Denon 2021 mainstream x800 AVR's... due soon?

Richdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I find it very odd that there are absolutely no news or not even any rumours surrounding new 2021 mainstream AVR's (2800 3800, 4800). I was really hoping they would be announced this month as I am due an upgrade to my ageing X1200 and have been thus far patiently waiting for the new and fixed HDMI 2.1 boards before upgrading.

Do we think that there will be any news or announcements before September 2021? :)

Hi,
By the lack of any sort of announcement, it appears that they have decided on a 2 year cycle. Looks like people had started to review the 2700/3700 around the end of June 2020 so seeing as we're at the end of July without a whisper I doubt they'll announce them. Very disappointing. I think it has a bit to do with lack of chips and a bit to do with the 2.1 problem. I'm certain I did read something official somewhere stating this but cannot find it anymore.

Not sure if you are aware but I also read that all new receivers from Denon/Marantz that were built from June 2021 should have the new chip so you will avoid having to plugin the horrible adapter they've made for older versions.

With all of this said I really hope I'm wrong because I am also looking for a new receiver but am not thrilled about paying above RRP for a receiver that is over a year old..

I wonder, if someone is keen with a soldering iron, if you depowered internal amps yourself the AVR would bring up an error and not work, or would it not care?

But back to the thread, this year's progress has been discussed in a few threads so far already. Some people should next month be receiving AVRs (xX700) and be able to report back on whether they have the proper HDMI functions internally.

Hi guys. I find it very odd that there are absolutely no news or not even any rumours surrounding new 2021 mainstream AVR's (2800 3800, 4800). I was really hoping they would be announced this month as I am due an upgrade to my ageing X1200 and have been thus far patiently waiting for the new and fixed HDMI 2.1 boards before upgrading.

Do we think that there will be any news or announcements before September 2021? :)
Perhaps it's got something to do with a global pandemic.

See link here and a few posts before it, it appears that fully functional HDMI units are now being supplied:

But I assume you still don't have a guarantee when ordering; unless you can confirm it with the retailer.

Always seem to have issues, I was going to get Denon 3600 but it was out of production pretty quickly, then heard 3700 would have all channel pre amp mode which I'm going to use, then HDMI 2.1 bug, and now Dolby rear channel bleed. arrgh

Yeah but at least it's good news on the HDMI front.

They say they're going to fix the bleed this Autumn. We'll see.

Fingers crossed it will be early '22 all will be fixed and the x3700, 4700, 6700 will be starting to be discounted too.

I also like the xX700 feature where it can switch between presets for amp assign, speakers, Audyssey etc. it means (if you want for example) you could have a full pre-amp arrangement on one preset and use internal amplifiers on the other.

Could be useful with rising energy prices! I'd consider having a few extra speakers and just one sub powered up as a "normal TV" preset on internal amps, then power up external amp and extra subwoofer for "proper programmes and films".

For what it helps in your decision; the 4k 120hz/8k 60hz HDMI 2.1 issue in the chipset is fixed if you order a new Denon or Marantz 2020 model. I own a SR6015 ordered in July, and it contains the fixed chipset without needing the external adapter to fix it. Just make sure to order a new one, not one that was in some distribution center for a few months.

For what it helps in your decision; the 4k 120hz/8k 60hz HDMI 2.1 issue in the chipset is fixed if you order a new Denon or Marantz 2020 model. I own a SR6015 ordered in July, and it contains the fixed chipset without needing the external adapter to fix it. Just make sure to order a new one, not one that was in some distribution center for a few months.
Whether you get a unit that has the new board already installed depends upon when it was manufactured:

So, the obvious question for consumers ready to upgrade their AV setup with the latest Denon or Marantz AVR/Amps is, how do you tell whether the black/silver box sitting on the retailer’s shelf requires the hardware adaptor or is already bug free? Well, Forbes reports that Sound United has confirmed that models with the serial number *******70001 onwards are from the latest production runs (i.e. May 2021 onwards) and will therefore already be HDMI 2.1 bug free.

That number to look for again: *******70001 onwards.

Of course, if you’re buying online, checking the serial number might not be that straightforward and this is another great example of why having AV hardware on sale in bricks and mortar stores, run by friendly and knowledgeable staff is so important.

Correct; so you could go to a certified Marantz dealer, and ask if they can order one new from Marantz for you? (or Denon if you like)

Maybe quicker for them to look on the label on the box and see what the serial number is? The units they have may already be ones that have the revised board. The serial number is on the outside of the box so no need to even open it in order to find out.

If a retailer requests more stock then Sound United will just send them whatever is available.The retailer doesn't get to pick and chose what is deliverd to them.

I just noticed that the AVR-X4700H is no longer listed on Denon's website. I called the sales phone number and they confirmed that it had been discontinued. Do you think that Denon is about to announce a X4800? Anyone heard anything?

Edit: Please disregard this. I just noticed that it is back on-line today. The one thing that I have learned over the past 24 hours is that Denon's internal sales team and technical support staff do not communicate well with whoever runs their web site. :)

Last edited:
Back to the thread topic on this one... has anyone heard anything on a new AVC-Xx800 line up yet?

Back to the thread topic on this one... has anyone heard anything on a new AVC-Xx800 line up yet?

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting, I believe at least since the introduction of the X-series, that's the first inclusion of a clock display. Nice feature actually.

Does it still have a full set of pre-outs round the back?

This is interesting, has anyone seen any information on which D&M products this will be available for?

This is interesting, has anyone seen any information on which D&M products this will be available for?

Sound United and Audyssey apparetly talk about MultEQ-X in this interview:

MultEQ-X first mentioned at 13min:30sec, then at 36min:30sec, then at 41min:30sec

Last edited:
Anything more on the *800 series? I’m thinking this might be a pretty poor time to buy an x4700 receiver with only a few month from the 2 year cycle…especially with the crazy high prices they’re currently selling at.

I don't know anything concrete. Worth noting though that they tend to have longer lifecycles the further you go up in the model tiers.

So, for example, the 4000 series and the 6000 series jumped from 4500/6500 to 4700/6700. There were no x600 models.

So, I would say chances are more likely at seeing next x2800 and/or x3800 but may be longer before 4000 and upwards models get a revamp.

I hope some announcement is coming end of this month or in July... really need to change mine but buying the 2 years old model at current prices pisses me off a bit.

They’ve come down a bit now. The 3700 is a pretty standard £975 (RS has + £50 off cables) but I agree, even this is too high. We’ve come out of the pandemic now, they’re over 2 years old, they have inferior DACs compared to the original ones and the cost of living has gone up immensely. I would be surprised if they don’t go down further.
The 4700 is seeing a bit more movement on the ex display front - usually around £250-£300 off compared to the 3700 which only sees around £50 off.
The 2700 is £600 but one of the models selected for a 10% discount for people in certain jobs plus the £50 cable offer and suddenly it’s £490, assuming you need cables.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom