1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 V. Sony NS930V (or DVI V. Component)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dUnKle, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Currently have a Denon 1910 connected to my 42PD5200 but to be honest im not that happy with its picture

Im guessings its more to do with the player as my consoles and TV give a fantastic picture - but more often than not the DVD picture suffers from some problems, such as

blocking - like that on badly encoded mpg movies on a PC - its not even always on moving objects

edging - hard to describe but sometimes where two objects meat it seems dodgy

coulours never seem that great and overal im far from happy

Now its connected via DVI and I have heard that the player is known for problems. I have the chance to swap to the Sony which is supposed to be well regarded - would / should this be better ?

If so what 1 meter set of component leads should I go for

2. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    hi mate. I have the sony deck and it is a very good player. I was even thinking of getting rid of it for the Denon 1910! Overall picture quality is good with little picture noise and the colours are vibrant.......via prog scan component I dont think you will find any better sub £200 (but I could be wrong). As for the lead......I use a Profigold and its great value at approx £30 for 1.5m

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Im really not happy with the 1910 to be honest - I have tried to be but failed :(

The blocking issue gets more noticable - so much so that even the GF mentioned it (final straw)

The TV gives a fantastic picture from other sources but I just feel I could gt so much more from DVD

will try the Sony set again - does anybody know how the Samsung DVD-HD935 compares against the 1910 ?

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Does anyone else have any opinions?

Just how much "better" should DVI be over Component?

I have played around with the 1910 again today and def not happy with the picture - changing DVI modes makes no noticable difference to picture quality at all that I can see - should it?

Should I see I difference between 720 and 1080 etc

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have a Panny AE500 PJ & sold my Sony 930 for a Denon 1910. Picture definitely improved via DVI-D (I use 720P) over component, more detail, sharper picture but best for me I lost the vertical banding.

In the secrets tests in the USA they said that the 1910 was a great little machine but was display specific. Perhaps it just doesnt like your display ? Perhaps your DVI will only show a PC Colour set rather than a video set ? Perhaps you have a bad DVI Lead ?

Hope you sort it !

:thumbsup:

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    well I have swapped to the NS930V and things look better to be honest

certainly no blocking at the moment :thumbsup:

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Just realised no manual for the Sony

anyone able to tell me what the settings in the setup menu are for ?

just looked at the HC review and it mentions altering picture more from dynamic to standard

where is this done ?