Denon 2106 12v Trigger Help

N42

Ok guys I have got a new plan of which I need your help.

I need to add some cooling to my set up. I have a Denon 2106 amp which as a 12v DC trigger.
Can anyone shed any light as to how I connect a pair of cooling fans to these outputs?

philvella

Ok guys I have got a new plan of which I need your help.

I need to add some cooling to my set up. I have a Denon 2106 amp which as a 12v DC trigger.
Can anyone shed any light as to how I connect a pair of cooling fans to these outputs?

I've been looking to do something similar with a Yamaha 1065. A bit of internet searching has told me that the trigger isn't suitable for powering fans directly - the amps normally just send a pulse that can be used to turn on a power amp or other equipment.

The suggested approaches are either to:
1) use the aux power output on the back of your amp (if you have one - I don't) to power a small transformer to which you attach the fans (suggestion is to use an old phone charger or PC power supply);

2) get busy with a soldering iron and use the trigger pulse to turn on a relay that controls a 240V supply to the fans / transformer etc.; or

3) Use one of those power supplys that turns everything off when not in use. From what I understand that amp is plugged into the master socket and everything else is in the other sockets. When the amp is turned on/off so are the other sockets. This could be used to control a fan.

I've not worked out which is the best option yet so also need some advice!

N42

OK guys been giving this a more serious thought.

I was scouring the net and found one of these:

Temperature Activated Switch Kit : TR Kits : Maplin

I was wandering if I could use a Nokia mobile phone charger (presuming its 12v) wired directly to a
Temperature activated switch (link above), then wired directly to a 12v pc fan.

Would this set up work, thus the fan kickin in as and when required?

mossym

Distinguished Member
OK guys been giving this a more serious thought.

I was scouring the net and found one of these:

Temperature Activated Switch Kit : TR Kits : Maplin

I was wandering if I could use a Nokia mobile phone charger (presuming its 12v) wired directly to a
Temperature activated switch (link above), then wired directly to a 12v pc fan.

Would this set up work, thus the fan kickin in as and when required?

assuming the nokia supply is 12v should work fine

do not use the trigger output on the amp, even if it did stay on all the time it will NOT have the current necessary to drive a fan

N42

No probs mossym, I've now ditched the amp 12v trigger route, will investigate the nokia charger voltage supply to confirm the correct output voltage.

N42

mossym

Distinguished Member
Will have to ditch the nokia charger route, as its says 'Output DC 5V'

Probably the next best thing is probably a AC/DC Universal Adapter, see below:

AC/AC Multi-Voltage 1000mA Power Supply : AC/AC Power Supplies : Maplin

that should be fine, the following question is on the page, so lookes lik e1A should be loads

Hi I was planning on using this switch to power 2 cooling fans with a combined current draw of 0.36A. can you tell me if the switch itseft has a current draw (i have a 12v 400mA DC adaptor and wasn't sure if this would have enough power to run both fans and the Thermistor.) Best regards - Shaun

Answer- Yes the product should support that.

N42

Good stuff, I'll start scouring ebay to see if I can get the stuff any cheaper.

Anyone recommend any suitable silent fans?

philvella

Keep us updated with how you get on...

N42

No probs will do so.

N42

philvella

N42

Yes in theory, just have to see when I knock it all together if it all works as planned.

N42

The fans have arrived,

Picked up the Temperature Activated Switch from Maplins, but its in kit form, meaning I will have to do some solderin work, so more work to add to the mix, haven't really soldered before so should be good fun.

Ade

3) Use one of those power supplys that turns everything off when not in use. From what I understand that amp is plugged into the master socket and everything else is in the other sockets. When the amp is turned on/off so are the other sockets. This could be used to control a fan.

Funnily enough, just tried this and it worked fine (without a temp activated switch).
I just used a 12V 120mm computer fan, connected to a 4.5V mobile phone charger - so it runs about half speed, which is absolutely silent even with the amp on mute!
Used an E-on powerdown adapter (1 master + 2 peripheral sockets) so when the amp is put into standby or off, the fan stops :) and vice versa obviously!

My fan is on top of my amp at the back (my amp's in a cabinet) and is blowing outwards. Amp is so much cooler now....

N42

Well I tried my soldering skills on the Switch kit and it did not fare well. The led did switch on but does not give any voltage at the fan connection end. I'm gonna give it another shot with another kit and if I get no result, I'll try the same route as Ade with the power down socket route.

I'll connect the Fan, so when the Denon amp turns on so does the fan.

N42

Tried another Temp activated Switch from Maplins, and that didn't work either. So will have to look at another approach.

Also Ade do you have the normal Eon Powerdown or the TV version with the IR sensor?

N42

Well thanks alot guys, for what you might ask, well for telling me I can use the AC outlet from the Denon amp to get 230v, which I used to power the 12v adapter, Only found out whilst I was half way though routing all the wires and what not. At least its done and running ;)

Ade

Well thanks alot guys, for what you might ask, well for telling me I can use the AC outlet from the Denon amp to get 230v, which I used to power the 12v adapter, Only found out whilst I was half way though routing all the wires and what not. At least its done and running ;)

you have an AC out???? so much easier .....
I thought all UK sold amps didn't allow that 240v passthrough any more (or is that jsut pc monitors)!

N42

Yes it was so much easier using the AC outlet, Th emulti adapter did not fit in the bay so had to use a normal 12v power unit.

I now need to drop the power from 12v to 7, been looking into Zener diodes to do this, but need confirmation what type of resistor to use.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom