1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2106 ....What ~HiFi 5/5 ..really that good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by craynerd, Sep 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I`m confused, i buy what HiFi and never seem to trust their reviews!?

Like it gives the CA540r a 4/5 yet you guys blast on about it like its the best thing since sliced bread.
    It gives the Denon 1906 5/5 yet u guys dont disregard it, but think there is better.

Well now there is the Denon 2106 with a 5/5 rating. I`ve searched the boards and found limited infomation, but i just want to know, is it really worthy of the 5 stars or is there better for the money? I would go for a CA 540r but i have to say (i must be the only person in the universe!!) but i really dont like its asthetics, i think it looks strange and not how i feel a true amp should look, but for saying that i feel the Denon 1905 looks a bit plasticy but certainly like it over the CA.

However, all my searching, and i have still yet to find the 2106 in stores anywhere, so a few questions....
    a. is it really 5/5
    b. is it the same pannel and looks as the 1906 or completely different model?
    c. Would u recommend me take a look at something else before i commit to buying?

I will find it and test before i buy, but i know i`m not gonna have time in the next week, so would like a bit of info just to tantalise me a little more :rotfl:

Also, for the money ... if u had to pick one, Denon, 1906 or 2106 ..which ?

I have about £350-400max (£350 much prefered)....and i`ll probably be matching it with some floor standers, such as the Mission B4s ...or something on the £350 speaker boundry..with matching centre and rears to follow a few weeks later

:D

Chris

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    540r got 5/5 in 2 other magazines cant remember which, check it out in the budget reciever sticky, ranks very highly.

its just such amazing value for money, the 2106 probably just edges it out for movies and features, but i dont think its worth anywhere near an extra £150.

I would go for the 2106 over the 1906, it seems more beefy and heavyweight.

3. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers ched :D u seem to be the only one to answer my posts, think everyone else is fed up of me asking q`s :D :suicide:

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It would be difficult to answer questions about a piece of kit so new no one has it.

Always remember that magazines have an agenda, and while truly excellent kit gets the the deserved accolades, other stuff does sneak through that is perhaps slightly overplayed because of advertising revenue. I remember certain magazines being quite disdainful of Pioneer. Their critical acceptance came hot on the heels of some expensive double page adds on the glossy pages. No coincidence. You are never going to be told a Denon, Pioneer, Sony or Marantz are rubbish, but you do have to figure out for yourself if they are quite as good as claimed.

5. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    :D

May be I can add that the Denon 2106 has been tested by (at least) one of the leading german audio magazines. You can check it out on http://www.areadvd.de/ under the hardware/AV-receiver und verstarker section (that is if you can read german :=))

The tests reveal that is actually performs much better than the 2805 for a lesser price (German retail price for the 2106 is about 520 euro). Its performance is comparable to much more expensive receivers, therefor their ranking for this price segment:

1. Harman Kardon AVR-435, Denon AVR-2106
    2. Onkyo TX-SR702E
    3. Yamaha RX-V2500

As far as stereo performance is concerned, if you really listen a lot to stereo then go for a CA solution or use any of the aboved mentioned receivers with a dedicated amplifier for stereo.

6. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can translate that review using Altavista's Babelfish, it appears to get an excellent review.

Also look at www.denon.de they have a couple of reviews in German which you can translate as well.
    All the reviews seem very positive. Planning on buying a new amp in a couple of weeks to replace my Sony Str-DB840 and I am pretty much settled on the Denon 2106.

7. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, thanks.

I think that pretty much confirms it! However i am very concerned with the sterio audio quality!?! as it will be totally split 50/50 between music and movies!

I know i should go for the CA but i really dislike its looks and that totally puts me off! I think its gonna be the 2106 then ...do i really need a seperate amp for audio...for the quality i can hear, will i really be able to tell a difference running through a designated sterio amp or through the 2106 ?????

8. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Als0, can someone confirm, is it the internals that are different or is the whole unit different btween the 1906 and 2106....i.e do they LOOK the same ?

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :boring: i give up!!! :D save the money, get the CA and you won't need a power amp! mine is split 50/50 as well and its perfect for that ratio. With the money you save, you can buy a rotel or nad or some other power amp if you so wish (this improves CA's movies a lot as well)

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    They have some new upgraded models coming out soon so it might be worth waiting a seeing for a month or 2.

Also worth looking out for is a cheap Marantz sr7400. They have all the bells and whistles you can want and are superb with music.

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i tried to tempt a certain eviljohn away from his but no such luck :laugh:

12. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gutted, got all excited for the 7400! looks to have a great review...went to look to buy..and they are discontinued :(

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its been replaced by the 7500, thats why you may get it cheap. retails about £600? maybe more?

14. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

15. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My existing AV Receiver is Marantz SR7000 (used for many years), and just wonder whether the new Denon AVR2106 will be much better than the Marantz in term of movie & music concert ?!

I have a Tube Amp, and so 2 channels music will not be an important factor when chosing a new AV Receiver.

My current setup consist of :-
    (1) main speaker : KEF Q50
    (2) center speaker : KEF Model 90
    (3) rear speaker : Goodman Arena
    (4) sub-woofer : KEF Model 20B
    (5) DVD/SACD Player : Philips DVD963SA

Looking for any advice & opinion. Thanks !

16. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There is always one! :D

17. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2106 must be a pretty good machine, but I would buy a Marantz SR5500... :)

18. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the marantz 7500 really worth the extra over the 5500 ??

Think i`m gonna go for one of these two! they look really nice and get some great reviews.

Thanks for the help eviljon as well in your pm!

Now i just need to find somehwere that stocks these so i can have a demo!!

Chris

19. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just rang Seven Oaks - they dont have the denon 1905 2106, marantx 7500 or 5500 !!!

Thats rubbish, where else can i go near manchester (north manch) to demo any of these sets?