1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phetttt, Nov 25, 2004.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today (25.11.04) I bought a denon 1910 dvd with the view that eventually i'd use the dvi on a plasma, lcd or dlp tv. Now it's connected by scart cable to my tv (a toshiba 24z37b). However in testing it out i have noticed some colours are "graduated" or that images are not smooth- ie some clouds in the cloud city sequence in empire strikes back, or grey clothing in final fantasy. Is this a fault with the dvd player, or is it the dvds, or am i just being hyper critical? lol

Or would a decent scart cable cure it? (I have a cambridge audio gold plated cable through a joytech av centre, it looks great with my gamcube I might add)

Any ideas, or opinions would be welcome

thanks

2. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that its the DVD player being too good. I have the 2910 and thought i saw some grain on a few DVDs that looked ok on my Sony 525. I now have my player using component and the change is unreal. The picture looks 3-D now. I've not picked my jaw up off the floor. Am using prog-scan on just NTSC DVDs, as my TV only accepts an NTSC prog-scan picture.

As anyone tried the PAL prog-scan yet?

Ps. One thing. My player picks up nearly every bit of detail off the picture. DVDs that have been poorly mastered, show up badly, but disc's that are mastered correct, look A+

Sorry if this is a silly Q, but did you set your output to RGB?

3. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply

you are right , I have noticed more grain ive not noticed before, ie, fifth element in the desert at the beginning, but how do i check its rgb?, I only have video out - scart, component interlace and component progressive, I cant use progressive yet until i get my plasma, an lcd or an dlp :( , so have i bought a good player or should i return it??

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You need to go into the set up menu and within the 'video' section, check what the output is set to. It should read RGB and not just composite. In composite, the scart only utilises certain pins and sends the video signal as a composite signal, not seperated into RGB. Composite is the lowest quality video connection you can get, so if it is set to this, this will give you a pretty lousy picture compared to RGB.