1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1920 gone faulty?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sallyann, Oct 1, 2005.

1. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My one week old Denon 1920 appears to have developed a fault. When I got it I first tried the HDMI / DVI connection and this worked fine. Then I tried Component output and this appeared to be better. However after a few days decided to try HDMI again - and HDMI doesn't work anymore!

The TV seems to recognise the input and then immedietly says 'no input' and keeps repeating this cycle about once per second.

I tried the HDMI / DVI output into a PC monitor and the same thing happens, so the problem seems to be with the DVD player.

I have reset the factory defaults hoping this may cure the problem but it hasn't. I have emailed the supplier and am awaiting response, but I guess it will be going back for replacement!

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    This may be a silly question, but do you need to switch the HDMI on? On my 3910 you can't have component & HDMI/DVI on at the same time, so you have to toggle between them. On the 3910 it's on top left of remote.

T.

3. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As Timbo mentions, you can't have HDMI on while outputting a component signal - maybe you need to turn HDMI back on again. Sorry if that is stupidly obvious but I'd just thought I'd mention it.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Also, I doubt the DVI connector on your PC monitor will accept an HDCP protected signal.

Steve

5. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses.

HDMI output is controlled via a button on the player (but not on the remote). This toggles between off/480/720/1080 and HDMI should kick in when anything other than off is selected. Selecting any of the 'on' settings causes the HDMI led to glow, indicating a good cable connection but the TV detects the continuous input received / no input received condition.

As a further test I have connected my PC into the TV's DVI input and this also works ok indicating that the TV DVI input is fine.

Everything seems to point to the DVD player being faulty. At my suppliers suggestion, I have emailed Denon UK about the problem, but as yet received no reply. The supplier has agreed to replace the unit if Denon do not come up with any solution.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Let us know how it goes, especially since many forum members will be very interested to see how it performs, & of any possible weaknesses. :)

7. twobeagles

twobeagles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the 1920 over the weekend, and I had a couple of thoughts on your problem. I'm not sure if you have tried these or if they will work. Firstly, make sure that on the DVD settings on your receiver, you have HDMI on and component video off. Secondly, try going into the DVD players settings by hitting the setup button on the remote. Go into "cutom" menu, and make sure the HDMI setting is turned on. Hope this helps!!!

8. gm0x45

gm0x45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The receiver might have an autosource , detecting automatically what's coming. Did you see the red HDMI light flashing at least? If not, so no HDMI is output, if the light's flashing, then it might be the cable. It is very difficult to lock the signal sometime. Play a bit on the plug.

9. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Can you let me know how this DVD player has performed for you?

I'm thinking of getting it to go along with my soon to be confirmed/bought Samsung LE32R41BDX.

Have you had any problems with it? Is there much of a pause with Dual Layer discs? Does it upscale nicely? Is there much difference between the HDMI and Component outputs on it? What's the audio sound like on it?

Any kind of reaction would be great to hear..

Many thanks

Sami

10. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I took delivery of a 1920 to use with the LE32R41B that arrived on monday. I haven't done any proper dvd watching yet, but I have thrown a few at it to see how they looked.

I thought the pod racing scene from Star Wars Episode 1 looked amazing, and Monsters Inc was stunning.

I haven't tried it through component, just HDMI so far. Probably won't bother as I'm going to use the component for my xbox.

Like I say I've not done much with it yet, but what I have seen is done well. Just waiting for a multi-region firmware upgrade to arrive.

11. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Same as really, watched Blade Trinity (excellent picture quality) and flicked through Star Wars EP 1 & 2. The picture was even better on EP1 & 2 than Blade. I remember the layer change taking a while on Blade though.

Overall I'm very happy with the machine and would highly reccommend it!

12. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask you what HDMI mode did you guys enjoyed more? 576p/720p/1080i?

13. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've been running mine mostly in 720p so far.

I haven't gotten far enough into anything to witness a layer change yet, so I can't add anything there.

