Denon 1940

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nikonuser11, Jan 20, 2008.

1. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I got a Denon 1940, great reviews but the picture is a bit grainy and blocky, I see NO difference in 720, 1080i, 1080p, in fact my old dvd player on a 10 year old panny looks better.
    I'm plating it with ixus hdmi cable on a Toshiba 37X3030.

any ideas or is this actually picture quality what we punters get and not what we 'see' in store?

2. gblades

gblades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have mine linked up to a Sony KVL-40V3000 and I am very happy with the DVD player. I have found that some DVDs are better quality than others.
    For example the harry potter and the order of the phoenix at the start of the 2nd or 3rd chapter when they sit down at the table and scroll across and one of them starts pulling faces. This is very badly encoded but if I turn the HDMI output down to 568 (or whatever it is) so that the HDMI output is standard DVD resolution and let the TV upscale then the picture is even worse.

I dont see how this could be caused by a DVD player if you are using the HDMI output as it is all digital. The DVD player would have to have a fault in the way that it decoded the DVD.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Maybe your HDMI cable is failing. If you're seeing block and grain or sparklies as they are known with HDMI cables, then try another one.

4. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    brand new ixus 80 pound cable, thanks anyway

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    In this thread earlier this morning you said it was a 37Z3030..quite a difference in price there.
    Its an Ixos cable by the way. I thought you had just made a typo,but you keep calling it Ixus. :)

I still think it is down to your settings..they can make a really big difference. And if its not that...you have a problem with your tv.

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If you paid £80 for a cable you were well and truly ripped off. They are all the same.:hiya:

I went through two DVD players before I realised it was the HDMI cable at fault. But, your funeral.

If it's not that, then as mentioned it's likely you haven't set up your display properly and are using the factory settings.

7. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Thanks ron240, yes its a Z3030, my typo and thanks for pointing out its ixos and not ixus who are a gay dating agency on the island of Kos, could have been embarrasing, tried all the various settings and no luck

8. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I'm sure many people here will disagree with you on that one, a pc world Logic 1.8 meter £14.90 hdmi cable is equal to an IXUS pro at £80?:nono:

and with regards to settings, rather than state the obvious why not help and state how to set up the display properly as this forum is all about help and sharing. It's a crazy idea I know but it might just work;);):smashin:

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Nobody would disagree, at that length. Sorry, you were robbed.

10. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tommy, no point in been nasty mate. That is what an info sharing forum is all about, is it not?

Firstly yes, £80.00 is expensive for an HDMi cable that fundamentaly regardless of manufacture or design simply passes binary information from one end to the other. And especially paying £80.00 for one made by IXOS/IXUS is an expensive mistake. However if you are not AV savvy which many people outside of this forum or new to it are not then many high street stores seem to have carte blanche on ripping unsuspecting customers off!

Secondly if you yourself Tommy went through two DVD players before realising it was the HDMI cable, you have surely contradicted yourself!

And also there are different HDMI cables with only some supporting the new 1.3HDMI format. :lesson:

As for display / factory settings, not sure if this would be too relevant on a 10 year old TV.

I have experimented with HDMI cables, and this forum led me to Mark Grant Cables that were the best I have used and very reasonably priced. www.markgrantcables.co.uk

Finally I suppose it proves one thing, don't believe everything you read in various Hi-Fi magazines. Audition before you buy. :thumbsup:

11. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    as I thought, tommyvendetti has no idea either, well done tommy for entering into the spirit of an info sharing forum, NOT!

12. nikonuser11

nikonuser11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    it's a brand new Toshiba 37Z3030 Ambulance andy. Thanks for your reply and alerting Tommy to what a forum actually does, hope he doesnt get that trype of reply to one of his posts! pffft!!

13. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    You should not to be so dismissive of the advice you are given. Look in my profile. Look at the amount of thanks I've received due to my posts helping people,that's 58 more thanks than my dear friend Ambulance Andy as well. If you took my post the wrong way there's nothing I can do about it.

No, because the point I was making is that a needlessly expensive cable can stop working just like a average priced one.

14. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok Tommy I see your point mate. No hard feelings? :)

15. avfr3ak

avfr3ak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You might want to try the Scart or the component out with just 576i - sometimes it produces the best result. There are problems with hdmi inputs with some players, although haven´t heard about any with this one. Also there has been reported problems with some Samsung tv´s and this player.