Denon 1920

james_19742000

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that it has become available I am looking at the Denon 1920 DVd player, but soem advice on how best to wire it all up would be required.

I currently have a Hitachi 42PD5200 and also a Sony DAVS500 DVD player and speaker system, currently the DVd is connected on AV1 via s-video and my Sky box is connected via scart onto AV4, but if I got the Denon 1920, I presume the best connection would be via HDMi to DVI cable, to the DVI input on the panel, then what about the Sky, would that be best connected to the Denon via Scart and then would it run through the DVI port, or would I just run that direct as at the moment direct to the panel via scart? Also, could I use, the surround sound on my Sony and in effect be using the Sony as an amp? If so woudl this need to be connected via the digital ports on teh Denon and Sony, if so what leads would I need, or be best? All gets confusing doesnt it??

The other thing, I presume teh Denon has phono outputs for individual speakers on teh back, which I presume I could hook up a surround system in time to replace the surround on the Sony, if so anyone recommend a suitable set of surround speakers?

All sounds a lot but before the wife will let me splash the cash I need to know what I am doing, also what leads will I need if so can anyone recommend auitable make and price and where best to get them from, teh leads from DVD/Sky etc to panel woudl need to be about 1.5 to 2m long.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Many thanks, James :)

I don't know much about the DAVS500 DVD but I assume it is an all in one package?

If so, the Denon would really replace Sony, and you'd have to get a separate amp. I don't know if you could feed another DVD into the Sony, and I'm pretty sure there are no inputs on the back of the Denon, all outputs.

Depending on the connectors you could use your existing speakers on the Denon, but you would not be able to have your Sky Box going through these speakers.

Theres a lot of questions but I hop I've addressed some on them.

Yes I see what you are saying, but the DAVS500 Sony thing is an all in one system, so my plan was to output from the Denon with a digital optical lead to the digital optical input on the 'video 2' on the Sony, this would in theory give the surround sound via the speakers?? Would I be right, then keep the Sony wired via phono plugs on 'video 1' this way retaining the surround sound on normal TV using the Sony when on video 1, then that way video 2 woudl be for the surround from the Denon, and then video 1 would produce surround sound for normal TV usage, the Denon woudl then produce the DVD film images via the HDMI/DVi port in an upscaled way for DVD play back?? Does this sound right, and any ideas as to whether it woudl work???

Thanks.

That sounds like it would work. The optical out from the Denon to the Sony would give 5.1 yes.

That said you wouldn't really be doing the Denon justice - if you are just using it forthe HDMI/DVI Out. You may be better of getting a cheaper player DVI out player.

Unless this is part of a longer term upgrade path of course. One bit at a time is quite wife friendly I've found!

Indeed, wife friendly, alwasy has to be that way!!!

Long term plan is to get a nice set of 5.1 surround speakers that could link up to the Denon, if thats possible, obviously not a bottomless pit of money, but figuring about £200 for the player and £50-60 for all the leads and then in a year or twos time a set of surround speakers for a couple of hundred maybe, presume that will get a nice set??

Thanks for the help.

James

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom