Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Denon 1920 - deinterlacing not working

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jim Barry, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I bought a Denon DVD-1920 largely on the basis of overwhelmingly positive comments about it here on AV Forums. However, I am highly upset to find that progressive output via HDMI is not working properly. When playing 576i TV material such as Red Dwarf, the deinterlacing keeps turning itself off. The dreaded "comb teeth" edges appear and scrolling credits look absolutely terrible. Sometimes, after pausing, the deinterlacing will kick in, but then it will go wrong again. I have tried all the different PROG.MODE settings, i.e. AUTO1/2, VIDEO1/2/3 but it makes no difference whatsoever. Looks like I will be sending this player back tomorrow. :(

2. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh. You're giving me second thoughts about this player now

3. matm00

matm00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this an isolated problem with your particular player or a general problem with the 1920?

4. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't know. I spoke to Denon UK and they said it might help to do a reset, which I will try when I get home tonight. They said it might also be due to the multiregion firmware and are emailing the original R2 firmware to me. Of course, I am not particularly interested in owning the player if it is not multiregion.

I wonder why they don't support 480i/576i modes via HDMI?

5. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wouldnt worry about it too much m8 if ur after a panny or phillips lcd - your going to be playing at 720p anyway :clap:

6. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Errr, it's still very much an issue for TV-originated 480i/576i source material.

7. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Maybe a stupid queston, but is there a switch to force DVD's internal deinterlacing...the player is obviously playing interlaced source with progressive 2:2 cadence probably because a flag is wrongly set on the disc...override would help things, me thinks...are other discs with interlaced Tv source acting the same way???

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    All that happens is that the screen does the scaling rather than the player, I think that's what he was getting at.

9. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, the player behaves the same with all the TV-show discs I have tried. The player is not simply picking up a wrong flag. The picture starts off OK but after some indeterminate period of time the film mode detection goes wrong and the interlace artifacts start to appear. Like I said, I can get rid of the problem temporarily by pausing and restarting, but it goes wrong again very quickly. I would have thought that the VIDEO1/2/3 settings were intended to force deinterlacing, but it seems to make no difference. Anyhow, I would not be too happy about having to go into the menus to manually change the prog mode setting every time I switch between film and TV material.

10. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    But we're talking about deinterlacing, not scaling. The screen can't do the deinterlacing if the player has already converted to 480p/576p, or 720p for that matter.

11. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well, I did a reset and it made no difference at all, which is entirely as expected. I considered downgrading to the R2 firmware that Denon sent me, but I think I should consult the retailer before doing such a thing. And I rather doubt that it will make any difference. I mean, the multiregion firmware is just the standard firmware with the region restriction hacked out, right? No reason for the deinterlacing to stop working properly.