1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1920 Beware!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bonc, Oct 19, 2005.

1. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just managed to bag me a Denon from Richer sounds (price match) - I would post a review but am getting disillusioned with AV equipment at the moment...

Bear in mind i'm upgrading from an Toshiba SD 350 (present).

I'll say one thing in terms of picture quality - there is hardly any difference between the two (720/1080)- the Denon might edge it but not enough for the price difference. p.s Both machines, excellent picture quality - I guess curiosity got the better of me)!

Now my two main gripes with this machine which really get on my tits, and bemuses me that you can spend a little more money and still have too put up with what are fundamental flaws in my opininon:

a. The noise levels this machine makes during playback - not high enough to warrant sending it back but distracting enough if there is a really quiet scence in a DVD passage. (for all those going huh, turn your tv down and listen carefully - listen to that Denon whine)

b. This pause, stop resume bo***ks - totally unforgivable - I mean the player wont switch on if you get it wrong (check other posts for detailed explanation/cant be ars**ed) - have to reset at mains.

Denon you better release a firmware to correct point B. Unforgivable IMHO

(although if you look in the manual Denon has the cheek to write words along these lines -Troubleshooting "If machine wont turn on please reset at mains) hmmm, firmware upgrade not likely.

Point a I realise is a characteristic of machine no doubt.

Toshiba down points as we know - Blue light, Ugly design, dodgy HDMI (720).
    Denon down points as we know - Wont turn on, wont turn on wont turn on, noisy!

Just want to let people know what there letting themselves into.

2. Mr Good

Mr Good
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bearing in mind the picture scaling and the sound formats it supports what else did you expect from it??? You have to remember it is only a cheap machine!

3. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The power on problem also seems fixable - at least I fixed mine and i know one other person has fixed theirs the same way.

What I did was:

1. Clear the eeprom settings (press 1234 then display on the remote and hit clear to clear the eeprom). This will lose any settings changes you've made so make a note of them if you need to. This is different to using the Initialize option in the setup menu!

2. Go and enter your settings, but if you are using hdmi make sure to leave the Video Out option set to Scart. (you don't have to set it to component progressive to get a prog scan pic from hdmi)

That should to the trick. Like I say it's worked for me and someone else so it's got to be worth a shot.

For more information see here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=575725

Also my 1920 makes no noise when playing back a dvd, there's a bit of whirr when it's seeking when going to the menu but during normal play back I can't hear a peep - even with all other sound sources turned off.

On the whole I'm really pleased with the machine, especially now the power issue is gone for me. Agreed it should really have been picked up before the product was released, and Denon should fix it with a firmware update.

4. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Irrelevant.

The Toshiba is a much cheaper machine, yet is quiet as a mouse and doesnt have the power failure problem.
    Besides isnt Denon meant to be the more upmarket manufacturer!

To all fellow suferers - Have found some further info on this matter below, will try this when I get home:

AVS Forum Alliance Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a couple of questions and REALLY hope that other owners of the Denon 1920 DVD player will help me out. I read through the entire 1920 thread and a couple of people posted messages that referenced a power problem with the dvd. Well, I am now experiencing this 1st hand and it's quite maddening. After watching a DVD and turning the power of the unit off, it goes into standby mode (as expected). The next time I try to turn it on nothing happens! It stays in standby and does not respond to any button presses or the remote and will not power on fully until I unplug the unit and plug it back in. It seems to do this about 1/2 the time. Does anyone know if this is an issue with all 1920 players? I only noticed a few people posting the same problem. I still have 5 days left on my return period... so I am trying to decide if I should send this unit back and get the same thing (hoping the problem will be corrected) or getting a different DVD. I would hate to part with it though because I absoltuely love the picture quality and sound (though i do get some macro blocking).

If this is indeed an issue with all 1920's, does anyone have any info on a fix for the problem? Can it be fixed via firmware?

Finally, if I decide to get a new DVD player it will most likely be the Denon 2910. I hate spending the extra money, but may just do that as a last result. Question is... how much of an improvement is their from the 2910 over the 1920? Is picture quality and sound better? Less macroblocking? Please let me know since I'm running out of time on my return policy. Thanks in advance!

David Nicolosi

Avalon24
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Avalon24
    Send email to Avalon24
    Find More Posts by Avalon24
    Add Avalon24 to Your Buddy List

08-31-05, 06:28 PM #2 (Print)
    rr6966

I have a 1920, and know what you are talking about. The player will not lock up when it is NOT in resume mode. What you have to do is :

- When you stop playing a DVD, the player goes into resume mode. Press stop again and the player will no longer be in resume mode, so when you power off the 1920 will not lock up. However, you will lose the memory of the place you left off on you DVD.

- What I do to get around this is press pause when the DVD player is playing (not stop), and then press power off on the remote. The player will shut off,briefly showing resume on your TV screen. When you turn the player back on ( it will power back on), the place you left off will be saved. Problem solved. However, to correct this Denon will need to provide a firmware update.

I love this player, and for me this works,and it is not worth returning this player. As you have learned the picture and sound are awesome. I like you was thinking of getting the 2910, but really didn't want to spend that much with HiDef DVD around the corner. I also own a Panasonic s97, and this player is great as well. I would recommend an s97 or s77 if this solution is not acceptable. I hope this helps!

rr6966
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to rr6966
    Send email to rr6966
    Find More Posts by rr6966
    Add rr6966 to Your Buddy List

08-31-05, 09:14 PM #3 (Print)
    Matt_Smi
    Obsessive...

Posts: 298 I was planning on ordering this player by the end of this week, but I am thinking I may wait until this issue is fixed via a firmware update (if it can be fixed with one). But good to know there is a workaround for it. I wish there was a way to find out if Denon has any plans to correct the issue, I doubt e-mailing them would help.

Matt_Smi
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Matt_Smi
    Send email to Matt_Smi
    Find More Posts by Matt_Smi
    Add Matt_Smi to Your Buddy List
    View Matt_Smi's Photo Gallery

08-31-05, 09:25 PM #4 (Print)
    rr6966

Posts: 54 It has been posted, but I believe this issue has something with the HDMI output providing a constant signal when trying to shut down. I believe this doesn't happen using the other outputs.

rr6966
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to rr6966
    Send email to rr6966
    Find More Posts by rr6966
    Add rr6966 to Your Buddy List

08-31-05, 11:07 PM #5 (Print)
    Avalon24

Posts: 13 Thanks for the responses. It's too bad Denon let this player hit the market with such an obvious flaw. I really do love the player... but the power issue is really not an easy one to overlook, especially since my wife (stay at home mom) uses it more often than I do. If she accidently forgets to hit "pause" and hits stop, then I know I'll be getting a call from her while I'm at work. I sent an email to Denon, but I really doubt I'll hear back from them. Btw, I am using HDMI as my DVD video output and have the unit plugged into a Monster HTS5100 power center.

I'm suprised more people haven't experienced this issue. Is it isolated to just some units, or all units? I am still considering the 2910... but as rr6966 stated, HD DVD is right around the corner and it's difficult to justify spending over $700 on a DVD player that I'll have for a max of 1 to 2 years.

Are there any 2910 owners out there that been able to compare the 1920 pic and sound quality to the 2910 pic and sound quality first hand? If so, I would love to hear your impressions! Is the macro blocking on the 2910 a big issue? Thanks.

David

Avalon24
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Avalon24
    Send email to Avalon24
    Find More Posts by Avalon24
    Add Avalon24 to Your Buddy List

10-05-05, 07:15 PM #6 (Print)
    WarrenBuffett

AVS CLUB MEMBER I have had the 1920 power issue happen many times..... Doesn't really bother me... I just unplug it and plug it back in... I'm sure it will be fixed with a firmware update. Player is much better than all others at its price point... a small annoyance.

WarrenBuffett
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to WarrenBuffett
    Find More Posts by WarrenBuffett
    Add WarrenBuffett to Your Buddy List

10-06-05, 04:52 AM #7 (Print)
    Caranthir

Posts: 4 FYI, I own the European model and have the same issue. However, I cannot always make it happen by pressing Stop and then Off. It never seems to happen when I keep the display (Philips 32PF9966 connected via HDMI-DVI cable) at the DVI input until the player is really in standby mode. However when I switch channels or turn off the TV before the player, it happens quite frequently, but not always. Really seems to be some kind of HDMI/HDCP "handshaking" issue.

I emailed Denon Germany and referenced the two threads in this forum where the issue was discussed, let's see what happens. Any official statements from Denon U.S. yet?

Caranthir
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Caranthir
    Find More Posts by Caranthir
    Add Caranthir to Your Buddy List

10-10-05, 02:48 AM #8 (Print)
    butlerpeter

Posts: 7 I noticed this problem on my uk machine over the weekend.

Funny thing is - I got the player early last week and, being aware of this thread, made sure to test it. To begin with it worked perfectly fine.

I don't tend to hit Stop very often so am not shutting it down while in resume mode. What usually happens is I'll watch a dvd then when I'm done I just hit the eject button on the front panel, take the disc out, then turn the player off. Whether doing that puts it in resume mode as well I'm not sure.

Anyway, I've just phoned Denon Product Support in the UK. The guy I spoke to there suggested a factory reset might fix the problem.

To do the factory reset:

1. Turn the player on (green light)
    2. Make sure there's no disc in the tray
    3. Hold (on the player front panel) Forward Skip, Play and Open/Close for 4-5 seconds
    4. Player should say 'Initialize' on the display

I haven't tried this yet, will do so when I get home from work.

butlerpeter
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to butlerpeter
    Find More Posts by butlerpeter
    Add butlerpeter to Your Buddy List

10-10-05, 07:25 AM #9 (Print)
    Caranthir

Posts: 4 Hmm, how is that different from the "Initialize" available in the Setup menu?

Caranthir
    View Public Profile

10-10-05, 07:32 AM #10 (Print)
    butlerpeter

Posts: 7 No idea - that's just what the guy suggested I try

butlerpeter
    View Public Profile

10-10-05, 10:27 AM #11 (Print)
    butlerpeter

Posts: 7 Well it seems I was given some bogus information.

Just tried the steps to do a factory reset and they don't seem to do anything at all!

Another call to Denon in the morning I think!

butlerpeter
    View Public Profile

10-10-05, 11:43 AM #12 (Print)
    Talons55

Posts: 52 I tried turning the HDMI output off with the front panel button first and then turning the player off and it didn't lock up once. I did this three times over the weekend and the 1920 turned on everytime.

Talons55
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Talons55
    Find More Posts by Talons55
    Add Talons55 to Your Buddy List

10-10-05, 05:21 PM #13 (Print)
    alicht

Posts: 2 I spoke with Denon about the power issue. I too only have a few days left where I can return it. They were working to reproduce the problem. If you have a reliable, repeatible way to reproduce the problem, I would encourage you to contact their support department. The number and contact information is listed on the denon website. They were very interested in finding a fix. But, they need a reproducable test case....and they pointed out to me it could be related to the configuration, resolution, TV type, etc. They need that type of configuration information.

alicht
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to alicht
    Send email to alicht
    Find More Posts by alicht
    Add alicht to Your Buddy List

10-11-05, 01:34 AM #14 (Print)
    butlerpeter

Posts: 7 After a bit of tinkering last night the problem seems to have gone away for me. I'm not sure if it's gone permanently or even exactly what it was that seems to have fixed it, but I'll detail what I did here so someone else can give it a try too.

After having no success with the factory reset detailed earlier I just started fiddling.

1) First I cleared the eeprom settings.

