Denon 1920 and 3806 - No sound without first turning TV on

T

tnotland

I am connecting my 1920 DVD player to my 3806 receiver using HDMI. The 3806 is connected to my monitor (Hitachi plasma) using a HDMI-DVI cable.

My problem is that when I try to play CDs on the 1920 I am not able to get any sound from the 3806 UNTIL I TURN ON MY MONITOR!!!! This is really frustrating as I don't feel like watching the Denon background just to listen to a CD.

It seems that the monitor tells the 3806 that "it is now time to start processing inputs" when I turn the monitor on. BUt on the display on the front of the 3806 it does not show that any signals are being received until I turn the monitor on, so I'm not sure what is happening really.

Have anybody else experienced this? Is there a setting that I've missed?

All help appreciated!

Cheers,
Tore

D

dmz

I currently have this problem also but I am a newbie so have probably made a school error

T

tnotland

The weird thing is that if I switch off the monitor, then the music keeps playing... So it does not need to be on for the 3806 to process the sound, but it needs to be on for the processing to start!

But try explaining that logic to the wife who might want to listen to a CD every now and then....

12 promises

WHAT OUTPUT ARE YOU USING?
D/LINK,ANALOGUE OR OPTICAL.
HAVE YOU RE-CHECKED YOUR MENU SETTINGS?:confused:
HAVE YOU RE-CHECKED YOUR CABLE TERMINALS?:confused:

T

tnotland

The output is HDMI.

I assume that the settings and cable terminals are all fine since the sound plays perfectly once I've switched the monitor on.

12 promises

Sorry But I Am More Confused Now.
The Cable Carrying The Sound Is What Please?
Have You Checked The Audio Input Setup?

T

tnotland

I use an HDMI cable to carry both audio and video signals from my Denon 1920 DVD player to my Denon 3806 Receiver.

12 promises

Can You Turn The Video Ouput Off On The Dvd Player?
It Seems Like There Is A Strange Quirky Thing Happening Because You Are Carrying Sound And Vision On The Hdmi The Amp Wont Kick In The Sound Until The Connection Is Made With The Tv!!
If You Are Sure Of The Settings It Will Do No Harm To Recheck With The Book In Front Of You......whenever Something Goes Wrong I Usually Find That The Something Is Me!!

T

tnotland

Yes, I guess I can do that. But it does not really help me as I then would have to switch the video output back on each time I want to watch a DVD...

I've checked the manual and cannot find anything there that will help me. Perhaps I can start using a separate optical/coax cable for the sound... But then I'm not sure if the DVD player will output sound through that cable, and at the same time carry the video through the HDMI cable! Argh!!!

12 promises

Yes It Will,but Remember To Change The Digital Input Menu On The 3806.
Sorry The Problem Isnt Resolved The Way You Would Prefer.
I Am Now On A Mission!!!

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd imagine the problem is that via HDMI the signal is requiring the initial HDCP handshake between the units, once done it will play as normal. Easiest solution would just be to connect either an optical or coaxial cable from the player to the amp and use that instead. Audio via HDMI suffers from high jitter levels anyway so you'll probably get better quality via optical/coaxial.

D

dmz

I have a HDMI cable from my 1920 to pioneer media reciever for video, a digital interconnect to my 3806 for DVD audio and coxial leads to the 3806 for CD but still have the same problem. ? I am will phone sevenoakes this afternoon and see if they can point me in the right direction

Eddy Boy

The problem lies with HDCP. It requires feedback to indicate a display is connected that can be worked with.

The 3806 is not a display and so can not provide the feedback so the player does not output any signals.

D

dmz

apologies for the delay, in my case it is a school boy error, I forgot to select CD on the 3806. This is the fix in my case as I have additional coaxial outputs from the 1920 not just the HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom