1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1920 query (DVI and HDCP)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve998, Oct 19, 2005.

1. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon website says something like the following for the 1920 DVD player.

'.......Denon DVD players require HDCP compliant displays to be fully compatible. It prohibits the copying of copyrighted material, like onto a VCR or DVD-recorder' (not exactly the same as I did not want to get busted for copyright issues!)

I thought HDCP only applied to High Definition sorces? My TV is NOT HDCP compliant. Does this mean that my DVI input WONT accept a Digital Standard Definition signal from a 1920 DVD player?

I am one of the unlucky pepole who bought a Hitachi 32" PD5200E which has a DVI socket, but is not HDCP compliant.

Does my display need to be HD ready to display a digital SD picture via DVI?

Confused, please help.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    tbh i'm not sure......try hooking it up and see if it works...lol

not sure why it would worry about the HDCP side seeing as DVD's are only SD.....but i do remember reading that my 3910 mentions the HDCP side of things too.....havnt tried it connected to anything yet tho....might give that a whirl tonight to see...lol

mebbe its just to prevent copying any type of disc.....

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Being HD ready means your display can accept a image of a higher resolution then SD.

HDCP is a copy protection that applies to all DVDs with a DVI-D or HDMI port to stop you sending the clean digital video signal to a PC or recorder. So you will need it on your display for both the 1920 and 3910.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Does anyone know if the 1920 can be HDCP hacked either via software or in an external box like the Samsung 950?