Denon 1920 Vs Denon 2910

MrR

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my current Sony DVD with either a Denon 1920 or the 2910. It'll be attached to a Sharp 26" LCD - GA5.

Which Denon would you recommend for current LCD and any future changes to LCD or Plasma.

Would the 2910 be worth the extra amount, almost £200 for the HDMI & DVI connections etc.

MrR said:
I'm looking to replace my current Sony DVD with either a Denon 1920 or the 2910. It'll be attached to a Sharp 26" LCD - GA5.

Which Denon would you recommend for current LCD and any future changes to LCD or Plasma.

Would the 2910 be worth the extra amount, almost £200 for the HDMI & DVI connections etc.

The 1920 also has HDMI (1.1 I think), got mine last week. Very pleased with it

hillster can you please comment on the PQ of your 1920??

Can you, by any chance, compare it to the Oppo/BBK?

Thankx!

Spacedog said:
hillster can you please comment on the PQ of your 1920??

Can you, by any chance, compare it to the Oppo/BBK?

Thankx!

I think the picture quality is an improvement over the previous machine, a Samsung HD945. I'm using a wireworld ultraviolet cable to a Pioneer 435XDE (ISF calibrated) if you interested. I watched Blade Trinity (I know) last night, the picture was superb

Not had any experience of using Denon kit before bit it's so far so good, unable to compare to Oppo/BBK unfortuantely.

I have ordered an 1920. Picking it up on Thursday. I will post my comments when i hooked up

Hi.

I have just been browsing and noticed some questions about the differences between the Denon DVD 1920 and 2910.

I have compared them head to head at my local Hi Fi dealer and there is a clear difference between them. Picture quality wise, the 2910 is a fair bit ahead, particularly when using the HDMI output where the picture quality is really noticable. This is probably down to the higher spec Faroudja chip set scaling up the HDMI output on the 2910 and the 12 bit Video DACS in the 2910 compared to the 11 Bit DACS in the 1920. However, differences were less noticable using Progressive Component Outputs but in my view, worth the extra cash. Check out www.superfi.co.uk - they want £510 for the 2910 - saving £90 on the RRP.

The 2910 in my view also had beefier sound. Denon used 24 Bit Burr Brown DACS on each of the sound chanels whereas the the 1920 uses one DAC for the lot. If you are using the Digital Out into an external decoder, this is not an issue but if you are using the deck for the decoding, this could be a consideration.

Unbelievably though, the 1920 will play back DivX discs whereas the 2910 will not. If you plan on downloading heaps of movies off the Net, this could be a big problem.

I was totally blown away by the 2910 and will be going for this one.

Thanks a lot nhart for your post! :thumbsup:

I confess I'm now unshure about what to buy (1920 or 2910)...

Sound wise I could hook it via digital coax to my receiver... BTW, did you hear anything DD/DTS playing through the 6.1 analog outs of the 1920 and 2910?? Or did just tried DD/DTS through digital coax/optical??

Picture wise, can you confirm that the 2910 really makes a difference regarding the HDMI output?? Have you tried the DVI output (do you think it's any different)? Also, what res modes have you tried (576p/720p/1080i)? The video DACs aren't used when you're using the HDMI (digital) output are they? I thought they were only used when you're outputting analog signals from the player (component/SCART/Svideo)...

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Hi Spacedog.

In terms of the sound, I listened to a DD encoded DVD going through the analogue outs. The actual DVD I used for the test was Kill Bill Vol 1 - lots of hard work for sound and video decoders!! I did not bother with the Coax Digital Out as I know more or less what things will sound like when hooked into my Yamaha decoder (although the Denon has far superior sound compared to my ancient Panasonic A360 DVD player - I've been very impressed with the sound). Less jitter and a better transport I suspect are two of the reasons for this. Not all Bit Buckets chuck out the same bistream.

Picture wise, I only watched it in 1080i through the HDMI. I do not have an HDTV ready set so did not spend much time testing it in this mode - I was more concerned for future proofing when I upgrade my TV. My dealer was using a Pioneer PDP-436XDE Plasma and had it all set up and ready to go. We then switched to Component Out which is how I will connect it to my Tosh and spent more time watching this way. My Tosh can only handle 576p max so viewing was done in this mode so I could get a better idea of how things would look when I got the machine home.

But importantly, I watched both Denon machines the same way and I can honestly say both my dealer and I agreed the 2910 was better through the HDMI and Component Out.

You are quite right about the DACS. My mistake. I was referring to the Component Outs not the HDMI. A case of typing faster than my brain!! I did not try the DVI Output though.

If you have a decent Hi Fi dealer in your neck of the woods, I really would audition both machines before buying. What TV will you mhoook your DVD player into?

NH

Thank you again for your views nhart!

I have a new Sony V32 HD-Ready LCD and I'm returning my Cambridge Audio DVD79 player because of its various problems, including not working in 1080i (which is the one that bothers me the most). The DVD79 as FLI2310 so I'm affraid with possibility that I will "downgrade" if I buy the Denon 1920 which has FLI2301 (I don't know really). I'm still unshure...

I also looked at the Pioneers. Can get a very good deal for the 668 but don't know if it upscales or is any good compared to the Denon 2910...

I just know I need to get a (good!) player soon :D

Strange! I went thoroughly through the 2 product briefs from Genesis Microchips concerning the specs of both FLI2301 and FLI2310 and could not find nothing showing that the FLI2310 has better specs than the FLI2301 (I read the all thing :) ) In fact, it seems like the FLI2301 is the one indicated for HDTVs and in fact it seems like the FLI2301 is "the FLI2310 + some features regarding support for analog progressive out"!! :confused:

The 2 .pdf are attached to this post.

Opinions??

Attachments

• FLI2301_Product_Brief_C0702-PBR-02.pdf
    71.4 KB · Views: 186
  • FLI2310.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 532
Yes, Spacedog, you're right. There is not ANY difference in the core features of the these two chips. No matter what people want to believe, they are internally exactly identical. The difference is ONLY that the FLI2301 has internal DACs while FLI2310 does not. For a high-end device, using FLI2310 means you're interested to use even better DACs than what FLI2301 has got but apart from that there is no other difference. So if you are using a digital connection like HDMI, these two chips are IDENTICAL!

Yeah, that makes sense :thumbsup:

I wonder if the 1920 is using its own 11bit/216 DAC to output analog signals or the 10bit DAC of the FLI2301 directly... :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom