1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2106 - Any good ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonandjen, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thinking of going for the new Denon 2106. Seems that a few of you have recently taken the plunge. Any of you recent purchasers have any views on it ?

Thanks,

jonanadjen :thumbsup:

2. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Should have mine by Monday so will let you know how it is.

Cheers.

3. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    thanks GGB,

Cheers :thumbsup:

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bump Bump...also v v interesting to see what you 2106 owners think! My money is in the bank and its just a case of ording now! So is it worth my hard earned cash since the CA 540r is still temping at 1/3 of the price!!

Views, comments wanted! Also where did u guys buy from and what price did u pay!?

Chris

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great amp, movies are a blast!

Music is taken care of with aplomb.

I also have a 3805 and its so close............

Bought mine as a package with a Kef 5005 sub/sat package for £1250, so going off the retail for the Kef, £250 for the amp :)

Speakers and amp really well suited, best kit ive bought in years.

6. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry what do u mean by that , aplomb ???

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
  8. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nice word!

9. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,819
    It looks like the US model has the room EQ as well as the auto speaker setup, anyone know why we're not getting this?

10. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :oops: Wrong amp.

11. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,819
    Hmmm, could be wrong! But I'm sure I have this right. A quick search through Google for the US spec (the US Denon site is being revamped currently), and:

7.1 A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 • Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic IIx decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • DTS ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video • Analog Devices HammerHead, 32 bit floating point DSP processor • 7.1 channel Auto-Setup and Room EQ function with included DENON microphone DM-S205 • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 100 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.08%THD) • Analog Devices 24 bit, 192 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels • True 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • 24 bit, 96 kHz A/D conversion on all Stereo analog inputs (Not EXT. Inputs) • Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250Hz) • Front left and right channel bass and treble control • 3 Assignable component video inputs (100MHz), with On-Screen Display • Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component, with on-screen display • 5 sets composite and "S" video inputs • 5.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) analog inputs for multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio/SACD) • 5/6/7 Channel Stereo • Digitally regulated volume control with .5dB increment adjustments and step range of -80 to +15 • Personal Memory Plus • XM Satellite Radio Ready, Connect and Play Antenna sold seperately • 5 assignable digital inputs (3 Optical, 2 Coaxial) • 1 Optical digital output • 11 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • True 2 Source, 2 Zone functionality with Discrete Power, Source Select and Volume control for each zone • (1)Multi-Zone fixed stereo pre-amp level audio output; or variable level (variable with SRB/Z2 jacks in 5.1 surround mode) • 7.1 Preamp outputs • Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive Zone 2 speakers directly or Bi-Amp Front Left and Right channels • On-Screen Display • Pre-programmed Glow Key remote • 2 Assignable +12 volt, 250mA Trigger outputs • RS-232C port for third party control systems • Remote I/O ports • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 6.7"h x 16.4"d • SRP $699

This from http://www.prisjakt.nu/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t101809.html which has some English bits buried in there...! But I'm still interested in this amp, would like to hear any feedback from new owners.

12. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got mine on Monday and I have to say it's superb.

Hearing sounds and details I never knew were there.

Excellent for both films and music.

13. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where did u get it from mate, i`m lookin to order one, but i need to find the best price since its over my budget as it is!

14. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Best price I found was a www. petertyson .co.uk

G

15. GGB

GGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought it from this site:

http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/

Just noticed though that they have bumped up the price a fair amount. They now have it for £450, I got it for £377. Looks like Pete Tyson's your best bet, they must have dropped the price in the last week or so.

16. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, my mind is set!! I`m gonna order online asap! 2106 it is!

www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk is way too expensive!!

Pete Tyson's looks like its out of stock since you cant add it to your shopping basket!!! :(

Where to next? £350 is perfect!!! :)

Chris

17. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You have to phone and request that they become your preferred Denon supplier as you've fallen out with your local dealer.....Denon trying to protect distribution channels.

G

18. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi way hifi in edgeware rd are about 360 quid, they also have an online side, picked mine up from their shop though.

Great amp and well worth the money.

19. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just rang up a local shop practicaLHIFI who had them in, but not wired up yet to demo!

They said it was £450 but said they could do it for 395. I told them i had seen it for £350 in Peter tyson in the link above but they said they aren`t an offical dealer and i wont get the same 3 year guarantee i would with them.

Is this true and am i best paying the extra, or do i have the right to try and knock them down to the £350 i really so desperately want!

They said i could also book in a demo as long as i`m serious about buying from them!!!!

I really really dont know what to do! I feel like i`m paying over the odds at 395 especially since its WELL over my origonal £250 (CA 540r) budget!!! Yet i really want the amp...you recon its worth asking them to knock it to 350 or just get it from petertyson...but obviously i got postage on that!!!

HELP how should i approach this.....if i had loads of cash i`d just buy the damn thing, its just i really need to save the extra for some decent speakers!

Chris

20. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have demoed it there right away, compare it with some other receivers and see if it's worth it for you....all this hassle for 45 pounds (and that's also without postage...)???

21. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sound a bit snotty to me, offer them £350 without demo and see what they say, if they wont ,buy it elsewhere for £350.

There seems to be a policy of mail order no no with denon, ring round, retailers are'nt exactly doing great at the moment so you will be ok at £350 :)

You wont need a demo, its a fine amp, buy the right speakers, sit back and enjoy.

22. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, on the phone could get them to £375 :( arranged to come down, got there at 4pm and they had closed!! gutted lol, guess i should have checked! ahh well, next week now!

23. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    anyone paired this amp up with the Keff Eggs 2.5 ?

I am considering this amp to replace my crappy Sherwood!

TIA

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You can demo only if you'll buy it, what if youi don't like it? That is not the right attitude and denon do seem to be trying to do over here what they have in america were only only dealer can sell them and the price is fixed (illegal over here me thinks and if its not it should be) otherwise you get no warranty at all (again illegal, but I suppose you'd have to get your support from your retailer and not denon).

If you really want it get it from peter tyson try it in your home for a few days which is your right under distance selling and if you don't think its worth the money send it back, although you'll have to pay for the return postage and it'd still be cheaper from that other shop anyway when you factor in whatever risk of cost by sending it back.

25. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just out of interest, I have a Denon 2105 and I'd be interested to know how the new model has been improved?

26. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well just wanna say CHEERS GUYS! i picked up my Denon 2106 today and i have to say after the demo i was totally blown away! What a GREAT system, i was demoing it with Evo3s and the stereo sound was great for music! I just cant wait to hear it with rears where apparently it truely comes into its own! With regards to price, i decided to give up with £375 since i was late for my demo and they were really helpful and gave me a full demo!

Just got to choose some speakers, Cd player, DVD player and cables and i can use it :(

Sat in the cuboard at the moment!! :-(

27. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh I have had 2 of these and they have both blown up.
    So what is the diff?