14. twobeagles

twobeagles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not been able to tell a difference between 720p and 1080i, so I have just been using 720p.

15. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    More than happy with 720p.

16. twobeagles

twobeagles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I am very happy with the player! It upscales very nicely. The picture I get when watching DVDs is not quite the crystal clear high def picture I get when watching high def cable, but it is pretty close. I noticed a sharper picture with HDMI as opposed to component video. The audio is perhaps the best feature and the main reason why I bought this unit. Once you listen to Dark Side of the Moon (SACD), you will be glad you spent the money.
    :thumbsup:

17. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I just finished watching Con Air. (still bought a tear to my eye at the end, big softy that I am)

Picture looked ace all the way through. Until now I'd never watched advd with a progressive scan player let alone one that does such a good job of upscaling. There was so much more detail and depth to the picture.

There was a slight pause at the layer change, but nothing too dramatic.

Very pleased with the player so far. Am sure I'll be even more pleased when I can get it multi-region and watch my region 1 stuff.

18. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    I though Denon had memory buffers installed in their machines to smooth out the layer change?

19. RC23

RC23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What´s about noise of dvd drive. My dvd player will work in a distance of 1 meter to my armchair.

20. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I can't hear a peep from mine

21. D83

D83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I received my machine yesterday and all looks fine. I wanted to ask other members who have theirs about their mains plug, of all things. I got my machine from Peter Tyson, and the mains plug looks like it is a euro plug, with a UK plug casing around it, so it is in effect an adaptor. This is relatively trivial matter as the player seems to work fine. Just wondering if other people who havw got a 1920 can share their views, especially if bought from Peter Tyson.

Thanks

22. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Got mine from Peter Tyson and it's exactly the same style plug as yours. Never gave it a thought really, the machine works just fine. Has a Sony 735 that had the same style plug a few years back.

Any news on the multi region update from Peter Tyson, expecting mine in the post any day now....

23. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Got mine from Peter Tyson too but I didn't get the uk adapter with mine, so I'm just using it through a shaver adapter.

24. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned the player to the supplier Weymouth HIFI and upon receipt they tested it and found it to be ok. However they very kindly sent me a replacement just in case there was an intermittent problem with the player.

Top marks to Weymouth HIFI - excellent customer service!

However the replacment player did not cure the problem. I have replaced the HDMI/DVI cable with a high quality one but this has had no effect. So it is now looking like a problem with my TV.

I will of course now be contacting my TV supplier for their opinion on this problem.

25. kallehubben

kallehubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have the european version of denon 1920, after the regionfree firmware upgrade it worked fine and i used hdmi output. After 1 week i couldn´t get any hdmi signal from it. The plasma works fine with dvi from my computer but not from my denon 1920.
    Denon won´t replace it since i upgraded my firmware, i want to replace the firmware to the old one so i can send it back to denon again. Does anybody know where i can find the old firmware?

26. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like the same problem I am having, although I haven't upgraded the firmware. I cant use hdmi via the Tv's DVI input, but my PC works ok via DVI. I spoke to a techie from my TV supplier and he told me that the TV's DVI input is not fully compatible with certain DVD players HDMI output.

27. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use 1080

the dvdplayer has prog scan so technically its running at 1080i..? isnt it?

28. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Sallyann,

I had same problem , see my thread, with 1920, multiregion from Richersounds, hooked up with my Z2. After changing it twice it still wouldn't work. Picture comes and goes no matter how much setting changes.

When they check them back at RS they work fine. eventually gave up and bought a Samsung HD950 - worked straightaway

29. Moosevender

Moosevender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for jumping in off topic but there seems to be a few Denon 1920 threads flying about and I didnt want to start another.

Obviously it plays DivX, but what about XviD? How, if at all does it handle it?

30. BenchyUK

BenchyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    I heard that 720p works fine aswell. Can't wait to Watch Star Wars episode 3 on it.

It will look great