1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2106 or Pioneer 1015

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GGB, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GGB

GGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Planning on buying a new receiver over the month of September and the two that interest me are the Denon 2106 and the Pioneer 1015.

Anyone happened to demo either of these, or even better both?

Opinions or comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I had the same dilema, but when a local dealer offered my the 1014 at 300 quid, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Just demoed it and purchased it this lunchtime, so I'll let you know what it sounds like in my setup tomorrow. (Just upgraded from Sony 930 BTW, at least I hope it is an upgrade!)

1015 replacing 1014 BTW.

Dealer sells both Denon and Pioneer and rates this amp above the 1906/2106.

3. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, i just bought the 1015 and its a good amp, Got it for £400 as i could not find anyone that had it in stock down here. :(

4. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be getting the Denon 2106 when it comes out here in the US (end of September/beginning of October). Reason is because that's what my uncle recommends. He is the manager of a high quality audio/video store (called Magnolia Hi-Fi) and he told me that Denon at these price ranges offers the best features, quality, lots of current, and overall is just the best thing for me to get at my price range. Also, if you don't actually think about upgrading until this one dies, it'll last 10-15 years!

Go Denon!

5. GGB

GGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a review on this site of the Denon 2106, it's German and translated to English so the wording is a bit suspect.

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...ww.areadvd.de/hardware/denon_avr_2106_1.shtml

Compares the Denon and Pioneer often, with the Denon being labelled as a reference receiver, although I'm not sure how good this site is for reviews.

Recently read a review of the Pioneer 1015 in a magazine, it had a measured 95 watts into five channels (8 Ohms). Be interesting to see what wattage the Denon would manage, its rated at 90 Watts by Denon themselves. Am I right in thinking the better the wattage the less distortion when the volume is turned up? Although I realise there is more to the quality of a receiver than just power.

6. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Power means nothing to how little distortion it makes... current is what makes low distortion. An example, my Panasonic receiver is 100 watts x 5 @ 6 ohms but its distortion rating is 0.7%. A Harman/Kardon unit like the 135 is like 40 watts x 6 @ 8 ohms and it's distortion rating is... 0.07%. 10 times less! and it has less wattage per speaker. Denon makes high current amps like Harman/Kardon and Yamaha. I've been told that Pioneer isn't very high current until you get to their upper range stuff. So their entry level stuff is bad like my Panasonic receiver. I would have to find out which level this is but if it compares with the Denon, it probably is the higher level type.

7. GGB

GGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So have you had a chance to give your new Pioneer a listen? Whats the verdict? Have you tried both music and films?

8. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bizarre, the dealer I was at sells the Pioneer but not the Denon but rated the Denon 1906 better and has ordered me one in. Suppose it's all about opinions.
    Hope your happy with your sound. Let me know how it goes. I get my 1906 tomorrow (i hope) and am going to set up with my new M cubes

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    OK, I've had my 1014 for a few nights now, so hear is my verdict : Absolutely Brilliant!

Let me explain what I've got to put it into context. As my username suggests, the centre piece of my dedicated HC-Room is my Pioneer 434 Plasma TV. I use the Plasma speakers for my centre, not ideal, but a wife requirement (and not that bad at all actually). These are of course driven from the amp rather than the Plasma. Then I have 4 floor standing Tannoy dual concentric 6 series speakers, 2 Tannoy M1s on stands and a REL Q100E subwoofer.

I also have a Pioneer freeview box and Pioneer 575 DVD player.

Due to the quality of the Pioneer Plasma, I've been leaning towards them, but after the What Hifi review of the Pio 915 and Denon 1906 had decided to go for Denon.

However, the dealer gave me a super deal on the 1014 which I couldn't refuse, so after a demo I purchased it.

First thing : Built like a brick xxxxhouse, weighs a ton, looks the biz.

Took 2 hours to setup, with component to DVD player and XBOX (MS HiDef).
    Setup full 7.1 speakers to see what DTS ES 6.1, DD EX 5.1 were like.

The MACC setup is ace, saves having to think about anything! Even found that one of the back surround wires had came loose and said ERR!

Stuck my reference CD in and was pretty disappointed with the power to tell the truth. Volume range is -80 to +12 according to the manual, but I could only get it to goto +2. Definately not as loud as the Sony 930 it replaces.

However, this was because the MACC process had limited my front speakers, when I switch to the 5.1 analogue inputs it goes to +12 but didn't take it that far as it got too loud. So its got the grunt.

Back down to sensible levels and it sounded very clear and crisp, not as bright as my Sony was, but not dull either. So musically fine.

I then tried DTS ES 6.1 from Top Gun R1 Collectors Edition. I chose the dogfight at the end and started to notice music being played intermittently from the surround back channels - I'd never noticed this from my 5.1 Sony setup.

Then onto R2 LOTR-TROTK 4-Disc Edition DTS ES6.1. Absolutely amazing picture quality and sound to boot. The bit at the start where Smeagle turns into Gollum is amazing. I listened to these at -20 volume and it really does get loud when there is a lot of action.

The Radio works a treat, tuned in loads of FM channels and they all sound crystal clear through the supplied ariel.

The learning remote knew about my Plasma and DVD player, I tought it the buttons for the Freeview box.

Video switching works a treat, and the OSD comes out over component video too. There is no upsampling from composite to S-Video like the Denon has, but that doesn't bother me, as I only use the 2 component inputs. (Would have been very nice to have 3 for future compatability, I see the 1015 has it).

The 1014 allows you to bi-amp the front speakers, never realised it has this feature. If you have a 5.1 setup you can utilise the surround back amps to achieve this.

It has a 7 channel stereo mode, just like the Denon, sounds good too.

So, I'm more than happy with my purchase, and would suggest to anyone in the market for an AV-Amp to take a look at this 1014 or the never 1015 model (which I've seen online for 363 delivered).

Not poo-pooing Denon by any means as I never auditioned a Denon, although the Pioneer was sitting beside a Denon 2805 and I preferred the look of the Pioneer anyway.

10. GGB

GGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback PDP-434HDE, the Pioneer 1014 / 1015 sounds like a nice receiver.

Anyone got a Denon Avr-2106 yet? If so any chance of hearing your thoughts on it?

11. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my 2106 for the past few weeks. I have to admit this is my first proper av amp so you could argue anything would sound fairly impressive but I am very pleased with the amp so far. The setup is not in a particularly large room and is paired with the canton CD1 package with the front centre upgraded to the cd50. Its worth saying that these speakers really represent an excellent buy for the money (jake powerbuy off these forums).

The thing which struck me with the amp is the clarity of sound and the speed which it can shift from full on explosions to subtle delicate sound and the other way around. At the levels I have listened to so far you get the impression that there is a huge amount of power in reserve and when the scene dictates it can launch into huge dynamics without stress. Sounds which I had never picked out previously can now be heard, separation of sounds is excellent as is the movement from speaker to speaker. There is certainly no hashness to the sound, everything is very natural and lifelike without sounding unreasonably smooth.

the setup using the mic is more or less idiot proof, (it doesnt display the menu through component though so meant a lead to the front of my pv500, this would not be a problem with the right s video to scart for the rear though).

Build quality is excellent, the front facia and controls have a nice solid feel, the remote is slightly messy, not too flimsy but not as solid as some.

12. GGB

GGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the input Gur. Looks like I can't go wrong with either. Will hopefully be getting one of these recievers in a few weeks time.

13. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd get the Denon AVR-2106

Reason is... Pioneer is not that good unless it's Pioneer Elite. The Pioneer you are looking at is top of the line in Pioneer (basic). I'd only recommend anything in the Elite series which would cost a few more dollars.

For the money, the Denon is better. But if you want to spend a few dollars more, you should get the next level up which would be Pioneer Elite.

So before you buy, check out the three models!