician.
Standby LED flashing on receiver / Protect Mode

gibbsy

It's not a power chord problem as it's going into a safety shutdown to protect the unit from any further damage. Check your speaker wiring for any strays hitting the carcass or another lead. If finding none then the next step is to remove all speaker cable and any connected kit. Put the amp out in the open and start it up. If it still goes into safety shutdown it needs to be looked at.

Markyboy73

Novice Member
It's not a power chord problem as it's going into a safety shutdown to protect the unit from any further damage. Check your speaker wiring for any strays hitting the carcass or another lead. If finding none then the next step is to remove all speaker cable and any connected kit. Put the amp out in the open and start it up. If it still goes into safety shutdown it needs to be looked at.
Thanks ... will try that. It has not been hot to the touch whilst being in protect mode so was hoping that the issue was not overheating, but will certainly give it some air.

Markyboy73

Novice Member
Everything has been disconnected and just the power chord put back in and it stays in protect mode, will go and check the speaker cable strays, as you suggest. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 901590

I realise you've probably dismissed my suggestion above but, just to let you know, the protection system is controlled by software - hence 1 in a million chance but still worth trying.

Markyboy73

Novice Member
Wouldn't hurt to try full factory reset (different to the normal reset) as below but please don't get your hopes up :)

Thank you ... I will give this a try and thanks for sharing. :)

Markyboy73

Novice Member
Does any one know the potential sell value for the unit in this condition ... would someone with the knowledge buy it? Or is it scrap? (I have purchased a new/upgraded amp). Thanks for any advice ...

D

Deleted member 901590

If it was me, I would ebay list it as auction. Should get at least fifty to a hundred quid.

If you have remote and mic - will make a lot more money selling them separately (although would take a while to sell).

Don't forget that offering delivery will make a big difference to the appeal.

What was the replacement out of interest?

gibbsy

Does any one know the potential sell value for the unit in this condition ... would someone with the knowledge buy it? Or is it scrap? (I have purchased a new/upgraded amp). Thanks for any advice ...
Can't see any ones offered for sale at the moment but there are some working 2310s with asking price of £95.

Markyboy73

Novice Member
Can't see any ones offered for sale at the moment but there are some working 2310s with asking price of £95.
Thanks ... wonder if someone would give me £50 for it and see if they can repair ... will stick an ad on here later and see if I get any takers.

Cantaffordmcintosh

Novice Member
My x3300 just fell victim to the blinking red light of death (aka protect mode). This is the second time this has happened- the first time I had it repaired under warranty, which took 3 months. Now out of warranty. All cables disconnected. Tried the user and factory resets. No effect. It always shuts down after 3 seconds. Weird thing is that just before this all happened, there was a low level hum coming from the speakers, then it just went.

Kapkirk

Change the 15v regulator on the main board as seen in this video.

Pretty common with these units.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom