Denon 1920 HDMI audio output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Parmenion62, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Parmenion62

Parmenion62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I noticed in the spec that the Denon 1920 has a HDMI audio output. Are there any receivers that take a HDMI audio input? Does the HDMI output include SACD and DVDA mulichannel music?

2. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    As above

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A/V amps are at about £1K with HDMI, You can send DVD-A though HDMI but not SACD.

4. Parmenion62

Parmenion62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks for the info. I guess I will wait a while before upgrading my Denon 3802. A bit off topic but do you think HDMI will replace iLink for audio?

5. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I-link will stay next to HDMI. I think i have read somewhere I-link supports higher bandwith throughput then HDMI

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    HDMI version 1.2 will support SACD / DSD. This has only just been announced, so players, processors and amplifiers that will support it will become available over the next few months. Pricewise, from the top, first, of course. Then we won't need firewire/IEE1394/DenonLink/iLink any more.

Not that we will actually need DSD over HDMI - iLink does exactly the same job, but with a different physical interface and a different copyright protection scheme. There would be little point in upgrading a player with iLink except to improve cross-manufacturer compatibility.

iLink can support up to 200Mbps or 400Mbps depending on the manufacturer, but HDMI (A) will support 1.65 Gbps. HDMI is better standardised and will presumably take over from iLink.

Nick

7. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am probably being dense - the ive just ordered an LCD with a hdmi slot and was looking to get this player because it has had some awesome reviews.

I dont have an amp so if i plug the hdmi straight from my 1920 to my lcd will the cable carry both picture and sound like a scart would, or does it just take the picture like a dvi cable?

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Yes, HDMI will also carry sound - that's the main differeence between DVI and HDMI.

Cheers,

Martin.

9. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

10. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    hdmi is slighly better than hdmi in pq terms, can you get sound through dvi??
    oh and sky hd will only be availiable through hdmi, but naturally you can get converters and stuff.

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I believe that there is no difference in picture quality between DVI and HDMI (although may be wrong there) but no, you do not get sound through DVI.

Cheers,

Martin.

12. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :rolleyes: meant to say hdmi and dvi, and i heard hdmi is better than hdmi fractionally but not enough to make a substancial difference

13. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    In fact, Sky have stated that the first release of its HD box will also have component out, so you will not need HDMI to watch the HD programs at first but, no doubt, as time goes on, more and more programs will be transmitted with HDCP (High-bandwith Digital Content Protection) in which case the only way you'll be able to view will be via HDMI.

As to "converters and stuff" I very much have my doubts but time will tell.

Cheers,

Martin.

14. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Oh my god, NO...HDMI is based on DVI and is purely digital - There is NO difference in quality because it's just 1s and 0s...both carry uncompressed video so there is no data loss WHATSOEVER...!!!

15. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    none of us have any idea about what we are talking about do we (or is it just me) :D there are so many false rumours about Sky hd, digital connections and the like and me being me believes most things i hear so... glad you cleared some things up :cool:

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    lol.....there can be signal loss......if the signal isnt strong enough then not all the data gets through, this can happen for instance if the cable is too long, both HDMI and DVI are length limited unless you spend a fortune on heavily screened cables....you most likely will get blocking effect like you do on digital TV........the cheap cables are only good upto around 5m at most, especially DVI, after that u want the good stuff.....

however most people will use short runs of cable, in which case it isnt so much of a problem, there shouldnt be any difference between HDMI and DVI then.....for me its a problem as i am using 10m, and tbh the component cable i bought outperforms the HDMI one and i think its the length.....i havnt had the chance to try using exact same but shorter versions of cable yet due to lack of funds, will do when i can......(altho obviously it could be the components differences as well, my DVD player might create a better picture by decoding the digital first than my PJ can by getting a digital signal and decoding it)

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

DVI and HDMI are both interconnect/connectivity standards - they don't guarantee anything about the quality of the video signal they are transporting; your HDMI cable is just as happy sending a duff signal as it is sending a very high quality signal.

DVI started in the PC environment and was intended for short cable runs of Digital video only - HDMI is intended as a Multimedia standard and carries Video plus Audio (NOTE. Not all HDMI Input and Output sockets are fully Multimedia compliant some only carry the Digital Video signals).

You can pass various video signal formats over DVI and HDMI connections so its no good saying HDMI is equal to or superior to DVI - you need to know what signal your actually passing along the cable; equally the type of Transmitter/Receiver chips used in your Source and Display device can and does have an affect on the image you see on screen.

Also keep in mind that the Manufacturer of your Source or Display device may not intend the HDMI and or DVI Input to have equal billing - sometimes they lavish more cost/effort into one or other Input/Output.

Its also worth noting the because of differences in how a Digital PC signal transmits a Video signal not all DVI Output/Input sockets handle an HDMI signal in the way you except - if the DVI socket is primarily intended for PC use you often have the point where Black should be Black in your video signal set incorrectly and end up with Grey Blacks.

You can also have problems when mixing DVI and HDMI Input/Outputs where you have different vintage Transmitter/Receiver chips and have handshaking problems!

See http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp and http://www.siliconimage.com/products/ (for the techies)

1's and 0's are just as easy to muck up as any Analogue signal :)

Best regards

Joe

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDMI is compatible with DVI but it is not the same. Many of the differences give HDMI the potential for a better quality signal. For instance:

DVI is 8 bit RGB 4:4:4. HDMI supports not only 8 bit RGB 4:4:4 but also 4:4:4, YCbCr or 4:2:2 YCbCr all at 8, 10 and 12 bits.

With a pure HDMI-HDMI Link, there are some differences in the protocol. These are not used with DVI equipment in the chain. These differences are:

HDMI supports a guard band in the data. The guard band is a fixed data pattern Guard Band designed to provide robust determination of the transition from the Control Period to the Data Period.

HDMI also supports a data island. As well as carrying audio information, the data island carries auxiliary information such as HSYNC and VSYNC signals. The data island also contains additional error detection/correction information ad other information that may allow an HDMI device to be more robust or automatically configure itself in a more correct manner.

So whilst DVI and HDMI can provide exactly the same picture quality, there is also the potential for HDMI to provide a much better one and in a more robust manner.

It is also possible for a DVI equipped device to actually have some of the enhanced HDMI functionality. For exaqmple, I have heard of a DVI screen alegdly accepting YCbCr.