Denon 1920 - lip Sync Problem

dextercat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any lip sync problems with this player?, I hadn't until I watched a couple of DVD's yesterday and the sync was awful!.

Is there any solution?

Dextercat :(

dextercat said:
Anyone had any lip sync problems with this player?, I hadn't until I watched a couple of DVD's yesterday and the sync was awful!.

Is there any solution?

Sometimes i also have lipsync problems with my DVD1920. What's causing this ? The player, the receiver or the screen (Hitachi 42PD7200). Would also like to know how to correct this. My receiver hasn't got an option to delay the sound

Jeffrey

Is this with Dolby Digital soundtracks, DTS and is it persistent or just there for a few moments partway through the film? Any sample discs?

Dolby Digital, some scenes are ok others are awful, seems to get worse towards the end of the discs. Samples - Queer as Folk and Queer as Folk2.
Channel 4 specials.

Is it happening after the layer change? I have seen this on Denons before. It is fixable in firmware.

Sorry I am a bit new to all this - what is a layer change and how do I know where it is?

DVD movies, due to their length, are usually stored on two layers of a disk, a layer change is when your laser refocuses onto the next layer of a disk. In the old days you have to flip the disk over yourself half way through a movie.

Oh yea, right it did hesitate a bit but I don't recall the lip sync being any worse after that. It certainly was worse towards the end of the film though.

So how do we get a firmware update?

Cheers

dextercat said:

Is there any solution?

The lipsync problem is most likely caused by the Faroudja DCDi the Denon uses. This has been an ongoing problem with DVD Players and older HDTV sets using Faroudja DCDis. I have read countless posts in other forums complaining about lipsync problems with OPPO DVD players which also uses Faroudja. The lipsync usually goes away when you stop or pause for a few seconds then resume playback again.

My older generation Samsung DLP (HLN5685W) had this problem and I had to return it...

So is it best to return them or should we wait to see if there's a new version of firmware? My problems are on HDMI too.

I have watched two movies tonight (Cursed 2005 and Fever Pitch). Both looked absolutely fabulous on my Hitachi 42PD7200. The sound on both dvd's was 5.1. There was no sign of lip sync problems.

The next time i watch an DTS DVD i will pay extra attention to the lip sync

Also have a Denon 1920 running through HDMI@720p and have already tested a lot of movies and no sign of lipsync issues...

And let me say, even without DVE calibration (I'll only be doing it tonight) the PQ is just AWESOME on my Sony V32 !! Yesterday I re-watched "Pulp Fiction" which is a relatively "old" title and the quality of the image was absolutely stunning !!! Clean-clean-clean, detailed-detailed-detailed !!! Love that Inglewood fella ! :D

So perhaps it's just my player then? The quality of picture is superb I agree and it was only the dvd's mentioned that had a problem - anyone else have theses and can test?

I am not using an AV receiver at present so there is no compensation involved.

I've had lipsync issues on some discs with my Denon 1910.

Awaiting my 1920 at the moment.

Is this between audio from your A/V amp and display? Have you tried running SCART to your screen and seeing if the audio is out of sync with the image?

Eddy Boy

I am using a HDMI connection between the 1920 and a Toshiba 32wl56. I haven't got my speakers yet so I have not connected my av reciever up (Denon 1906). When I get the other stuff sorted I'll test it with oterh connections and I believe the 1906 has lip synch compensation ( don't how how this works or if)

No ? Oh well, I am now following up the theory that it could be my new Tosh 32wl56 TV ! :(

ive had a few sync problems but i just press pause then unpause. often sorts it! check the settings to make sure you havent got the dialog playing fast

press mode when playing and its 3rd or 4th setting i think... meh its in the manual!

Had slight problems with Ghostbusters last night, but it was less than a minute.

Watched Pulp Fiction in DTS on Saturday though, and it was awful in places. Stopping and restarting didn't seem to do much. Sorted itself out in the end though.

Picture was absolutely gorgeous though.

I am having problems with some of the DVD's i've been watching on my Denon 1920. Some are ok but music dvd's are terrible. The sound is a split second ahead of the screen.......although that only seems to be through my surround sound system. Driving me a little crazy as i want to listen to the sound in full effect :eek:

Using HDMi cable from DVD to the TV i cant really tell any delays. Will try some other dvd's and see how that goes.

Cheers guys,

The dealer that I got my 1920 from said it was wouldn't be the 1920 that caused the problem but my TV. What TV's/monitors do you guys have?

Detercat :thumbsup:

not experienced any problems so far with my Hitachi42PD7200

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom