1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 + Plasma?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plasmaboy, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Plasmaboy

Plasmaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Has anyone hooked up a 1910 to a plasma yet? I would guess most people with a plasma would go for a higher end model so perhaps not - I just object to paying for something I don't need and takes up too much space...

I have a pio 504. Which I understand is now old hat :censored:

I'm suffering ridicule for using a PlayStation2 to play DVDs on the 504 :suicide: , so I think a small upgrade is in order.

Cheers
    PB

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the 1910 isnt a good choice for plasma due to the MB issue it suffers from(macroblocking)

3. Plasmaboy

Plasmaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gandley, I've read a bit about the 1910's issues which is why I asked.... it looks like other choices would be the Panny S97, or stump up the cash for a more mid to high end player.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Why not try the Pioneer 565. Its receiving heavy praise in the AV journals and is only £150 !!!

CH

oh and dvd-a and sacd to boot!

5. Plasmaboy

Plasmaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip, I was really looking for a digital output though as I wanted to make use of the HDMI input on the Pio. My argument is that great players cost under 200 quid, so why should I pay more for a digital output? The signal was digital before they shoved it through the expensive DACs in the DVD player so a DVI/HDMI only player should cost less!

That said, I've had nothing but grief trying to use the HDMI input from a PC. The panel was sold as a 1280x768 panel. But as we now know things arn't that simple are they? In fact I feel totally ripped off.... sorry. rant over.

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    your safe bet is the pioneer 868i. at least you know it will work with the plasma u have and it delivers a great pic. if you dont want sacd i-link etc why not try the 668i.

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Or try Samsung 941 or 931 which has digital DVI output or Yamakawa (i think thats the spelling) about £100 from Germany. These players also upscale the output resolution.

CH

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well those will output 720p which isnt quite a match for the pio plasma, as the screen will still need to scale slightly

9. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone explain this macroblocking issue to me? I need to decide on a Denon 1910 for a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma and want to get decent quality.

Thanks. :lease:

10. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Try 'em! That's my advice. I was quite disappointed with HDMI when I first tried it. I had expected something a lot better. I'd've been really annoyed if I'd just forked out the cash without trying a new player.

Although I have to say that since following John Dawson's advice and calibrating the screen to suit the DVD player, the picture has improved to the point where I'm now thinking about it.

If you've spent that much on a screen you should find a decent dealer and spend the time trying out different options even if you don't want to spend loads of cash on a top of the range player. Well worth investing a few nights to find the best one. Plus it's great fun!