Denon, 2 displays 1 is 4k 1 isn’t ?

rdundas

I am considering upgrading my tv to a 4k model, but I can’t afford to upgrade my projector. If I upgrade to a Denon x2700 receiver and a 4k tv and have my sky and Blu-ray player set to 4k output, can I set the Denon to output the 4k hdr signal to the 4k tv, on output 1and a 1080p image to my projector On output 2 (not at the same time)

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd be advised to turn the output associated with the display you aren't using off. If you don't then the source will use the EDID of the least capable of the 2 to determine what it outputs. This means that even the output connected to the 4K TV will only be getting 1080p as long as the source detects the presence of the 1080p projector. HDMI displays and projectors even broadcasts their EDID to other devices in the HDMI chain while in standby. THe best way around this is to either go into the AV receiver's setting and turn the output associated with the display not being used off or turn that device off at the mains while not in use.

Note that Denon don't include buttons on their IR remotes to switch and or turn off the HDMI outputs, but you can setup QUICK SELECT scenes that include such settings.

Last edited:

rdundas

Sounds too much of a faff. I have a radiance scaler before the pj. I only make changes that I know my wife could also operate, and switching hardware on or off or switching off outputs when there’s no button, just too complicated, so I just won’t upgrade the TV. Thanks for the advice

rdundas

Ok, so your saying I can make one of the quick select buttons, turn off output 1 and another quick button turn off hdmi 2 and the other quick buttons to turn the outputs on? Then I can build them into activities on my harmony?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ok, so your saying I can make one of the quick select buttons, turn off output 1 and another quick button turn off hdmi 2 and the other quick buttons to turn the outputs on? Then I can build them into activities on my harmony?

Yes, that is what most people do.

Yamaha AV receivers are a bit better and those that do include more than one output also include an HDMI output button on their remotes. Denon and Marantz make things a bit more complicated by not doing likewise.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom