Denon 2106 Auto Setp-up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by georgepenny, Oct 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. georgepenny

georgepenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased a Denon 2106 AV amp and am getting mixed opinions on the auto set-up feature. Not tried it yet, but most of the guys at the shop
    seem to think it's more of a gimmick then a good way of setting the amp up?

Your opinions, is the auto set-up route OK or would I be better off getting a sound preasure meter and doing it manually?

Also where can I get a sound preasure meter?

Thanks George

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The auto setup works quite well and the alternative is to obtain a soundmeter and do it manually. In short it is better than doing by ear, but questions about comparing it to manual setting with a soundmeter revolve around reliable readings.

Some have reported speakers when not connected. I maintain that is a fault. Others have issues with phase and size but that can be spotted and changed easily enough. I would suggest using the auto setup and checking the settings after. If they are ok and you are happy with the result then no worries. If not then a sound meter is about £30 and you can do it yourself with total peace of mind.

p.s. A soundmeter can be had on the sale/wanted forums here.

3. georgepenny

georgepenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cable Monkey, thanks for your help.... what your suggesting sounds a good idea, I'll try the auto set-up and take it from there.

Right, I'm off to the for sale forum for a sound meter!