Denon 1912 or Yamaha 671?

andyshez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've recently purchased a set of Canton Movie 80CX 5.1 speakers from the classifieds on here.

I had been planning to buy a Denon AVR1912 from Richer Sounds for £300 to power them. I figured this would allow me to upgrade the speakers in future when we move to a bigger place.

However my head has been turned slightly by the Yamaha RXV671 @ £380 - the specs seem very similar but the Yamaha looks "prettier" to me plus it upscales to 1080p.

So I'd be very grateful for some advice on whether to spend the extra £80 on the Yamaha?

I'll be using it for a mixture of movies and music (music performance is a big factor for me, which is why I've moved on from looking at the Onkyo 509 and Sony 820)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I should add that Airplay is of no interest to me (I use Android not iOS) so that feature of the Denon is not worth anything to me.

I've spoken to my local Richer Sounds and Superfi and both insist that it is worth paying the extra for the Yamaha for it's superior sound quality compared to the Denon.

So would you guys agree that the Yamaha is worth an extra 80 notes?

I'm assuming they would both "match" equally well with the Canton speakers I've just purchased?

If the Yamaha is going to sound better for music then that would probably swing it for me...

Sounds similar to me ! I was going for the onk 509 at first but then started to look at the denon 1912 because it was a step up from the onk and similar price . I did want the onk 609 or yam 671 but both were still at £500 . As they both now dropped to £379 i went for the 671 for the better stereo music sound plus the yams are the smallest in height from all the others . I got my 671 on monday and im very happy i did .

Thanks dude - glad to hear your happy with the 671.

I only just noticed that the Onkyo 609 has come down to £379 as well - it's got a few more features than the Yamaha, but for some reason doesn't appeal to me quite as much.

So my options are:

Denon 1912 - £300 - MultiEQ XT sounds appealing, seems a bargain at £300
Yamaha 671 - £379 - apparently has superior sound quality, looks nicest
Onkyo 609 - £379 - added features (eg 120W) but brand doesn't appeal to me as much

I'm really struggling to make a decision :facepalm::facepalm:

Anything else I should be taking into account?!

I didnt like the size of the onkyo as they look huge . Also the denon is a good price but doesnt upscale/convert (which isnt a real problem) and the denon was too deep for my rack (think its 38cm!) . I went for yam as always read there good for stereo ! I could of saved £80 by getting the denon but the onk and yam both beat it in tests . I like the yamaha look as its different to all the others , great easy menu too ! Up to you but i made my choice and pleased

Also the watts dont bother me cos when you ever gonna have it that loud !

If i can do it all over again assuming i had money. the upscalling, if this feature allowed outputing sd video through the hdmi is helpful to me. That way you can have all the analog connections to the reciver. Then using one hdmi cable only to the tv for everything. Although not sure about this. Just something to consider.

Ps: nice super gt car you have there. YMS car isn't it?

Also the denon is a good price but doesnt upscale/convert…

The Denon can convert any of its analogue inputs to HDMI, but lacks any video upscaling.

dante01 said:
The Denon can convert any of its analogue inputs to HDMI, but lacks any video upscaling.

I take it the Yamaha can convert all it's analogue inputs into hdmi as well?

Mine sound seems to be getting better through my diamond 9.1 ! Suppose they need a few days running in .

I've decided to buy the Yamaha :smashin:

Just a case of where to buy it from now - its cheaper on Amazon than at RS, plus I have a £50 voucher.

However do you think the 5 year warranty from RS is a must?

I'm pretty sure it comes with 2 years as standard, I'd be gutted if it failed after 2.5 years having not bought the extended warranty!

I got mine from richer sounds for the simple fact that you can buy there 5yr warranty anytime within the first year of owning (for only 38notes) plus the fact there local to me so if i need to return it i can take it directly to them instead of boxing it up and wrapping it only to post it back to where it came from ! it was also same price at my local sevenoaks which is nearer but i wanted the 5yr warranty option. yes the yamaha comes with 2yr warranty , not sure on denon ?
also i got 16ft of cambridge audio speaker cable thrown in which is 2.99 a meter ! how much is it on amazon?

It's £369 on Amazon so not much difference, might just get it from RS and save my voucher for something else.

Thanks for your replies snapon :thumbsup:

Have you tried RS pricematch just got them to match a 1912 @ £274

Robert

It's £369 on Amazon so not much difference, might just get it from RS and save my voucher for something else.

Thanks for your replies snapon :thumbsup:

So did you buy yourself one yet ? We watched the last harry potter film last night on blu ray and my god the sounds was amazing ! My neighbour texed me saying he could feel his floor shaking ! The wharfedale sw150 sub is amazing !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom