1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2105 or Marantz SR7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wombar, Jan 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi All,

Which is likely to be the better amp for my needs?

It's primarily going to be used for listening to music but I would like be able to watch movies in 5.1. I'd say there's a 80/20 split between music and movies.

I like the look of the Denon because my dad has a 3805 which seems to be pretty good and I really like the autosetup facility. However, I've heard the SR7400 is more "musical" and as it's about to be replaced, I'll probably get more features for about the same money as the Denon.

I don't have any speakers yet, but I'll most likely go with the £500 Wharfedale 5.1 set.

So, anyone care to venture an opinion?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    No auto setup on the Marantz but otherwise i've heard it's realy on par with something like the 2805/3805, was around that price braket when it first came out. It doesn't have all the latest codecs but musicaly it would serve you better than denon.
    Also that it can be had for £350 doesn't hurt either!

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    To be honest, the only missing thing is the auto setup, it has all the other codecs needed, right down to Dolby Pro Logic IIx. It doesn't have the newer DTS matrix codec though, but I don't think that is a great loss.

It can do:
    DTS
    DTS:ES
    DTS:EX
    DD
    DD:EX
    DD + DPLIIx
    DPLIIx
    DTS: Neo
    SRS:CS

And I think that just about covers all bases. Great little amp, and at £350, it is an absolute bargain.

4. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you forgot DTS 96/24 ;)

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    LOL! I knew I'd forget at least one LOL!

6. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks a lot for your replies.

I knew it looked like a decent receiver, but I didn't want to scupper myself and find out it was missing some majorly important feature. Although the auto setup is very nice, I'm pretty sure I manage it myself.

Just out of interest, what kind of features are there on this model for changing the way the music sounds?

I'll be getting this receiver to do lots of things including driving a pair of monitor speakers for mixing my bands music on. I need to get a nice clean sound where none of the frequencies are artificially enhanced. Basically I need to bypass any artificial enhancements etc and hear how the music really sounds. Is there a bypass feature similar to the Yamaha 750?

Anyway, I suspect that this is going to be the amp to go for even tho it's just about to be replaced with a new model. That way I get more for my money.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Yup, you'll want the "Pure Direct" mode.

Receiver's of this type will all add something to the sound of the music though. The only thing that's really good for mixing music is a proper set of professional active monitors so you'll have to accept it as something of a compromise. I think you'll find that your choice of speaker will have more effect on the frequency response than the receiver though.

8. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm still in the process of deciding whether to go for active monitors or the Marantz. I get a LOT more for my money going for the Marantz and a 5.1 setup(Wharfedale HCP etc) but active monitors like the Mackie HR824's are made to mix on. Basically I'm going to listen to the 824's at the end of the week, I've listened to them once already but not since I've been listening to some home theatre stuff.

I suspect that in the end I'll get the Marantz and some passive studio monitors in the not too distant future. As long as the sound is clear and not artificially loaded with effects, whatever I get is going to be okay for monitoring. I'll have to learn whatever speakers I mix on anyway, so I figure I might as well get something that can be used all day for casual listening and for movies as well.

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I shouldn't worry to much about, any effects being induced by the maratz. You just have to turn the DSP's off, i.e. have a strait stero reproduction and it will sound great.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The marantz sound is a very clear, a tad on the warm side of neutral, which is my personal preference. The amps inside the SR7400 are very solid, so you could save yourself quite a bit of money and go for the passive monitors in my opinion. The Marantz doesn't go the Yamaha route with a billion DSP modes, in pure direct mode (and indeed, the bypass mode on the Yammy 750), you will get practically zero modification on the signal.

I also personally prefer the Marantz SR7400 DACS rather than those in my Marantz CD5400, quality stuff :D

11. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Sounds like we may be onto a winner here. :clap:

I'll make my mind up on Friday once I've heard some monitors in person, but as long as the amp isn't going to exaggerate different frequencies too much I think it's got to be the winning solution.

Having looked at the prices for passive monitors, I think it's got to be the best solution. Active monitors tend to cost about 40-50% more than their passive equivalents, so if I spend £300 on passives, I should be getting a nice combination.

Apart from anything I'd love to have a go at mixing my band in 5.1 :D

Well, now all I need to do is try and get an idea of the 5.1 set I should look at. I don't want a satellite type affair because I've got a set of those already and find them distinctly lacking in most areas.

I was looking at the Wharfedale HCP(£500 one) but would love to hear other suggestions. Cheers guys

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Kazman:

But you should try a marantz CD7300 with a SR7400, it outperforms the 7400 DACS!

Advice:
    If you are towards music go for the Marantz range, the 7400 now is a bargain. If you need extra features just take a look at the Marantz 5500.

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One thing it doesn't appear to have is any lip-sync correction... :confused:

14. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 5500 has lyp sync, 7400 or 2105 don't have...

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    SR7500 does have as well....but we are talking about £350 here LOL! :D :devil: I'm tempted to buy a second and bi-amp everything :devil:

16. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    What situations am I likely to need lip sync? I'm pretty new to home cinema, but the only time I've seen my dads 3805 go out of sync is on sky sports.

I've got to find a set of speaker to go with the 7400 for about £500, does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any space for floorstanders so it'll have to be 4 bookshelfs, a centre and a sub. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have never experienced it, but some people who have plasmas or front projection systems complain about it, doesn't effect everyone, and is a bit of an anomoly in most circumstances. But, I can see it being incredibly annoying to those that do have it :).

18. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yeah it's a bit strange that it's only sky sports. I just hope I don't have a similar problem. I'm gonna be using this with my pc and my recording device(MOTU 896HD in case you're interested) so I hope there won't be too many problems.

Just out of interest, the speakers I'm looking at are meant to be rated at 50W but this amp gives out 110 watts per channel. Is this okay or should I be looking for more powerful speakers etc. I just don't want to blow the speakers if I'm going to be spending over £300 on them.

Cheers

19. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Mainly with Plasmas and LCD image processing delay I think...

20. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Wharfdale speakers should be fine, but the Marantz can drive much better speakers.

I would say the Mordaunt Short Avant system may suit you better. Goes well with the SR7400 too.

21. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Cheers for the tip about the Mordaunt's.

Any ideas where the best place to get them might be? I've found what looks like a decent deal at Peter Tyson but I just thought I'd ask. I think its the premiere plus version but they don't have the set in black which would be my preference.

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Peter Tyson have a good reputation, get on the blower to them and they might haggle too :).

I use AV Land quite a bit, and they have never let me down, also willing to haggle, fantastic service.

www.avland.co.uk

Black might be very hard to get hold of, no harm in asking them I guess though :)

You could try to PM Tons Of Fun, he works for Mordaunt Short, so may be able to give you a better insight on the black models.

23. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks a lot. It's nice to know that someone else has bought from these people before and not had problems, you never really know until you've given someone your credit card details.

I'll get on the phone to them and see what they say, I'm not desperate for black but it would be my first choice. I'll let you know how I get on.

24. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Okay, I've just realised that the premiere plus is a satellite/sub system. Is this going to give me the quality that I need? I'm sure they're great speakers but for about another £140 I can get the full size 900 series. Unfortunately I don't have space for floor standers, but I do have space for bookshelfs.

I've got a creative set of satellites/sub at the moment and although they're okay for general listening, they lack the overall detail I'm looking for. I'm sure the mordaunt premiere plus is a very good set, but if I spent £650 I can get a full set of 900 speakers I think.

What are the Acoustic Energy sets like?

At the end of the day I don't want to spend ££££'s but neither do I want to skimp now only to regret it later. If you had £700 to spend on speakers, what would you buy?

25. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Acoustic energy speakers are very good, personally it would be a toss up between the full sized 900 series and the Acoustic Energy Evo 3b package.

Marantz are the official distributors of Mordaunt Short in Europe, and hence do a lot of testing and tuning with Mordaunt Short gear too. I used to run Mordaunt Short MS914s, MS905C and MS903's before through the SR7400, and it sounded great.

The main difference between the AE and MS speakers are their degree of warmth, the AE speakers are a brighter than the MS ones. It depends on what kind of sound you prefer. If you like warmth, then the Mordaunt Shorts (they do need a long running in period though), if you like your sound a bit brighter than neutral, the AE's should be in your basket :) Hope this helps.

26. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm definitely leaning more towards the Mordaunts, I prefer a slightly warmer sound when listening to music.

This system needs to be something I can listen to 24/7 because I work at home 3 days a week, my brain needs to be kept occupied while I get on with my work:)

Just out of interest, should I be looking at the bipolar Mordaunts(905s?) or just stick with the normal bookshelfs. As this setup is going onto my desk, the front speakers will probably end up being about 4ft apart, and around 5ft away from me, same at the rear because I have a desk/cabinet of similar size behind me. I don't know if that makes sense, I can always do a quick diagram if that would help.

Last question, I promise:)

Why would I need stands for the speakers? I just ask because I've seen some stands that only raise the speaker 5", what benefits are there to getting stands over just plonking them on my desk.

27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Depends on if you are going to be listening to more multi channel music than movies. If you are going to listen to more music, then maybe the MS902's would be better, if it is an even split or more towards movies, then the bipolar MS903's would be better :).

Stand also act as an isolation platform, so the sound coming from the speakers is not distorted in any way and vibrations do not affect the finshed product. A decent pair of stands is a must if you want to listen to sounds being unaffected by the environment they are placed on.

28. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well it's probably going to be 70/30 towards music. I watch quite a few films, but pretty much 99% of the time I'm not watching movies I'm listening to music.

Are there any disadvantages to the bipolars? If not then I'll just get them, if there might be a slight disadvantage for music I'll just get the normal ones.

I'll probably get some stands at some point, but I'll see. Thanks very much for your help so far, it's much appreciated.

29. gremlin91

gremlin91
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi
    I'm in the market for some kit too and today got to hear a Marantz SR6300 with the Diamond 5.1 hcp speaker pack. For stereo it was horrible, very boxy. Then the diamond 9.1 were put on and the difference was amazing, I was also listening to a Denon 1905 and the Marantz far outstripped it, I loved the sound of the Marantz. I assume the 7400 will have the same sound quality, only better. Is the 6300 woth having at £275 or shall I just go straight to the 7400 at £350?
    Are there speakers that will be bether than the diamond 9.1?

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The SR7400 is definitely worth the extra over the SR6300, it is a generation newer, and its amps are more solid and efficient. If you liked the way the SR6300 sounds, then the SR7400 should bring an even larger smile to your face :D

The Diamond 9.1's are a much better speaker than the 9.0's in the diamond 5.1 hcp, so not surprised you heard such an improvement.