Denon 1920 or Pioneer 868

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Vectraone, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Denon 1920 a couple of months back but have suffered with occasional lipsync issues, even since the lastest firmware upgrade to 1.24 - connected to the new Sony 50" lcd rear pro (KDF-E50A12) by HDMI.

I now have an opportunity to upgrade the DVD player to a Pioneer 868 for an extra £250.

Other than hopefully solving the lipsync issues, do you think I would notice an improvement in picture and/or sound quality with the Pio compared to the Denon? Has anyone directly compared the 2? The Pio is an older model, although much more expensive, so I wondered whether the newer Denon would be as good picture and sound wise given the advancments in technology and consequent reduction in manufacturing costs. As I said, would I really see a difference?

I can't demo the 868 and have to decide within the next 48hrs, so your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Haven't made my mind up whether £250 is worth paying just to get rid of the occasional lipsync problems!

Cheers

Colin

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I would go for the 868

3. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    save the money and hold out for Blue Ray!!:cool:
    and the money needed to replace all your DVDs!

4. Monk888

Monk888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes Blue Ray should be released in 2007 (2006 is a pipe dream) and you can watch Charlie's Angels II over and over again.

ok, joking aside as it's new technology expect loads of problems. I would stick with SD for a few years until all the early bugs in Blue-Ray and HDV are sort, oh and when the media war ends and we have a unified media.

I don't fancy buying either a Blue-ray or a HDV and then find in a years time the other technology has won and my £1500 player is as good as useless and I'm stuck watching 10-20 movies.

The Pioneer 868 is great player, does everyone expect Blueray or HDV to be perfect with no video bugs and digital nasties? You will be disappointed if you do.

Just my opinion, shot me down if you wish, but the older members who embraced Sony Betamax know what I mean.

Regards,
    MP

5. con219

con219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Here Here totally agree!!!!

6. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Have decided to take the pluge and shell out another £250 on the Pio. Hope it's worth it! Now does anyone want to buy a Denon 1920!

Re Blue Ray & HDV, I agree - its some years off for me, I'm not throwing away my DVD collection just yet - although the VHS videos and cassette tapes have recently gone having resided in the loft for some time. Still can't bring myself to throw away the vinyl though -it's an age thing. Personally, I think the Playstation 3 will sell Blue Ray and make life difficult for HDV - will wait and see.

Cheers

Colin:)