Denon 1910 via DVI to AE500 problem with DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Razza1, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Razza1

Razza1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Received a 1910 just recently and have just about got to grips with it after many stressful hours. I was hoping to use it specifically for outputting on the DVI connection to my Panasonic AE500 projector.

My main issue is that when playing a DVD, with the AE500 set to EDID2 mode, only Region 1 DVDs are displayed at all on the PJ and only at 720p (using the little DVI button on the front of the unit). I can't get Region 2 DVDs to display at all. The firmware is 1.09 and it is multi-region enabled. If I set the PJ to EDID1, a get a cyclic flash of what looks like an array of messed up pixels for a second.

I've read quite a few posts which could relate to this but I can't really find an answer....

Also, I'm not sure what options I have with the component output. Other than progressive and interlaced, what else can I do? I take it upscaling is at the discretion of the decoder??
    Does anyone have any useful suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

Razza1

2. Razza1

Razza1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might add that all the DVDs tried were 'pukka' (the region 2 one being ROTK).... so I'm guessing HDCP translation should be ruled out.....maybe?

3. Razza1

Razza1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm. Ok has anyone successfully managed to get their 1910 outputting DVI to an AE500 with a UK DVD?

Was it a painful process??

Ta

4. leoncino

leoncino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

well, I got my 1910 only yesterday, checked a few dics, i.e. The big Blue, The Piano (R2, UK), worked flawlessly with the AE500 (DVI output).
    The picture is stunning. I used 720p output, but also 480/576p worked.
    Don't know the firmware version, though, since I don't know how to check.

Only problem *I* have, my 1910 is RC2, so I can't watch my R1 discs...
    So how did you turn yours into a regionfree one?

leoncino

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Razza1

Strange one this, I also have an AE500 & a multi-regioned 1910. All DVD's so far including LOTR's have played faultlessly via the DVI connection. I can only imagine yours is faulty. Can you supplier swap you one over or try upgrading your firmware ?

Good luck :thumbsup:

6. Prax

Prax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Got a Pioneer 43 Plasma, thinking of getting the denon 1910 for the DVI connection is it any good.....have read it causes noises digitelly and is not that impressive on sound.

Should i be considering buying a more expensive player to go with my already expensive plasma to make use of the HDMI connection on it

Help :lesson:

7. Prax

Prax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess no out there to help :lease:

8. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Prax,

If your telly's got an HDMI terminal then stck to a player with the said same - you might save yourself some headaches. Panasonic has just released a budget machine - DVD-S97 or if you can afford it a Denon DVD-2910.

Both get great reviews here in Japan.

Hope that helps you... :)

9. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go the 2910 - the 1910 just doesn't look, feel or perform to the extent the 2910 does. I tried both when I was reviewing, as soon as I saw the 2910 I just felt it was a better manufactured and built product.

10. leoncino

leoncino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems thw AE500 needs at least firmware 1.11 to work correctly with the Denon 1910.
    I just tried different firmware versions:
    1.09, 1.10 and 1.12 (I initially had 1.11)
    and only with 1.11 amd 1.12 the DVI connection worked fine.

Don't know any underlying technical stuff, but that's what I can tell you.

Leon

11. calvincoulter

calvincoulter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to an earlier query, I haven't seen the 2910, but I have just taken delivery of the 1910, and through my Sanyo PLV - Z2 and DVI - DVI cable, the picture is quite simply stunning!

I relly could do with the firmware upgrade though to get multiregion.

12. jonshram

jonshram
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I got my Denon 1910 yesterday and I was expecting to be amazed by the dvi-d pictures but they look worse than my old Onkyo player through rgb scart, my tv is a 28 inch Hitachi lcd and the dvi cable is a Monster dvi400 which I got from america, could it be that because its an american cable or does the fact its single and not dual link dvi-d make much of a difference, if someone has any idea what the problem could be it would be much appreciated.

13. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The dvi cable won't make any difference, have you seen the denon demonstrated -as the picture isn't going to be as stunning as some of their more expensive players... are you running the latest 1910 firmware and have you adjusted the picture on your Tv to suit the new dvd - ie used a set up disc such as avia or digital video essentials...?

Unfortunately with new technology you cannot just plug in and play and expect amazing results, the contrast, brightness, colour etc will all have to be adjusted to make your TV look the very best - either of those 2 discs will help you do that. Plus you have to make sure the ire on the player is at 0 and black level set to normal. If you don't have those disc's for the time being the thx optimiser available on most thx approved dvd's ie star wars is a good starting point for calibrating picture.

M

14. Prax

Prax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for that advice i was seriously thinking of getting the 1910 Denon just to use the digital output but it looks like i will be considering an alternative maybe the panasonic you mention. I know the 2910 is good but out of my buget :rolleyes: