1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1920 DVD-Audio problems ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Beano, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a new Denon 1920 DVD player the other day and am now trying to make it work with a DVD-Audio disc....

The problem is that I can't seem to play the DVD-Audio specific tracks on the disc; only the DD and DTS tracks are available to me just like on a normal DVD-Video player.
    Can't figure out how to access and play the Advanced Resolution Multi-Channel Surround Sound track which should be on the disc also according to the specs on the cover.

What's wrong ?... do I need to set something up on the player or use it in a special way on the Denon 1920 ?
    The crappy manual doesn't help.

The DVD-Audio disc I'm trying to play is this one :
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=DVDA&title=104865

Please help... TIA :rolleyes:

2. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVD-A & SACD can only be listened to in 5.1 format via the 5.1 outputs from the player to the 5.1 Ext.In Inputs on the amp/receiver.

Connect the 1920 to your amp/receiver as follows:
    2x RCA from CD ouput to CD input (for 2ch stereo)
    6x RCA from 5.1 output to 5,1 Ext.In inputs (for 5.1 DVD-A & SACD)
    Coax or Optical output to Coax or Optical input (for DVD in 5.1 DD, DTS)

3. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you listen to 2ch stereo from the 5.1 analog outputs as well?? You don't really need the extra 2xRCA from the CD output (i guess you mean the 2ch analog out right?) do you? Or is there anything different between listening to a regular music CD through the left&right channel of the 5.1 analog outs and through the 2ch analog out?

4. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, that's true. But I have fuill range front speakers that go down to 25Hz and having the connection via CD out/in allows me to use the DSP processing in the amp if I want to, for 5.1 Ext.In this is disabled.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I don't know the Denon DVD players, but on any DVD-A players I've owned you need to tell the player which audio layer to play when there are more than one, ie set it to always play a DVD-A layer when available. As I've never owned a Denon DVD player I can't tell you how to do this, or even if you need to on your player.

Mark.

6. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On the Denons, for DVD-A, if you tell it to play the Audio layer by default (so you don't have to have a display connected) it will always play the 5.1.

7. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I allready know how to connect the AMP to the player and got SACD to work fine - no problem here!

My question is how to access the DVD-Audio part of the disc ?

The player only access the DVD-Video part (DD and DTS tracks are selectable) and not the DVD-Audio part (Advanced Resolution Multi-Channel Surround Sound) which is also on the disc.
    When I press the "Audio" button on the remote, I can only switch between DD and DTS.

The player writes "DVD" in the front display but not "DVDA".

8. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figured it out - works now :)

Seemed I had to set the "Player Mode" to "Audio" in setup before the player would use the disc as a DVD-Audio disc since it had both DVD-Video og DVD-Audio tracks on it.

9. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, got your point! :thumbsup:

BTW, can you tell me if there is any signal being sent to the subwoofer channel when playing a normal music CD through the 5.1analog outs of the Denon and the "Bass enhancer" option is "off" ??

I'm asking this because in the manual it says that you need to set "bass enhancer" to "on" in order to ouput a signal to the subwoofer channel when listening to a 2channel source through the 5.1analog outs. BUT I found it very odd that you can still change the "large/small" setting for the left/right speakers even with "bass enhancer" set to "off" (and you can really notice a difference in the sound) !!! :confused: Does this mean that the Denon is simply cutting off the sounds below 100hz in the left/right channels (when you set them to "small") WITHOUT redirecting them to anywhere?? :confused: