Denon 1930 Upscaling Question...

johnmerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
i have just attached my Denon 1930 to my Pio 4280 via hdmi.

how do i get the denon to output to 1080p? i can't see it in any menu?

thanks.

On the 1920, there is a button on the front of the player that allows you to switch the HDMI resolution. I'm guessing this is the case with the 1930 too ?!
This is explained in the owners manual.

This is correct. You should also have two buttons on the remote for HDMI settings. The format button changes the resolution

This is correct. You should also have two buttons on the remote for HDMI settings. The format button changes the resolution

Thanks again.

i tried it all last night and decided that upscaling does nothing for me. the lower resolution always seems more natural.

That screen isn't a 1080p set.:confused:

That screen isn't a 1080p set.:confused:

It is even worse :(.
John, do you own the Pioneer Kuro PDP-4280HD 42 inch Plasma Screen?
This model has a native resolution of 1024x768. This is no HD resolution.
For a proper upscaling without double processing you need either 1280x720 (720i/p) which no TV set has or 1920x1080 (1080i/p) from the more expensive panels.

I am sorry but your TV will (back)-scale any input to its native resolution.
Whatever good job your Denon will do will be downgraded by the downscaling of the TV.
Best will be to use the de-interlacer of the Denon and send a 576p (PAL) or 480p (NTSC) signal. Maybe the smaller Denons have an 'auto' mode? Then this will be your best option.

It is even worse :(.
John, do you own the Pioneer Kuro PDP-4280HD 42 inch Plasma Screen?
This model has a native resolution of 1024x768. This is no HD resolution.
For a proper upscaling without double processing you need either 1280x720 (720i/p) which no TV set has or 1920x1080 (1080i/p) from the more expensive panels.

I am sorry but your TV will (back)-scale any input to its native resolution.
Whatever good job your Denon will do will be downgraded by the downscaling of the TV.
Best will be to use the de-interlacer of the Denon and send a 576p (PAL) or 480p (NTSC) signal. Maybe the smaller Denons have an 'auto' mode? Then this will be your best option.

thanks. it says it accepts a 1080p signal and displays it when the input is accessed.

you must be right because the lower signals look much sharper. 1080i looked the best out of the 3 upscaled but it wasn't enough for my eyes.

happy anyway!

It might accept a 1080P input, but the electronics will have to scale it back down to native (1024x768)

I was going to ask the same question of the Denon 1940. Is the Panasonic PX70 plasma 1080 compatible? I suspect I know the answer, because so far, I haven't been impressed with the Denon 1940, but this could very well be the reason. :(

Simon, it is not the player. The biggest markting mistake I see is to sell all of these non-HD standard displays and on the other side have all the DVD players upscale to HD resolutions.
Apparently this does not work very well.
I do understand the background because these panels originally were made for computer screens hence the 'strange' HD resolutions but being fully compliant with the VESA standard.

In fact you have two options:
- Go for a solid (non-upscaling) DVD player and let the display do the required convertion
- Spend more money on a true HD display aka 1080p and enjoy a good upscaling.

Simon, it is not the player. The biggest markting mistake I see is to sell all of these non-HD standard displays and on the other side have all the DVD players upscale to HD resolutions.
Apparently this does not work very well.
I do understand the background because these panels originally were made for computer screens hence the 'strange' HD resolutions but being fully compliant with the VESA standard.

In fact you have two options:
- Go for a solid (non-upscaling) DVD player and let the display do the required convertion
- Spend more money on a true HD display aka 1080p and enjoy a good upscaling.

So, of those two options, the best would seem to be to go back to my old Pioneer 656A, which delivered a stunning picture on the Panny panel. Only trouble being, what to do with this new Denon? :confused:

Or you could use a HTPC as DVD playback, that way you can select native as desktop resolution, and within scaling (FFDSHOW)

Or you could use a HTPC as DVD playback, that way you can select native as desktop resolution, and within scaling (FFDSHOW)
Thanks, but I don't think I'll be going down that road any time soon.

The only thing I wouldn't mind getting now is an HD DVD player, but space is a problem, so that's out the window as well for the time being.

hello !!

Before all i'l hope to receive some answers as soon is possible...

so... to get the picture, i have an denon1940 player conected on denon AVR 2308 receiver via hdmi cable and the final signal - out on Samsung LE-40M86 lcd tv full hd with 1920 x 1080 res. conected also with hdmi cable from receiver

The first problem is that - if i push the hdmi button from the front panel of dvd player to increase res on 1080 - 1080p my lcd display - "logo wallpaper" begin flickering (shakiness ) and won't stop until i decrese at 720.
I have to mention that I've setup the receiver on the same 1080 or 1080p res and all the common features with dvd player (the receiver have the same video processing )
... Some people told me that i shold connect my player directly on lcd-tv with hdmi and an optical cable for sound conected on receiver but i don't think if that is the best solution for solve this problem up mentioned. Should be the version of hdmi cable, the main reason ?!? ...as i know i have the latest version - if the cable is not a fake :)

The second problem - as i read from the dvd player manual, the best quality for colors is the xvYCC format wich "lets HDTVs display colors more accurately" than RGB format ... from my point of view, the picture is more realisic coloured , deep with real black nowashed on RGB... even i've setup profile on xvYCC with enhanced for the best black, i've shold correct a lot off brightness and contrast but still with washout black

Thank you for reading me and I hope to find some answers

This model has a native resolution of 1024x768. This is no HD resolution..

If it has 720 or more vertical lines it is HD ;).
-
PS. To OP, The Pioneers scaling is far superior to the Denons, best results would be from feeding it an SD signal.

... Some people told me that i shold connect my player directly on lcd-tv with hdmi and an optical cable for sound conected on receiver but i don't think if that is the best solution for solve this problem up mentioned.

Personally, I have never seen the logic of connecting a visual source via an AV amp, as, to me, it just adds another link in the chain, and increases the chances of something interfering with something else. Have you actually tried what has been suggested to you, and connected the TV direct to the DVD player via the HDMI, and used a separate optical or coax digital cable for the sound? If not, I would recommend you do so, if only for elimination purposes.

Im planning on buying a denon 1940. I was just wondering, as mentioned in this thread about 1024x768 displays and upscaling dvds not having much of an impact in terms of picture quality, how much of a difference would it make say for my panasonic tx32lxd70 display with a native resolution of 1366 x 768. I realize that for the best performance id need a true hd display but for what I have what kind of picture quality can i expect compared to standard definition. (I hope that isnt too confusing,in need of sleep)

If multiregion isn't an issue I'd consider getting an Toshiba EP30 instead. Can be had for the same price, same level of scaling for DVD plus it plays HD-DVDs as well.

Im not really interested in HD dvds yet as im quite happy buying cheaper and more abundant sd dvds. As for the denon 1940 i like some of the features on there. only concern was how much of a difference would it make to the picture quality compared to a cheaper upscaler, and more importantly how much of a difference would i notice with a 1368 x 768 resolution compared to a non upscaling dvd player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom