Denon 1912 with these floorstanders

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by A3Rick, Jan 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. A3Rick

A3Rick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Im currently looking at possibly buying a Denon 1912, Ive just looked on the RS website and they have Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 floorstanders at a good price. My question is would these go with the Denon? I would be looking to add a sub,centre and rears at a later date. RS also had some Cambridge Audio S70's re these any good?
    Many thnaks in advance

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Wharfedale speakers are often described as being slightly warm sounding and so is the Denon receiver so they may not pair well together. However, a lot will depend on your own personal sound preference hence they could be a good match or they may not. Your best bet is to go and listen to them and the CAs as well as a few others to see which you prefer. Monitor Audio BX range would also be high on the demo list.

3. A3Rick

A3Rick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply, The Monitor audios are out of my price range, hence the reason I've been looking at the bargain basement end of line stuff. I would only be using set up for music and blue rays would the Denon 1912 be overkill? Is it also better to build a system instead of buying a cheapish/mid range 5.1 speaker system?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The 1912 will be fine with movies and should be OK with music. If on a limited budget then building a system slowly is by far the best thing to do. Have you considered going secondhand to get more for your money?

5. A3Rick

A3Rick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, I haven't considered second hand, I guess I would be concerned about getting some "duff" gear, If putting floorstanders beside my plasma tv would I need them to be magnetically shielded?

6. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    You can get some well looked after stuff from the classifieds here.
    You don't need to worry about shielding.
    I run wharfedale with denon. Sound great, don't worry about warm/bright.

7. A3Rick

A3Rick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In laymans terms what are the main differences between the Denon 1312,1612 & 1912 as my tv is not 3d? also on the Wharfedale speakers is there much difference between the diamond 10.mt and the diamond 10.3 floorstanders? Sorry for all the questions

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Magnetic shielding is only required if you have a CRT as it does not affect plasma/LCD screens.
    The difference between the different models you mention is as you get higher up the numbers you get more power, more features and better components (so in theory better sound quality).
    The MTs are a smaller floorstander compared to the 10.3 so check the frequency responses of the 2 and you may find the 10.3 goes a little lower. There may also be differences in the clarity of the mid range and treble but the only way to tell if this is an issue for you is to listen to them both.