I don't know if it's widely known but to do so, turn the player on, make sure no disc is inserted, press 1, 2, 3, 4 then display on the remote. That gives a screen that shows the current firmware version and region setting. On this screen it gives you the option of pressing Clear to clear the eeprom. I did just that.

2) After clearing the eeprom you lose all of your settings, so I went back into setup and set everything how I wanted it. This time however I only changed the settings that were relevant to me (e.g. before I'd set the video out mode to component progressive even though I'm only using hdmi. This time I left it as the default - Scart for a european model)

3) Whilst changing the settings I noticed the one called 'Auto power off' - I hadn't noticed that before and in my mind something clicked and thought 'auto power off...well it is a power related issue and that option affects the power settings'

So I turned OFF the Auto Power Off option.

4) After that I quit the setup mode, set the hdmi mode to 720p and turned the player off. I then spent the next hour or so turning the player on and off every 5 or 10 minutes to make sure it was still working.

Then I watched a dvd, following the usual routine when it finished - ejecting the disc without stopping it first, then turning the player off.

Previously this would have caused the power-on issue, but now it worked perfectly fine.

It was still powering on and off correctly this morning, so all seems good so far.

Like I say I'm not sure exactly which of the above steps might have fixed it, or indeed if it is truly fixed, but I thought I'd report my findings here anyway.

Will be interested to hear if it works for anyone else. I'm going to call Denon again today as I was obviously given some bogus information yesterday from someone who didn't seem to have a clue!

butlerpeter
    View Public Profile

10-11-05, 11:41 AM #15 (Print)
    Caranthir

Posts: 4 Thanks a lot, I just tried this on my unit (European model too). How did you find out about the key combo to get to this screen BTW? OK, cleared the EEPROM but restored a few settings like TV aspect ratio, audio/menu language, I also disabled auto power off. However I set VIDEO OUT to "Component progressive" (using HDMI) again because when I left it at SCART, the "PSCAN" info would not light up in the player display, so I wasn't sure I'm losing some picture quality. Anyway, powered off/on with a disc in the try and bang, frozen again after a few tries. I'll set VIDEO OUT to SCART and will give this a try. Hope Denon comes up with a fix for this quickly.

Caranthir
    View Public Profile

10-11-05, 12:11 PM #16 (Print)
    butlerpeter

Posts: 7 I don't think you need to have the video out set to component progressive to get prog. scan through hdmi. I believe hdmi is prog scan only and that option only affects things if you are actually using the component inputs.

I found that combo when I was looking for a way to find out what firmware version I had already (am waiting for a multiregion update disc from my retailer). Can't remember where I found it exactly but it was listed for the Denon 1910 but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Mine's still not frozen up again yet, but I've not done any 'real world' testing yet other than watch that one dvd last night.

I speak to Denon UK again today about the bad instructions they gave for doing the factory reset (I didn't mention my findings last night yet). The guy I spoke to really doesn't have a clue about this model.

After I told him the instructions he gave me yesterday didn't work he then had to find a copy of the manual and then came back to tell me that to do a reset just use the Initialize option in the setup menu.

I told him I'd tried that but was still having the problem, to which he said it was probably a hardware fault and I should take it in to the retailer and get it checked/serviced by them.

I'm not convinced that it is a hardware fault - I think he just didn't know what else to suggest. It does sound much more like a firmware fixable issue to me.

Incidentally my firmware is v1.17 - what's everyone else got?

As mine seems fine at the moment I think I'm going to hang on and see what happens. As I say I have a MR firmware update disc on the way to me soon so I'll put that on and see how that goes.

butlerpeter
    View Public Profile

10-17-05, 03:30 AM #17 (Print)
    Caranthir

Posts: 4 Peter, your suggestions seem to have fixed the power issue for me. That is, setting VIDEO OUT to SCART while I'm still actually using HDMI (no changes in PQ visible), I haven't experienced the power-on problem in 4 days now. BTW, my unit shipped with firmware v1.17 too.

Caranthir
    View Public Profile

10-17-05, 04:41 AM #18 (Print)
    butlerpeter

I haven't had any power issues at all since I took the steps previously stated.
    I've watched quite a few dvd's in the time since and everything seems perfectly fine now.

Looking at the users manual for the US version of the player I see there's no scart option there (obviously) but instead there's a Progressive on/off option.

I wonder if setting that to off will help anyone with a US machine that is having this problem.

5. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yep that's the information I linked to in my post.

6. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL,

you sorted your problem Butler? did the change of settings work?

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    And the award for the longest post in the world goes to..... Bonc!!!!!

8. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah it worked for me - if you look closely you'll see it was me that discovered it! ;)

9. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good man! :rotfl:

10. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My 1920 is about the quietest machine I've ever had!

Contrast that with my constantly whirring Pioneer 575

11. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    second longest! -ill let you search for the longest, clue - "AV FORUMS" :D

12. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 575 was and is a noisy bugger, very good machine apart from that...

13. Mr Good

Mr Good
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Imagine what would happen if BMW made a 3 series for 10K though...

14. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    lol, if everyone quotes that mail, avforums are going to run out of server space :D

15. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Denon is definitely not noisy, in fact I would go far to say as it is very, very quiet indeed. The only sound I have heard it made is the disc tray coming in and going out!

If your is generating a lot of noise I can only suggest it is faulty.

I bought mine for the HDMI, and for £200 I am very happy with it. I have only had it for 4 weeks, but it has been a joy in that time.

16. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Old Clarkson would have field day.

17. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    so is my oppo, but does not suffer any of these issues. Agreed it does not support SACD, but its a fair trade off.

18. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    my 1920 is fine, quiet ,picture,s great and sacd cds sound every bit as good as my previous 565a ,not refused any of my discs yet. 200 quid well spent. :smashin: Mike

19. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    whould u rate the sound quality on stereo audio from the denon 1920? How much quality would u lose using the player than using say a cheap CA Azur model ? I`m looking for something to match with my Denon 2106 av amp...but at present havenet got enough for seperate dvd and Cd and just wondering how an integrated system using dvd for both would compaire.

(Sorry i have posted other posts elsewhere!!)

Chris

20. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    sorry craynerd not really the person to ask that, i listen to most music in 5.1 and when i do listen in straight mode it sounds good to me, but what sounds good to me doesnt neccessarily sound good to others, I hate bass booming out and peoples voices smoothed out with tone controsl cr@p. your only real option in my opinion is get a demo. Mike

21. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Were people expecting Denon DVD-3910 performance ? :devil:

On a sub-note - Every Pioneer DVD player I've had was very noisy :thumbsdow

22. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

23. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the warning I was just about to buy one this weekend!

what other similar priced DVD players offer divx support as well as upscaling and HDMI output?

also, where have you seen this for 200quid!?? is that for multiregion?

24. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well noize,

changing the key settings as per my earlier post seems to have solved the problem! I can now stop and resume as I like without resetting power! (fingers crossed)

Peter tyson does it for 199.00 multiregion - not in stock at the moment!

even with my complaints, youll be hard pressed to find a better dvd for the money that does all you want.

25. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    So changing the settings fixed the problem for you as well?

That's 3 for 3! :)

Does that mean I can now get official recognition as a genius for coming up with the fix???? ;)

26. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

27. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, I went to Tysons today (I live in Carlisle) and they are on order

so weymouth for me cuz its 210quid delivered in stock

28. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just to note that I had it initially on scart and it would not crash.

Then I put it on component and it does if I don't press stop.

So I've stuck it back on scart (using HDMI) and it's absolutely fine again.

29. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I think "esteemed member" would be only right :)

Or, "Evil Genius" :devil:

T.

30. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll figure it out lol

ive printed some extracts from this thread out incase it locks up
    (for when i get one that is)